• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .35 Remington trimmed. TC Super 16.
    Saw the deer ahead about 90 or so yards. Had to boogie after him about 30 to get a shot, popped him at about 65 yards.
    Thought I saw him flinch through the Leupold.
    No blood for first 20 yards (big leaps) and then it got good.
    Total travel after impact was 75 yards max. Bullet exited.
    Entrance visible.

RjMDSM6.jpg

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    At shooting light started grunts, hunting on the ground with open fields, and creek brush behind me. 30 minutes later after a couple grunts and deer came from creek and brush, came out at 30 yards and was ugly big bodied 5 pt. and dropped him with the old 12. ga. Mossberg pump, rifled slug barrel and Winchester X rifled slug. Called son at his house nearby and he came over. Loaded him up and saw DNR stop on road, then he drove back along the field to us. Thought it was CO that I knew but was different guy. Good CO and I already had my license out and offered him to look at. Turns out he was looking for a guy that had trespassed nearby and was in a guys stand….hunter told him to get down and get off property and as the jerk left he fired his shotgun 4 or 5 times up in the air to scare the deer. What a jackwagon, trespasses, takes a stand and then gets mad he gets kicked off and shoots gun to scare any deer around…..hope the CO gets him, he's got discription. Anyway had only seen a doe and yearlings and one buck with one 4" antler during archery, lots of hunters so settled for this one.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I saw a nice doe and a nice young buck that was a solid 8 pointer, but nothing worth shooting yet with an exception of for meat... We will see, neighbor is out blowing through some ammo right now so not a whole lot of promise going out this evening, I'll be out tomorrow though!

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I took a doe around 10:00 am. She dressed out at 115 lbs. Shot her with a winchester 94 using hornady 357 leverevolution. Was a weird shot, about 35 yard with irons, thought I missed her and she ran straight at me so I shot again and dropped her with a head shot. During field dressing the first shot passed through both lungs and the top of the heart but did not exit. It went into her shoulder and broke it. Glad the second shot dropped her because there was no blood coming out, not blood trail at all, it all stayed in the chest. I did have a buck sneak past just out of range earlier, I am going to change stands tomorrow morning to see if I can get him.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It's been nonstop shooting here most of the day. I have a few rather cautious deer in my back yard at the moment. They normally don't care when they see movement near the house. Today, they are spooky and run at the slightest sound. I'm hoping some of the shots I heard were coyotes being shot. Took a drive around the property about noon and saw nothing to indicate anyone trespassing here.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Squirrelapalooza today. 7 fox and 2 pineys all within a 50 yard circle.......at same time.

Its like all the other animals know its opening day of deer season, don't they?

Shortly before I shot my deer I saw a big coyote cruising along the edge of the woods. He never stopped so I didn't shoot for fear of ruining the rest of the deer hunting for the day. Right after I shot my deer a big raccoon starts walking around about 10-15 yds from where I had just shot the deer. Tons of squirrels chattering...all mocking the deer hunters that won't shoot them!

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Saw 20 or so today between all our spots, I didn't take a shot on any. The focus was for my 8 yr old to get his first, and he did! I don't know who was more excited. Back out tomorrow, and it's my turn. Saw a nice 10 so that's the one I'll be looking for.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Two does were chased by my stand and they didn't slow down. The turkeys were out and about, though. I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I found my AR sling that's been missing, so I'm really hoping to get a good shot.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We saw a dozen does this morning and one small buck but only because the slobs that hunt north of us ran them all out. Sounded like WWIII all around us this morning for the first hour then a few more in the following hour. Went back out this afternoon and saw one doe, only heard two shots.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We don't have many deer on our property. We are fortunate if we get 3 shot opportunities per season (but sometimes actually see more during bow season). We do enjoy the fact that we can just stumble out of bed and walk 10 min back to our deer stands, so we keep hunting at home.

Didn't see a darn thing this morning. What was unusual for opening morning is that I heard no nearby shots the first hour. It was between 9 and 10 am that I heard quite a few.

This evening, we found 3 morons set up on our neighbor's property. Our neighbors don't hunt so they let some cousins come over. Every year, these guys come out the first weekend. The one thing they do that annoys me is they usually leave 20-30 min before end of legal hunting hours. Hey, if you've been there for a while, why the heck are you giving up just before it's over, plus making noise when you walk out.

Well tonight they were more moronic than ever. 3 guys, 8 shots during the last 40 min, I'm not sure if a deer was even involved in this process.
    First I heard 3 shots in succession. Knowing we never see "herds" around here, I surmised someone missed. Ok, it happens. 2 min later a gun of a different caliber fires. Another moment later the 2nd gun fires again.

I see these guys come walking out a few minutes later (before the end of hunting hours of course). They stop and talk to the 3rd guy. Just as they walk away, I hear HIM shooting. His buddies seemed as surprised as I did and were standing there looking at him firing off 3 rounds. The chances that he had a deer nearby right when the 3 of them were talking is pretty slim. It seemed these guys were just emptying their guns into the woods.

I can only hope they are drinking enough tonight that they don't show up tomorrow.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Didnt see anything. However based on the shots and other hunters picking up their deer I was cut off. Trying a different stand and hoping for some no shows in the morning

Top Bottom