• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think it has more to do with the risk of failure than actual round counts. If your pistol fails 1 in 100 rounds, there's a 1% chance your next trigger pull will result in failure. 1 in 1000 rounds, it's 0.1%. At the end of the day, we all want to be confident that if we have to draw the gun will run to empty.
    I think there's more of a curve to it than that. A really crappy gun can run 10,000 rounds without an issue if it's cleaned and lubed every 10 rounds where as a really good gun can fail past 2000 rounds if running dirty ammo and no maintenance. And, 1911s do need maintenance. I had a compact that I ran Wolff springs in that had a 400 round life. It was an island gun and most likely would not have made it through a 500 round class, but since it was not designed to make it through 500 rounds without a spring change, would that count as a failure of the gun or a failure of the owner?

I do wish I had the money to run all of my 1911s to the failure point to see how they compare. It would be interesting to see how compacts compare to full size guns and how the different types of springs impact the function. The CCO runs a standard GI style short guide rod and single spring where as the Kimber Compact runs a reverse plug full size guide rod with a flat wire spring. I'd be more than happy to run these guns until they cried uncle if some company would sponsor me with a few pallets of ammo.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I must be the luckiest SOB around. ALL my guns run 100%.
    I had trouble with some Island guns in the wannabe 1911 format.
    My newest Glock 19 wouldn't reset the trigger the first 3 rounds. NHT3 fixed that in about 10 minutes. Lack of lube out of the box. Since that day a couple thousand rounds without a hiccup.
    I have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Loaded 4" with 6-8K through it. NEVER had a problem with it. It's been 100% out of the box.
    Oh, Maintenance? I will do a field strip every few months or so. I shoot a lot btw. 200-500 rds per gun per week I'm guessing. I finally quit keeping count.
    I have WW2 1911s all original including springs that run great. Round count is clueless.
    The only 1911s I have changed springs in are Kimbers and those nasty PI guns. I see no reason to change or fix a gun that ain't broken.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hat's off to you Harry! I wish I had the money to run that many rounds through my guns each week. I'm lucky to hit 500 rounds per month total. I guess it's true that the more you run em, the better they run.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    I have a Colt, two Kimbers and an STI. The colt is a 45, one Kimber in 45 and one in 9mm while the STI is a 40. I have learned they all function differently and have different levels of maintenance. I have found the process to be a huge learning experience. The rounds (loads), springs, grip, and magazines all are just a few of the possible factors to look at when having issues.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hat's off to you Harry! I wish I had the money to run that many rounds through my guns each week. I'm lucky to hit 500 rounds per month total. I guess it's true that the more you run em, the better they run.

I'd say it just a little different. The more I shoot the guns the better I get at shooting the guns. Too many times it's not the gun messing up.
    I've got a buddy that can't shoot a semi hand gun. FTE, FTF, 3 pt hang ups, etc. I can pick up the guns and they run 100% for me. He's dead on with any wheel gun but doesn't seem to have the knack with anything else.
    I see guns that only have problems in some hands.
    I'm retired, own my home, minimal bills so I have the money to support my hobbies. I have a gun budget for every month. Ammo is like gasoline. I'm going to drive so I need gas.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    My DW Valor has eaten everything I've fed it. Even using the factory supplied mags (shooting star?) and steel and aluminum cased rounds. However, budgetary limitations (see "using steel and aluminum cased ammo") it only has a bit over 1200 rounds through it, and all indoors.

*ETA: I put 5-700 consecutive rounds through it with only a drop or two of weaponshield in areas i could apply it without field stripping the weapon before cleaning. Ran like a champ.

I'm going to put 150 rounds through it this afternoon and hopefully some more on Saturday if I can make it to the bowling pin match at MCFG. Hopefully I'll be able to take a few classes with it in the future as well.

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My DW Valor has eaten everything I've fed it. Even using the factory supplied mags (shooting star?) and steel and aluminum cased rounds.
    I've been shooting PMC Bronze and hand loads using that brass. I need to tag my magazines so I can identify which ones are having issues, but I have the two factory mags and three more I bought from CZ USA. The only difference is one has a flat baseplate and the factory ones have a plastic extension.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brand whoring Wilson in every 1911 discussion.... go figure. What you're trying to say is don't use cheap magazines. I highly doubt Dan Wesson (CZ) is distributing junk with these: https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/20029_Dw-45-Acp-Mag-8-Rd-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Base

Wilson mags are about the same price point.....

Well.....just to make a point, I have 40 Wilson 48 series mags in my range case. I also have 30 Chip McCormick 10 round mags.
    Yes, the Wilsons do work. No mage related issues at all.

I am sure those who run other good brands will say the same of their choice.
    Oh, I am not Whoring the marque just stating my personal experiences.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Seasoned experience counts. There are too many people these days that will say something is junk but have never tried a competitor.

My mag issue is that it will fire, eject, throw the next round out the ejection port and load the third. Loose lips sink ships... and waste ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seasoned experience counts. There are too many people these days that will say something is junk but have never tried a competitor.

My mag issue is that it will fire, eject, throw the next round out the ejection port and load the third. Loose lips sink ships... and waste ammo.

Works for you.

I grew weary of Mag issues. Tried a few brands along the way with mixed results.
    Then I decided I do not like to load mags at the range. Just hate it.
    Started buying the Wilsons and CM's when they were on special usually 3 at a time.
    Even on special X3 is salty. I did this enough times that I now have more than enough to run all day at the range.

Now, if I could just get to this level with the 10mm 2011

LT Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2016
    Greenville
    I have a couple of government model 1911's, the one I'd really like to get is a lighweight commander in 45acp. Light, flat and accurate. Great carry gun.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Speaking of LW Commander... I do carry one quite often, the Colt Wiley Clapp and really like it. Anyway back to what I was going to post...
    I read a comment from Les Baer the other day. He doesn't make a LW Commander because he said after a couple hundred thousand rounds the frame starts wearing....
    I found it an interesting comment.

LT Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2016
    Greenville
    That Wiley Clapp Commander is really nice. You have good taste.
    The older Colt frames have been known to crack after a lot of hard use. For me I can train with a steel frame gun and lighly use a lightweight for concealed carry. No problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking of LW Commander... I do carry one quite often, the Colt Wiley Clapp and really like it. Anyway back to what I was going to post...
    I read a comment from Les Baer the other day. He doesn't make a LW Commander because he said after a couple hundred thousand rounds the frame starts wearing....

I have seen frame wear in many LW offerings including DW.
    They really need to be clean and well lubed.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

No way...

Top Bottom