Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As in previous years, I am starting this thread to follow the legislative session itself. I will also be starting a "Legislative Wish List" thread a few moments after this one is posted.

Please confine posts in here to those relevant to actual legislative progress: A bill introduced, scheduled to be heard in committee or on the floor of one of the houses of the legislature, scheduled for voting, or being sent to the Governor's desk.

That's not to stifle discussion, but to keep this thread a place for people to come for the most relevant info to get bills they want to see passed into laws, passed.

Thanks, all!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have word from a highly placed and reliable source that Mr. Lucas is doing his part for gun owners this next session! I don't have specifics to release yet, but I'm told that
    when his bills are introduced, we will be very pleased with them. I do not have bill numbers to give you yet, but will provide those ASAP. Meanwhile, let's get some letters sent to support Rep. Lucas with Speaker Bosma and Rep. Dermody!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    At the present time, I find 138 proposed bills before the Senate, none posted right now on the House side.

Of these, I find two that should get our attention, only one of which surprises me, and I'd certainly like some clarification on what initiated it before I speak for or against.

SB 36 from Sen. Jim Tomes seeks to remove "alcohol abuser" from the list of things for which someone can be disqualified from receiving a LTCH.

SB 86 from Sen. Jean Breaux seeks to implement an 8 hr training class to obtain the license, beginning in December 2016.

Speaking strictly from opinion, and without contacting any sources in Indy, I'd guess that the latter is DOA, but don't let that keep you from speaking against it. Training is good and should be encouraged, but it should not be made mandatory.

Sen. Tomes' bill, however, concerns me. If someone already has two convictions for alcohol-related offenses (OWI?), I'm not sure how comfortable I am with actively moving to encourage them to carry. That is to say, it is still their right to defend their life and those dear to them, and they will likely carry anyway if they are disposed to do so, I'm just questioning the wisdom of, for lack of a better term, putting temptation in harm's way.

I'm not going to speak against Sen. Tomes or his bill at this point in time. I'm going to await further information.

Blessings,
    Bill

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    At the present time, I find 138 proposed bills before the Senate, none posted right now on the House side.

Of these, I find two that should get our attention, only one of which surprises me, and I'd certainly like some clarification on what initiated it before I speak for or against.

SB 36 from Sen. Jim Tomes seeks to remove "alcohol abuser" from the list of things for which someone can be disqualified from receiving a LTCH.

SB 86 from Sen. Jean Breaux seeks to implement an 8 hr training class to obtain the license, beginning in December 2016.

Speaking strictly from opinion, and without contacting any sources in Indy, I'd guess that the latter is DOA, but don't let that keep you from speaking against it. Training is good and should be encouraged, but it should not be made mandatory.

Sen. Tomes' bill, however, concerns me. If someone already has two convictions for alcohol-related offenses (OWI?), I'm not sure how comfortable I am with actively moving to encourage them to carry. That is to say, it is still their right to defend their life and those dear to them, and they will likely carry anyway if they are disposed to do so, I'm just questioning the wisdom of, for lack of a better term, putting temptation in harm's way.

I'm not going to speak against Sen. Tomes or his bill at this point in time. I'm going to await further information.

Blessings,
    Bill

Definitely interesting and will be waiting for clarification as well. I wouldn't expect Tomes to put something forward on the issue of 2A that I don't agree with.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Additional info: Bills SB 41-SB 65, SB 98 and 99, SB 102-108, and SB 110-115 are "vehicle bills", meaning they're filed to allow for them to be amended later, if needed, but at the present time contain no content.

In addition, SB 6, 94, 95, 96, 97, 101, and 121 are not in the list at all.

Any of these might and probably will be added later. No way to predict what they will contain.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have word from a highly placed and reliable source that Mr. Lucas is doing his part for gun owners this next session! I don't have specifics to release yet, but I'm told that
    when his bills are introduced, we will be very pleased with them. I do not have bill numbers to give you yet, but will provide those ASAP. Meanwhile, let's get some letters sent to support Rep. Lucas with Speaker Bosma and Rep. Dermody!

Blessings,
    Bill

Having talked to Mr. Lucas a few times, I can guarantee we will like what we see. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    We are up to SB 200 at the present time, with unfilled gaps at SB 6, 101, 139, 170, and 177-199. All of the above listed "vehicle bills" are still vehicle bills at this writing.

No HBs have been published on the IGA website at this time.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    House bills are up and available now

Lucas has
    HB 1055
    and
    HB 1056

Both go to Public Policy Committee

HB 1085 is also there - this deals with CLEO (NFA?) info / requirements ... I'm not well versed on NFA stuff (I barely have $'s for normal stuff, none for things w/ taxed permission slips) so ...

SB 36 (Tomes)
    and
    SB 85 (Breaux) (BAD! NO! STUPID!) are the only 2 there, - SO FAR.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Indiana lawmakers file bills to make guns easier to buy, carry | Fox 59

i had heard, and see in the article above, that he introduced a bill to "allow people to carry on state property, INCLUDING PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES". I thought universities (IU, PU, etc) where already legal (just against policy). Is that not the case?

That was my understanding as well. However as far as students going it violates the student code of conduct which could get them removed. Believe this is coming to allow students to lawfully carry without repercussions from the (state) university. Media just fails in this case to accurately report

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Well no one's update you guys here ...
    so there are a few additions:

Senate:

SB 226 (good number, mediocre bill concept): Senate Bill 226 - Correctional officers and possession of handguns - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Correctional officers and possession of handguns
    SB 259 (mediocre concept): https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/senate/259 Carrying of handguns by employees of the general assembly

Just saw this one ... interesting say 10th amendment (sorry not directly applicable but could 'void' fed oversteps on 2A):
    SB 288: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/senate/288#digest-heading Applicability of federal law in Indiana

AND most "INTERESTING" - or ... MOST OPPOSED:
    HB 1149: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1149 Private gun sales and transfers.

DIGEST: Requires a person who is not a firearms dealer or a holder of a federal firearms license who sells or transfers a firearm to another person to create and electronically transmit a receipt of sale or transfer to the state police department by the end of the business day following the day on which the sale or transfer occurred. Specifies the information to be included in the receipt of sale or transfer, and provides that: (1) failure to transmit the information by the end of the business day following the date of sale or transfer is a Class C infraction; and (2) knowingly or intentionally failing to transmit the receipt of sale or transfer within 30 days of the date of sale or transfer is a Class A misdemeanor. Requires the state police department to establish a nondealer firearm sales and transfer data base and specifies the manner in which the receipt of sale or transfer may be electronically transmitted. Provides that the nondealer firearm sales and transfer data base is confidential and limits access to the data base to law enforcement agencies.

... "SIC'EM" boys n girls. ...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Be sure to get on the phone, and express support for HB 1056. There's very little time to get it through, and I fully expect Bosma to try to sit on it.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    QUICK STATUS UPDATE on "OVERALL"
    (links above, up thread)
    SB 36 - heard yesterday (1/13) - but not approved - on agenda for 1/20; likely will be approved.
    SB 259 - also on agenda for 1/20. ...

Added SB
    SB-387 - off duty and retired LEO ...
    http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/senate/387

House Side:

HB 1085 - Heard but not completed in House Public Policy Committee. This has to do w/ mandatory CLEO sig off; Good, but depending on NFA rule changes, this may be a moot point; still "good" to have as ATFE may be change the rulez.

Add:

HB 1217 - Tax Credit for Training (Lucas) - Seems good (although some may want more): House Bill 1217 - Income tax credit for firearms instruction - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

HB 1293 - Firearms and Federalism (Judy/ Lucas co-auth): protects rights from federal infringements - House Bill 1293 - Firearms and federalism - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

HB 1297 - Firearm ownership and medical records;
    House Bill 1297 - Firearm ownership and medical records - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

Let's keep up the calling - HB 1055 and HB 1056 - need to get these heard. ...

OH - there are several "crime enhancement" measures (of course) ... and 1 relating to firearms for hunting ... this is
    HB 1231 - "Hunting and Property Management"
    House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session
    This is 3 sections:
    1) Rifles for Deer on PRIVATE property
    2) Property Marking requirements (purple, no that's NOT an ingo joke)
    3) Emergency Act

I have a call in to Rep Lloyd Arnold's staff to get a better understanding.
    Especially why this is an emergency act.

All I got for now. KEEP CALLING / WRITING - Share info with others to get it done.

ETA: INGO staff - how did I get that boxed text ??? WTH?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    QUICK STATUS UPDATE on "OVERALL"
    (links above, up thread)
    SB 36 - heard yesterday (1/13) - but not approved - on agenda for 1/20; likely will be approved.

Added SB

House Side:

HB 1085 - Heard but not completed in House Public Policy Committee. This has to do w/ mandatory CLEO sig off; Good, but depending on NFA rule changes, this may be a moot point; still "good" to have as ATFE may be change the rulez.

Add:

HB 1217 - Tax Credit for Training (Lucas) - Seems good (although some may want more): House Bill 1217 - Income tax credit for firearms instruction - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

HB 1293 - Firearms and Federalism (Judy/ Lucas co-auth): protects rights from federal infringements - House Bill 1293 - Firearms and federalism - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

House Bill 1297 - Firearm ownership and medical records - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

OH - there are several "crime enhancement" measures (of course) ... and 1 relating to firearms for hunting ... this is
    House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session
    This is 3 sections:
    3) Emergency Act

All I got for now. KEEP CALLING / WRITING - Share info with others to get it done.

ETA: INGO staff - how did I get that boxed text ??? WTH?

You got it by copying a table, as seen below:
    [noparse]QUICK STATUS UPDATE on "OVERALL"
    (links above, up thread)

Added SB

House Side:

Add:

This is 3 sections:
    3) Emergency Act

ETA: INGO staff - how did I get that boxed text ??? WTH?[/noparse]

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Here is a "weekly update" i just put up on IMAGC:

LINK to this post on FB (come on - a little help if you're there, please?): http://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/920109011414328

The update / post:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2016 JAN 15 - #INLegislature #ContactYourLegislators #TwoWeeksLeft #ShareWithFriends - WEEKLY STATUS UPDATE:

URGENT ACTION ITEMS: Call Rep. Dermody and Speaker Bosma!!! Ask that HB 1056 and HB 1055 get a hearing in the House Public Policy Committee. SEE YESTERDAYS POST for more details & a sample letter: http://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/919778084780754

DEADLINE ALERT: All bills that will move forward must have a hearing before Feb 2; and be passed to the other chamber by Feb Wed 3. CONTACT THE LEGISLTORS NOW!!!!

PROGRESS THIS WEEK:
    SB 036 – was heard but then tabled on Jan 13. It is on the agenda for Jan 20. This bill is minor but worth supporting; it removes questions about items that do not affect eligibility for obtaining an LTCH, from the LTCH application. (Senate Bill 36 - Handgun licenses and alcohol - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session)

HB1085 – was heard in the House Public Policy Committee; but tabled. This makes CLEO sign of a “shall issue” (with documented justification for denial) for NFA forms. This is good, but lower priority with recent NFA rule changes; UNLESS the BATFE gets to capriciously alter the rules (again) – then this is a good thing. (House Bill 1085 - Firearms and certification - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session)

LAST OF THE NEW BILLS
    SENATE:
    SB 226 https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/senate/226 Correctional officers and possession of handguns

SB 259 Senate Bill 259 - Carrying of handguns by employees of the general assembly - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Carrying of handguns by employees of the general assembly. This is listed / included as AGENDA ITEM – WED JAN 20, 2016 for SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE. This is a “quarter baby step forward”; as we would prefer to see HB 1055 to this. Still it would be progress.

SB 387 Senate Bill 387 - Off duty and retired law officers and firearms - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Off duty and retired LEO and Firearms.

HOUSE:
    HB 1217 House Bill 1217 - Income tax credit for firearms instruction - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Income tax credit for firearms instruction (by Mr. Lucas). This is in the WAYS and MEANS committee. This ALSO needs a HEARING. Short of repealing the 16th Amendment, this is good (and should get support from the opposition too, if they want to promote “SAFETY”!)

HB 1293 House Bill 1293 - Firearms and federalism - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Firearms and Federalism (Judy/ Lucas co-author). Protects rights from federal infringements (I think this has a ‘companion bill SB 288, in the state senate).

HB 1297 House Bill 1297 - Firearm ownership and medical records - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Firearm ownership and medical records; (Lucas Co-Author). This would prohibit a practitioner or medical records custodian from disclosing certain information relating to a patient's ownership of a firearm.

And Lastly – more “Hobby Related” for any hunter’s in the crowd.
    HB 1231 House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session Hunting and Property Management (L. Arnold, Author)
    (I have a call in to the Author’s Legislative Aide and sent e-mail – trying to get a better understanding on this.)
    This is 3 sections:
    2) Property Marking requirements (Purple Paint / Flagging?)
    3) Emergency Act

TIME TO GET INVOLVED IS NOW. – CALL / EMAIL – YOUR LEGISLATORS & COMMITTEE CHAIRMEN

There are also several “Criminal Punishment Enhancement” measures for various crimes using firearm; some of which are likely to pass.

Thanks for Sharing Liking, Comments, and Questions. We are here and putting as much effort forth as possible to enable you to be involved.

BB3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    For ANYONE that does not believe contacting legislators can be effective:

I just put up a little update "overall" with a bit of a flash back for IMAGC

So this was our post tonight:
    LINK: https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/921482234610339
    (Below for those w/o facebook, if you're there why aren't you reaching out the rest of the non-Ingo world?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #‎FLASHBACK‬ - ‪#‎HowWeSucceed‬ - ‪#‎GetInvolved‬ - ‪#‎INLegislation‬

We've had a little growth of new people over the last few weeks. I hope everyone has us set to "SEE FIRST IN NEWS FEED" and "GET NOTIFICATIONS". We only do a post a day, unless there is a lot going on, then maybe 2 or 3. If you don't see something from us - I hope you'll come and look.

Today this post showed up in the memories of my news feed (from Jan 17, 2014). We were contacted then by Mr.. Lucas ... and thanked for everyone's effort. WE NEED YOU ALL. That's the way our government is supposed to work for US. If you are not contacting your legislators - Local, State and Federal - There is no way they can know your positions. We are truly a GRASSROOTS organization; you need to contact your neighbors, friends and family that support your Second Amendment rights to help support the legislation.

There is a rumor I've heard that none of the legislation we are supporting this year will get past the committee; The only way WE can beat the rumor, it to VOICE your support for these bills to Rep. Dermody, Speaker Bosma, and your local State Rep.

We need everyone to Support the following bills this year in the house: HB1055, HB1056, HB1085, HB1217, HB1293 and HB1297. CALL, E-MAIL and "share" this with like minded.

Thanks - Take a look at the memory link - and get involved.

BB3

(THIS IS THE LINK TO THE MEMORY POST - quoting this below)
    http://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/561987510559815

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to thank each and every one of you for your efforts in contacting members of the Indiana General Assembly with your opinions concerning proposed 2nd Amendment legislation in IN.

We received this note from Rep Jim Lucas yesterday:

As the author of HB's 1017, 1018 and 1048, I would like to thank everyone for their efforts to help restore more of our Natural Rights to self defense. We have many pro-gun legislators in the Statehouse and seem to have things heading in the right direction. However, firearms are a touchy subject and it's going to take time, perseverance, patience and even more polite perseverance to reach our ultimate goal! I encourage each and every one of you to please POLITELY contact your State Representatives and Senators, and even more importantly, Speaker Brian Bosma and Senate Leader David Long, to let them know how important it is to give firearms bills their due consideration.

Thank you,
    Jim Lucas
    State Representative
    District 69

We take pride in the fact that IMAGC is the premier pro-gun action group in IN. Instead of being a carbon copy of every other group, we have made it our goal to inform, organize, and empower our community to stand in defense of our constitutional rights.

We are the ones doing our own research. We double check every fact. We always follow up when information changes. We never flood our members with useless but entertaining memes or rumors. We give you the relevant information you need to make your own decisions.

You, the members of IMAGC have stood on courthouse steps around the state, where no one else has, proclaiming your rights guaranteed by our Constitution.

You, the members of IMAGC, have actually contacted your legislators and made your voice heard when and where it matters.

We are small, but we are mighty. From the many victories in the last year, through today, and into the future, we receive proof that our efforts do not go unnoticed.

Anti-gun groups are ramping up to a fierce push for gun control in 2014. I am fully confident that as long as each and every one of you continue to stand your ground and spread the word to others, we will not fail.
    Stay alert as we bring you more proposed legislation (good and bad) at both the sate and federal levels.
    Again, thank you all for your efforts.
    -JP

Please take a moment to "like" "comment" or "share" this post to help improve our reach and the overall effect of our community.

I'll say it again; GET INVOLVED. If you want a 'different" government ... you need to do more than sit around and gripe.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Senate Bills

SB 29: Prohibits courts from citing foreign law. This was proposed last year as a reaction to that supposed UN gun ban, it didn't make it anywhere. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.

SB 36: Repeals references to "alcohol abuser" for purposes of determining who is a proper person to receive a license to carry a handgun. Police may not ask about DUI offenses on an application or interview for an Indiana LTCH. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.

SB 86: Requires an 8 hour training class in order to get a license to carry a handgun. Excludes police and military. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.

SB 259: Permits certain employees of the general assembly to carry a handgun within the state capitol building and on the property of the state capitol, as long as they have their license to carry. This bill has a lot of authors and coauthors, so it's likely to pass. Referred to Committee on Judiciary.

SB 288: Any federal law or act that the Indiana General Assembly determines to be a violation of the US Constitution is void in Indiana. Anyone that tries to enforce said law is guilty of a level 6 felony. This can be applied to gun control laws and Obama's executive orders. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

House Bills

HB 1055: Prohibits any state agency, including public universities, from banning the possession or carrying of firearms on their property. Referred to Committee on Public Policy. *This was proposed last year, and the year before, and never made it out of committee.

HB 1056: Constitutional Carry. Referred to Committee on Public Policy. *Also proposed several times, and never made it out of committee.

HB 1085: Requires Chief Law Enforcement Officers to sign off on NFA papers, unless they are no legally allowed to own firearms, or are subject to a criminal proceeding that could result with them being prohibited from owning a firearm. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

HB 1149: Police must be notified of all private sales of firearms. Establishes a nondealer firearm sales and transfer data base and specifies the manner in which the receipt of sale or transfer may be electronically transmitted. Provides that the nondealer firearm sales and transfer data base is confidential and limits access to the data base to law enforcement agencies. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

HB 1217: Provides a state income tax credit to taxpayers who incur expenses in receiving qualified firearms instruction. Referred to Committee on Ways and Means.

HB 1293: Prohibits a state agency, political subdivision, or employee of an agency or political subdivision from: (1) participating in the enforcement of a federal firearms law enacted after January 1, 2016; or (2) using any state funds to aid the federal government in the enforcement of a federal firearms law enacted after January 1, 2016; unless the participation or use of state funds is required by a court order. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

HB 1297: Prohibits a practitioner or medical records custodian from disclosing certain information relating to a patient's ownership of a firearm. Prohibits a political subdivision or the board regulating a practitioner from requiring the practitioner to: (1) inquire whether a patient owns a firearm; (2) document in a patient's medical record whether the patient owns a firearm; or (3) notify any governmental entity of the patient's identification solely on the basis of the patient's ownership of a firearm. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

HB 1334: Police officers, sheriffs or their deputies, and law enforcement officers of the United States government who have 20 or more years of service are entitled to a lifetime license to carry a handgun in Indiana, free of charge. Current law only allows this if they have been honorably retired by a lawfully created pension board or its equivalent. Referred to Committee on Public Policy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom