• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    After a complete morning bust, I wasn't even going to go out this afternoon. My six-year-old was super excited about wanting to go with me as I will sometimes he take him to some private land where I know no one else is hunting. He was so worked up, that I finally said I would take him out for an hour before sunset with the thought I could maybe shoot a doe for the freezer. Right at sunset, with about 25 minutes of shooting light left, this guy came wandering out and froze with a window through the brush to his vitals. I was pretty sure he knew we were there as we were just sitting on the ground, and I had a couple of foot window with him standing so I took the shot. Dropped him in his tracks, biggest deer I've ever shot or probably ever will shoot. Plus I still have a doe tag to take the other boy out hunting with.
    tmpqCq.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Nothing, both mornin and evenin. At 4 pm today saw the only "other hunters" I've ever seen hunting the piece of Morgan Monroe that I hunt. 2 gentleman came threw like the were hiking Mt. Everest and talking (yelling) at each other over the sound of them crunching leaves. They got within 75 yards and then I waved my hat at them. They took off down the other valley.

I did see these this evening tho, and I want this buck...

Last edited:

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Great buck, Fargo.

Roller coaster day today. Shot a buck this morning who ran off. Spent the day thinking that I might have lost him, but thankfully found him dead during my afternoon search session. Then I was able to take two antelerless deer before the end of shooting light. So that's my IN license bundle filled in one day.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Great buck, Fargo.

Roller coaster day today. Shot a buck this morning who ran off. Spent the day thinking that I might have lost him, but thankfully found him dead during my afternoon search session. Then I was able to take two antelerless deer before the end of shooting light. So that's my IN license bundle filled in one day.
    Just saw in your other thread that you found him, really glad to hear it. I have tracked some single-lung deer for friends and they all went quite a ways and were difficult to find. With a good site picture and no gut material, I figured that had to be the case. Really glad you found him.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Went back out this evening, saw eight more deer.
    Was lucky enough to shoot a button buck at about 25 yards. AND, a 10 pointer with a drop tine at about 50 yards five minutes later. And had a small 6 pointer within 15 yards at the same time. I think I may have interrupted a rumble.
    Had I not missed a doe this morning, I could have filled my bundle.
    Hopefully will have pics to come. There are pics up on FB page Indiana deer and predator hunting.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Took my wife out yesterday morning. Only saw a couple bucks. Both were shooters, but she couldn't get a shot on either (crossbow).
    It is insane how many rapid shots I heard. People, just because you have a gun that can hold more than one round, you don't have to shoot more than once...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Deer hunting can be like sex..............the more noise you make, the more fun you are having.
    I've done the rapid shooting on deer (seems like it's slower to you, but your buddy hears you running a machine gun).
    Of course, when I did that the deer was moving for shot #1, or took off and I couldn't spot the hit, so I used some "insurance".
    Guys at check in used to rib me.........because my deer had multiple good hits on them.

Small parcel hunting..........it might be sound judgement to hammer repeatedly.

Not everybody that shoots repeatedly is shooting poorly.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I saw the biggest buck of my life last night at dusk. Him and a smaller buck were chasing a group of does through a cut soybean field. Probably about 200 yards away. As I was driving down interstate 64. :tantrum: :ugh:

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Went back out this evening, saw eight more deer.
    Was lucky enough to shoot a button buck at about 25 yards. AND, a 10 pointer with a drop tine at about 50 yards five minutes later. And had a small 6 pointer within 15 yards at the same time. I think I may have interrupted a rumble.
    Had I not missed a doe this morning, I could have filled my bundle.
    Hopefully will have pics to come. There are pics up on FB page Indiana deer and predator hunting.

Nice

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As long as it rides home in your truck and the shots are in the vitals...........who gives a flip how many?
    I have blown a shoulder on a deer and had it run a bit.

CNS? Done that a few times, on purpose.

I'll go for shoulderblades if I can, and /or heart lungs.
    Probably a better shot than most, killed a few deer too...........and I still like a bigger target, just in case.

And extra round is not a bad thing either.

Last few yrs I've been running a freakin Contender. Not exactly a belt feed.
    Grew up chucking with a #1B
    If I'm working a drive you bet I like a repeater and will take a mover if need be.

IMHO if you have any doubt, hammer the deer again.

Hear too many stories of a perfect shot and lost deer by purists.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    This is only my second season to hunt deer, but I thought you were only allowed one buck regardless of licence.

A button buck would go on his antlerless tag (since antler length less than 3").
    Without a special hunt or urban zone.............yup, it's a one antlered buck a yr gig.

Went out and laid by a fallen log today. Bud shows up late, saw 2 by field going to our spot, 2 as we unloaded truck.
    I'm bucked out so no big deal.
    I went over by my stand and saw a button, found a nice log on the hill and laid down. Bout 30 mins later 3 small does shuffle to my left in the blowdowns, maybe 40 yards. Yup..........there's the idiot 4 pointer again.

The does spook and run out in front, 40 yards, move down the creek. Hear a grunt and a 100" very white antlered 8 pt follows.
    I get a text that says my hunting bud is going home to swap guns, has an equipment issue.

So I let the 8 slide past and sneak to road, run down to the field and see my bud driving away. he sees me and turns around.
    Hand him my rifle and ammo and say "hit the creek by your stand".

No shot, never saw that 100" buck. But he saw the idiot 4 again, a taller 4, 7 does and a twin to the 125 ish deer I shot yesterday. All in very thick brush.

I was so hoping he'd blast one with my rig.
    Had fun just watching deer this morning, but really really wanted to help him drag a buck out.

He went back to old faithful SG, so might get a call in a few hrs to help drag.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thought about heading out with recurve.
    Use 2 deer a yr.
    But with one at processors and now doe hunting, I don't want to shoot anything that could pull bucks to our little thicket.
    I just went today to shoot a yote, watch deer, and if a wounded doe came from other property.........do a good deed/fill tag.
    The piney squirrel that almost landed on my elbow (while I was in relaxed deer watch mode on the ground).........that was pretty cool.
    He never did spook. I didn't even blink :)

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I went out this morning and saw a small doe and watching it for about 15 minutes, walked right under my stand. Going to head back out about 2 and hope to see a buck.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The yahoos hunting on my neighbor's property aren't making several good shots. It still sounds like a war zone over there. The owner has the place in set-aside so it's been harboring a lot more deer than we have, but perhaps the deer will start hanging out in our woods the next few days.

They've shot at least 12 rounds, no deer.

I saw 4 of those rounds go off today. It was not only unethical from the hunting standpoint, it was getting dangerous.

I saw just 1 doe this morning. She was running but was 200 yds away from me with the interstate in the background, so I didn't even try to stop her. I was pretty sure she ended up in a strip of woods that borders the 2 properties. After I got out of the stand, I decided to go see if I could catch her bedding down and get a shot at her when she came up. Of course, I knew I might just send her over to the yahoos.... which is what happened. 3 of them were standing in a field, presumably gathering up after the morning hunt. She went running within 20 yards of them. One guy started firing and was on his 4th shot when she was 50 yards away and he was shooting at her tail end. The first 3 shots were somewhat downhill and therfore not dangerous to any homes. But the 4th shot was aiming straight off to the west where there are other woods/properties and no way of knowing if someone was in there in his background.

I'm hunting with a single shot 44 right now, so second shots aren't likely an option for me anyway. I do like this gun a lot better than my 12 gauge pump, but I would buy a 44 semi-auto or bolt action if I had the extra cash. There is that rare occasion where 2 or 3 deer come along. I've never had a deer go far after I've shot them with the 44 in the chest; 30 yards at the most.

Top Bottom