• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    What does a RIA cost new. Is it a great deal cheaper then something like a SA GI .45 at $647.00 msrp? Might the little extra cost be worth getting a reputable, well established brand? Honest questions. I've handled a RIA but that is the limit of my experience with them. My instinct says splurge for at least the GI style Colt, Springfield or similar.
    You can get the RIA for $400-$500...depending on the model. (Impact Guns seems to have the widest variety and best prices) Sure...if you have the extra $200 the SA would be nice. But if you're on a budget...you won't be disappointed with the RIA. :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What does a RIA cost new. Is it a great deal cheaper then something like a SA GI .45 at $647.00 msrp? Might the little extra cost be worth getting a reputable, well established brand? Honest questions. I've handled a RIA but that is the limit of my experience with them. My instinct says splurge for at least the GI style Colt, Springfield or similar.

The last prices I saw at a gun store was $380 for the GI 1911A1, and $425 for the Tactical.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    heres a quick clip of a RI 1911. (warning you might duck out of your chair at the end of the clip)
    [ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OFBAtwdgs[/ame]

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    If your going on a budget get a Norinco. It has the forged slide and frame and real steel parts not MIM junk parts like some of the lower end 1911's come with.
    Norinco's were 200 bucks when they were first imported now they bring $425+, what does that tell you!

I would stay away from RIA, Charles Daly, Auto Ordnance etc. due to low resale value.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    if my budget was around $400, go with the RIA. otherwise, get a Spinger GI or Milspec.

Taurus 1911s can be hit or miss and their CS sucks. My pt1911 was fun to shoot, but the blueing was really bad.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    That 2-3 hundred dollars less for the RIA is nothing to scoff at. I'll have to try one out sometime. I just read some good reviews on them. One said, they have a new .38 super model. If this is so that might be the one for me. It's a shame that the cheapest Colt is in the $800 range.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you're willing to be patient and look around, you can find a good deal on a Kimber. I paid 450 for my pre-series II Kimber Classic, in perfect condition, and I got a bunch of mags, the Kuhnhausen Shop manual and a bunch of grips too.

Since then I've put some dough into it, fitted bushing, Ed Brown high beavertail, blended into the frame, some other odds and ends, now looking very sweet with a beautiful new coating from Hoosier Gun Coat.

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    I really like the Springfield Milspec, it just feels good in your hand. The thing I Like about it above the GI is the lowered & flared ejection port. I did look at some RIAs and for the price they seemed to be built nice & tight.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I just read some good reviews on them. One said, they have a new .38 super model. If this is so that might be the one for me.

Rock Island Armory GI .38 Super Contributed Review by Steve Clark Gunner’s Journal

The Rock Island Armory Guns

A Very Special Super

joo can also get it in the bright nickel finish, ese.

ROck-1.jpg
    :pimp:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    That 2-3 hundred dollars less for the RIA is nothing to scoff at. I'll have to try one out sometime. I just read some good reviews on them. One said, they have a new .38 super model. If this is so that might be the one for me. It's a shame that the cheapest Colt is in the $800 range.
    I think you'd be delightfully suprised with the RIA. Colts are beautifully crafted works of art....unfortunately I don't want a safe queen. And if I ever beat up an $800 dollar gun... I'd cry!!! :crying: I'd love to have one again...I just can't justify it.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I think you'd be delightfully suprised with the RIA. Colts are beautifully crafted works of art....unfortunately I don't want a safe queen. And if I ever beat up an $800 dollar gun... I'd cry!!! :crying: I'd love to have one again...I just can't justify it.

You would cry if you saw my Colt's then. What makes me cry is when people consider Colts safe queens. My current carry gun is almost as old as I am and looks like it has never seen a safe; good, clean, well deserved, respectable wear.

I am now personally considering the RIA in .38 super. When I am going to pay Colt prices I'm not able to make myself pass over the .45's. Maybe the RIA will be a nice way to ease into another caliber 1911 for me.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    what about para expert gi?

I suggested this earlier but it seems like it was overlooked. While I have not shot any PO guns they do have quite the reputation, and even while the GI Elite/Expert/whatever it is is their entry level 1911 it seems like a tremendous deal if the quality carries over.

edit - quasi-threadjack - I am extremely indecisive but have pretty much settled on getting the GI Elite for my first pistol and HD weapon. At first I was thinking, Ruger P90. Then S&W M&P. Then an XDm. Then an inexpensive SIG. On and on. :laugh: . But, having said that, if anyone has any experience first hand please PM me with your thoughts!

Last edited:

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Go with the Springfield Armory. I've owned enough RIA's to say that they're OK guns, but usually will need some work.
    what do you mean when you say they usually need a little work. i am a big fan of the 1911 but right now done have the funds for one but want to learn as much as possible befor getting one

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have owned 1 RIA, and sold to add more to my Springfield stable. I woulg go with a Springer. I think that after you shoot it for a while then you can figure out what you want to add on to it later.

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    If you want the best shooting gun,,, stick with the Taurus (I sold my s/f to buy the Taurus. If you want a 1911 that will Never lose value,,, go with the Colt. If you want to pay way too much $ and want a Cadillac,, go with a Wilson. Me ,,I'll stick with my Taurus,,,Best shooting gun for the $$ I've seen yet !! BUT Opinions are like buttholes,,, everyone has one,,, most of em STINK this was mine. Go with what ya know!! have a good-un.

Top Bottom