• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I realize this is a dead horse but my search fu didnt answer it well enough to suit me.
    Are there any makes or models of 1911 that are just so likely to give me big problems as to avoid wholely?
    I own a rossi revolver it is a fine gun for the money, I've never seen a Hi point misfire, so also fine for the money.
    I've seen two Jimenez(380,9mm) break at under the 100 round count= Avoid.
    My dad was asking about advice on getting one and I realized I didnt really have any to give, so please help me out with some. Thanks guys.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, in the sub 800 range. I would probably go with an RIA based upon their customer service and use the rest for ammo.

I have a metro arms American Classic II in hard chrome, that last year would've met your requirements (price has been steadily increasing). I haven't had to deal with their customer service, but I know a bunch of people had to get an EGW higher mag catch due to feeding issues at the top of the magazine. Thankfully mine didn't need it and worked with wilson mags.

I have heard positive and negative issues with Taurus 1911's, but I am unfamiliar with them.

A better question I can ask: is this for EDC/nightstand, or competition, or plinking?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I own a rossi revolver it is a fine gun for the money, I've never seen a Hi point misfire, so also fine for the money.
    I've seen two Jimenez(380,9mm) break at under the 100 round count= Avoid.
    None of those manufacturers produce 1911s.
    Don't confuse High Point with Chiappa... different companies (both in Ohio), but use the same distributor.

As for your question, though... I'd steer clear from Regent (made in Turkey), but that's the only one. I don't have enough info about Girsan (also Turkish), other than a few spring issues, which are easily replaced.
    Aside from those... haven't really heard anything majorly problematic about any of the entry level ones that couldn't be addressed by a part swap.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I have a Tilias and a Regent 1911 (both Turkish). Bought new in the $400-$450 price range from Bud's in KY. I have fired at least 500 rounds thru each and have had no troubles at all.
    I have A Charles Daly made in the Phillippines ($500) that works great.
    My Taurus cost $650 and also has had no issues with a lot of casual shooting.
    I have 3 Para's, two 40 S&W and 1 1911 45acp. All function just fine and cost $500-$600.
    If you are planning for a casual shooting gun one of the less expensive imports might be a good answer.

Btw I also have a Dan Wesson, a Colt Delta Elite, 2 Springfields and a Kimber. They are all fine handguns, but theycost a lot more than the first group did !!!

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Thanks guys, My dad probly wouldnt shoot it as much as me. He has a habit of buying the things he thinks he wants, and without guidance he buys junk. Example= he has a rural king dirt bike and a bush hog just for mowing fence lines, for his 2 acre yard with no fence. Thought i had heard alot of bad things about one brand, just cant remember which one thinking it was llama, but not sure enough to repeat it out loud.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Shawn,
    it may be a LLAMA. I have one that looks great but doesn't shoot well at all. I would not recommend the brand except for a collector of 'off-brands'. It is a Handsome Hi-Cap 1911, but I would never make it my sole defense gun.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    If I had $800 it would be a used Colt, no question.

The genuine article.

The standard issue.

The real deal.

All others are copy's.

Although some are quite outstanding.

Jimmy

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    i own a citadel made by armscor same as ria. bought it at bass pro was on clearance 499.00

shot 500 rounds through it ball and also hollow point 1 ftf was with a crappy old mag i had laying around stuck with factory mags and it works great.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    At $800 you can own a very sweet Springfield Range officer. For the money you will not get better out of the box accuracy.

This^^

You might be able to get into a Springfield loaded if you find a great deal or go used. For new options, the range officer is an outstanding firearm for the money, you won't be disappointed either way.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    IIRC, in no particular order, S&W, Ruger, Springfield Armory, and Para USA all make vary good 1911s in the$600- $800 range. I base this opinion on Gun Tests magazine's reviews as I have long considered buying a 1911 my self.

Top Bottom