• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK, OK. Let's not create a dogpile here. Kimber has certainly earned their reputation and recognized as one of the go to brands among production 1911s. I personally think they are a bit overpriced so far as performance but very pretty in finish. Even with the frustration I had with my wife's Kimber she still really loves the gun and wants to shoot it. If a pretty gun is what it takes then so be it. It took quite a bit of tinkering but I did finally get the gun running and it is now sitting in her nightstand safe.

Kimbers can be pretty, but that finish is not durable. I finally solved my finish issues on my Kimber by blasting the aluminum frame bare. It's been a year since done and it still looks great.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Kimbers can be pretty, but that finish is not durable. I finally solved my finish issues on my Kimber by blasting the aluminum frame bare. It's been a year since done and it still looks great.

Oh don't I know. The gun would not wear well in a holster. But looks good on the nightstand.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a tactical ultra ii, not very blued looking any more.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a tactical ultra ii, not very blued looking any more.
    I used to swear that Kimber used melted crayons for their finishes. Except, a melted crayon would probably be a bit more durable. Was your Ultra actually blued or just a blue finish? Worn bluing is nice. Worn blue paint not so much.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    99Stb5Qh.jpg

Kimbers "finish" of choice

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    exactly, its all in personal preference right. and I guess I have just had my best experience with that manufacturer. thought sig was nothing special. and its always the old timers that reference a colt. experience/experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    exactly, its all in personal preference right. and I guess I have just had my best experience with that manufacturer. thought sig was nothing special. and its always the old timers that reference a colt. experience/experience.

Had several Colts and the 70 series were just fine but the new stuff not so much.
    I hear they are stepping up the program though. Time will tell.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Mine is a Kimber TLE \ RL II Custom, runs great. Bought in 05, only issues were operator errors (as I've let others use it, and limp wristing,). I'm happy with my quality. I'm not saying there aren't better, but I'm positive there are worse. Also, mine was one of the first with a rail. So glad I'd bought it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mine is a Kimber TLE \ RL II Custom, runs great. Bought in 05, only issues were operator errors (as I've let others use it, and limp wristing,). I'm happy with my quality. I'm not saying there aren't better, but I'm positive there are worse. Also, mine was one of the first with a rail. So glad I'd bought it.

Being a person that gets deep into my guns I see them through a different set of eyes.
    I evaluate a lot of things that the regular gun owner just does not really care about.
    Fit/Finish/function and so on are evaluated to critical levels.
    In this I have felt some of the premier marques just fell short on.
    My Kimbers ran just fine. I and my son just did not care for them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    And then there is a buddy of mine, who is a very experienced shooter and shoots a lot. He says he has never had a Kimber that ran the way it should. He says he will never own another Kimber. They are pretty, though.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    And then there is a buddy of mine, who is a very experienced shooter and shoots a lot. He says he has never had a Kimber that ran the way it should. He says he will never own another Kimber. They are pretty, though.
    True enough, anything mass produced will always put out a lemon, even if it's less than one in ten thousand, but if you get the lemon, makes it crappy. I know Colt had awhile where they're quality control wasn't great, although I've heard they are getting better. I'm sure Kimber has probably had the same thing. Other than the hand built ones, I'm sure they've all had a bad couple out with their name on it. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom