• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    That was for the para. Last time I was in there was a couple months ago though. Who knows if they still have it. You could call and check. I picked up my springfield from someone on here for $450 with 5 mags and 3 sets of grips. I couldn't pass that deal up. :ingo:

That is an excellent deal. Sorry for threadjack and thanks for the info.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    No prob. Oh btw if the OP wants to call them and see if they still have that para or not you can find the phone # on here. I'd type it out myself cause I have it saved in my phone, but didn't know if I might get in trouble.

HiTechVeteran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Pflugerville Texas (Austin)
    I have done A LOT of homework on this one.

I started with the recommendation from the local gunstore -- Kimber

Then I started doing homework online and asking questions.

If you are going to use it as a carry piece, you need to look for a single stack mag and good controlability etc.

I started with the Colt Defender, S&W Sub-Compact, Kimber Ultra II and a few others, but the one that stood out was the one I'm buying.

I'm getting a Sig C3 and I think it is very kewl. It is a Sig refurb, but it will do for my first 1911. Once I'm comfortable with it I am probably going to trade up to the Sig RCS. I like it a lot.

Check out the Sig website and some of the reviews online. You will be very happy you did!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009 - Page 2 - M4Carbine.net Forums

a buddy of mine just went through a Larry vickers 1911 operators course. the above link is worth a read. but what I got from talking to him was look at what you want out of the gun and realise that the further you get away from the 1911 government model the more likley the problems will be. It is important to learn how to properly inspect, test, and maintain a 1911. Some things like MIM parts, additional saftey features, commander length guns, full length guide rods, double stack mags, etc, etc, can and most likely will effect preformance in a negative way.

AGain this is what I got from the link, and my buddy after HE took the class. That said I'm not a 1911 owner and only shot about 4 differnt 1911's. I will have one soemday and most likley wont get it till after I go through a class with someone like Mr. Vickers that has a lot more knowledge then I do.

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    GET A COLT

colt1911006.jpg
    HERE IS A GOOD ONE TO GET,I LOVE MINE SLEEP WITH HER EVERY NIGHT:ingo:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    :patriot:I have both a Taurus and a Smith and Wesson 1911. The Smith is stainless while the Taurus is their basic blued model. The Smith has adjustable target sites while the Taurus has the Heine figure 8 sights. I can not tell any difference in operation or basic quality even though the Smith did cost much more. I do not shoot either one any better than the other while looking through my tri-focals. I have shot hundreds of rounds through both with both having about the same number of DNEs that I could not determine the cause. The Taurus is my suitcase gun while the Smith stays in its case so as not to scuff it up. However, I would depend on either to defend myself, if necessary. I would recommend the Taurus over the Smith only because of the target sites on the Smith. Just my two cents.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been very happy with my Springfield Mil-Spec. I've put over 1000 rounds through it with few problems. Since putting a new recoil spring in, there have been no problems.
    n1105180632_2009567_4190.jpg

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I'd say RIA if you are looking for an inexpensive GI type 1911. My wife's has been flawless through the 500 rounds she's put through it, and my step-father and best friend both have similar experiences with theirs. Cathy's is much more accurate than I would have expected, also.

I second the RIA... Only problem mine had the first time out was the slide would lock back from time to time before the mag was empty. I ordered a new springfield slide stop from Midway and about 400 rounds later without a single hiccup. Trigger is very nice for a gun of this price and is pretty darn accurate too. I probably shoot this thing the best out of all my pistols.

rrmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Avon
    Rock Island is a good gun on a budget. I bought one and installed a long trigger extended slide stop, and ambidextrous safety. I am having a gunsmith install the Novak sights. Makes for a great inexpensive handgun.

bignlittle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    West Harrison
    RIA :thumbsup: Personally RIA and armscor 1911's have been nothing but good to me. The quality is good and never really had any reliability problems. I've actually been eying a few other the newer models lately.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Kimber

I have 2 colts A springfield XD and a kimber ultra carry. All 45 ACPs I have not had an issue with any of them but the kimber is the most acurate and handles better than the others.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    RIA :thumbsup: Personally RIA and armscor 1911's have been nothing but good to me. The quality is good and never really had any reliability problems. I've actually been eying a few other the newer models lately.

I'd say RIA if you are looking for an inexpensive GI type 1911. My wife's has been flawless through the 500 rounds she's put through it, and my step-father and best friend both have similar experiences with theirs. Cathy's is much more accurate than I would have expected, also.
    :+1: There is NOTHING wrong with a RIA...right out of the box.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    What does a RIA cost new. Is it a great deal cheaper then something like a SA GI .45 at $647.00 msrp? Might the little extra cost be worth getting a reputable, well established brand? Honest questions. I've handled a RIA but that is the limit of my experience with them. My instinct says splurge for at least the GI style Colt, Springfield or similar.

Top Bottom