• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Need some help with a problem I've been having. I have a Springfield milspec 1911, and my last two range trips with it have been cut short. Each time the first 30 rounds or so function flawlessly, after that I cannot get a round to chamber at all. I put the mag in, let the slide go, and the first round gets hung up. I've tried it with both the slide already forward and with it locked back. So after getting really frustrated I end up taking the gun home and cleaning it. But once it's been cleaned the same rounds from the same magazines will chamber no problem.

All I have magazine wise are the two Springfield mags it came with. The rounds 185 grain hollow-point reloads. At first I thought maybe I hadn't crimped the rounds enough, so I tightened up the factory crimp die and ran them all through again, same problem at the range. Not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong with it or if I should just call Springfield and possibly send the gun back to them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i also would like to know if FMJs do the same thing? Is the gun brand new?

I had a 1911 that would not feed several types of JHPs because the shape of the bullet would cause them to get hung up on the ramp.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Well.....I've actually never fired factory rounds in it. Was able to get a good deal on some .45 reloading components right before I bought it so that's what I've been shooting. I had some FMJ reloads that were the first ones shot out of it and they worked fine. I'd read about 1911s having problems with JHPs, but mine work fine for the first 4 or 5 mags. I'll probably break down a buy a box or two of factory ammo and do some experimenting.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If the gun is brand new ,you probably have the break in blues .Get a box of factory FMJ & run through & this helps get a (for lack of a better term) a little polish on the ramp & get things loosened up a bit.Usually reloaded ammo could be lower powered,to heavy or light of a crimp or not quite the right length to chamber consistantly.Ive had the same problem & keep digital calipers on the reloading bench due to the type of lead bullet I use & check every 25 to 30 rds to make sure the dies are staying locked in.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    When I bought a factory Colt many moons ago, it wouldn't feed anything but ball ammo. Eventually I took it to a 'smith who ramped and throated it. After that it would feed anything. Guessin maybe you just need a little work on the ramp.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    When I bought a factory Colt many moons ago, it wouldn't feed anything but ball ammo. Eventually I took it to a 'smith who ramped and throated it. After that it would feed anything. Guessin maybe you just need a little work on the ramp.

Agree that this would likely "fix" it... but before I went this route with a springfield (because they generally have pretty good QC and in my experience don't have a lot of issues like this), I'd want to see if it's really an ammo problem first. I'd bet 3 sticks of juicy fruit that factory fmj will run just fine, as well as MOST factory jhp. If the OP finds that he's only having trouble with his homebrewed stuff, it MIGHT make sense to make a change there rather than to the gun... but even that's not a gimme -- something the OP would have to weigh and consider and make the choice that's best for him, once he has all the right info.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    what is the OAL of your reloads?.....another thing did you crimp them to take the bell out of them?.....1 more thing....pull your barrel when loadin' you rd's and do a drop in test....if them drop in and drop out you should be good to go....try different mags too...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Nothing really to add here; I would check the O.A.L. of my reloads, do the drop test in the chamber, do a quick inspect of the geometry and condition of the feed ramp. I don't know who makes the magazines for Springfield, but you might also go with Wilson 47D's or Chuck McCormick PowerMags - it seems most 1911 owners eventually migrate toward them, sooner or later.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It will be helpful to know how the FTF is happening? Stalling on the feed ramp? Catching on the hood? ???

If it were me, I'd do these things in this order:

1. Try factory 230 FMJ ammo
    2. Buy or borrow a Wilson Combat 47D magazine.
    3. Try the 47D with both factory 230 FMJ and then your reloads

If it still doesn't run, back to the factory.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have had issues with Hornady XTPs hanging up on the ramp of both of my springfields. These were handloads, and after much tinkering, found that with that bullet profile, OAL and crimp were critical for reliable function. For reference, the LRN 230 handloads I roll work flawlessly, as do WWB factory hardball, along with winchester 185 gr silvertips and federal 185gr hydrashoks.
    First fix to try would be a box (BIG box) of factory hardball, to make sure its broken in well, and move to factory hollow points. If these all run smooth, I would look back at your handloads, and play around a bit with OAL and see where your pistol likes them.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    With my kimber I've discovered magazine geometry is the most important factor.

It does not like anything except for wadcutter feed lips. It will feed from hybrids but, there will be some set back on the first round chambered.

Secondly, I've discovered the bullet it likes best is 200gr hornady FMJ-CT, which is a thick copper jacketed SWC. The gun runs excellent like this with a nice hot load. I did do quite a bit of "mirror" polishing on the internals just to remove that from the checklist.

Seems to run great for me. For you I'm guessing that the feed ramp isn't cut very smoothly, and powder residue is getting caked in there, sticking to rounds as they're trying to feed. If you don't know how to polish steel to a mirror shine, without any ripples or deformations in it, then I suggest having the work done by a gun smith, it's very easy to over-heat the metal.

*update* Just tried hand cycling some empty brass with wadcutter and hybrid mags, then tried JHPs. Heh, the gun runs them now, Guess it's finally worked its self in.

Last edited:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Polish the feedramp. My COLT was from the custom shop. when it was brand new, it would not feed ball rounds!!! The feedramp was so serrated they would hang up. Can you imagine? A new gun that had been to the custom shop and it wouldn't even feed ball rounds???

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Seems to run great for me. For you I'm guessing that the feed ramp isn't cut very smoothly, and powder residue is getting caked in there, sticking to rounds as they're trying to feed. If you don't know how to polish steel to a mirror shine, without any ripples or deformations in it, then I suggest having the work done by a gun smith, it's very easy to over-heat the metal.

Based on the fact that the rounds won't chamber before cleaning but will afterwards, sounds like this is a possibility. I'll try some factory ammo next range trip. Thankfully I don't have too many more of this type of bullet to go through, will definitely be switching to a different type once they run out. Thanks for the responses everyone.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Based on the fact that the rounds won't chamber before cleaning but will afterwards, sounds like this is a possibility. I'll try some factory ammo next range trip. Thankfully I don't have too many more of this type of bullet to go through, will definitely be switching to a different type once they run out. Thanks for the responses everyone.

My Colt wouldn't feed or eject WWB. I polished the feedramp and correct the feed issue. The ejection issue took a full length guide rod, a lighter spring and a new extractor. Now it feeds and ejects anything. I would bet you could load 4g of powder and it would cycle just fine.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Got out to the range today, turns out the ammo was the problem. I shot some of my hollowpoint reloads, the first couple mags worked fine just like they have been. Switched to factory 230-grain FMJ ammo and it worked fine as well. Shot a couple mags of that to dirty up the gun a little bit. Went back to the hollowpoints, first round started jamming just like in the past. Tried a mag of the FMJ and it worked no problem. Shot the rest of the factory box without any difficulty (well, except for my accuracy, but that's another story). Guess I won't be bothering to reload any more hollowpoint bullets for this gun.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Got out to the range today, turns out the ammo was the problem. I shot some of my hollowpoint reloads, the first couple mags worked fine just like they have been. Switched to factory 230-grain FMJ ammo and it worked fine as well. Shot a couple mags of that to dirty up the gun a little bit. Went back to the hollowpoints, first round started jamming just like in the past. Tried a mag of the FMJ and it worked no problem. Shot the rest of the factory box without any difficulty (well, except for my accuracy, but that's another story). Guess I won't be bothering to reload any more hollowpoint bullets for this gun.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

it will feed the hollow points if you get them loaded right.....sounds to me the OAL is a little long...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Glad you figured it out BEFORE monkeying with the mechanics/angles of the gun!
    As stated above, check the OAL.
    Adjust accordingly, and you might have a winning ticket there.

Top Bottom