• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Ya know, this is very sad we even have to talk about this shortage, its hard to believe a company cant supply common ammo like this.You would think they would build another line dedicated to this ammo so they can make more money and satisfy their customers needs.Back in the 30,s and 40,s they used to sell .22 ammo by the individual round at hardware store so you could go hunting, seems like THE GOOD OLD DAYS are coming back?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ya know, this is very sad we even have to talk about this shortage, its hard to believe a company cant supply common ammo like this.You would think they would build another line dedicated to this ammo so they can make more money and satisfy their customers needs.

Building a new ammo line is a major and long-term investment. They have to feel confident that there is sufficient long-term demand to invest in additional buildings and equipment. If you project that it will take one year to build and 5 years production to pay back your building/equipment investment, but the .22 market finally catches up in 2 years, then you can bankrupt your company or at least take a major loss. It is comparatively quick and easy to get workers to work overtime and/or to hire additional shifts to work with the existing equipment, so that is a safer choice as you can also scale back fairly quickly when supply catches up with demand. Reports from ammo companies indicate that is exactly what they have been doing.

Many other calibers have already come back to close to pre-panic levels of supply and prices. It didn't take building new factories to get there.

When politics is driving these spikes, you have a hard time projecting demand and making long-term investments. Many firearm companies that were going nuts producing so much product in 2013 are struggling going into 2015. As government gets more and more in control of business futures (ie: Obamacare and increasing regulations), making business growth decisions becomes harder, with the firearms industry being an extreme example.

PS- The current M855 ammo spike is just another example of politics causing a demand spike. The ammo isn't illegal to sell yet, but customers suddenly increased their purchases and have pretty much emptied out any existing supplies. This wasn't about gun owners suddenly wanting to shoot more. It was about the government interfering in the ammo market.

PPS- I just heard on GunTalk that it costs $50 million to open a rimfire factory. Not an investment that companies take lightly.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Building a new ammo line is a major and long-term investment. They have to feel confident that there is sufficient long-term demand to invest in additional buildings and equipment. If you project that it will take one year to build and 5 years production to pay back your building/equipment investment, but the .22 market finally catches up in 2 years, then you can bankrupt your company or at least take a major loss. It is comparatively quick and easy to get workers to work overtime and/or to hire additional shifts to work with the existing equipment, so that is a safer choice as you can also scale back fairly quickly when supply catches up with demand. Reports from ammo companies indicate that is exactly what they have been doing.

Many other calibers have already come back to close to pre-panic levels of supply and prices. It didn't take building new factories to get there.

When politics is driving these spikes, you have a hard time projecting demand and making long-term investments. Many firearm companies that were going nuts producing so much product in 2013 are struggling going into 2015. As government gets more and more in control of business futures (ie: Obamacare and increasing regulations), making business growth decisions becomes harder, with the firearms industry being an extreme example.

PS- The current M855 ammo spike is just another example of politics causing a demand spike. The ammo isn't illegal to sell yet, but customers suddenly increased their purchases and have pretty much emptied out any existing supplies. This wasn't about gun owners suddenly wanting to shoot more. It was about the government interfering in the ammo market.

QFT +1000 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    $45 per 500 at Stout Field Armory gun show today. Federal 40gr solid.
    If that's the gun show prices, then the shortage is lifting. Gun shows are almost always more expensive than elsewhere.

It's coming down. Just slowly. As long as no other panics happen...

I'll be happy when it gets to $25/550.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If that's the gun show prices, then the shortage is lifting. Gun shows are almost always more expensive than elsewhere.

It's coming down. Just slowly. As long as no other panics happen...

I'll be happy when it gets to $25/550.

Bummer... Last time I bought it was $10 for 500.... Hmmm

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    :stickpoke:anybody remember just 3-4 yrs ago when ww white box 9mm was $11.00 per 100. now its anywhere from $12.00 to $19.00 for a box of 50 :nono:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    :stickpoke:anybody remember just 3-4 yrs ago when ww white box 9mm was $11.00 per 100. now its anywhere from $12.00 to $19.00 for a box of 50 :nono:

Don't remember seeing it that cheap, but I didn't pay that much attention. I think I was getting 9mm Wolf delivered for about $100 a k Delivered. And .45s were about $125 a k delivered.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    LGS out here says their distributor told them .22 would lighten up in the early spring. They currently get it every 2 or 3 weeks he says. When thye do it is usually right around high twenties/low thirties for 500. Sleeves of CCI stuff is still high but they get that in as well.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    LGS out here says their distributor told them .22 would lighten up in the early spring. They currently get it every 2 or 3 weeks he says. When thye do it is usually right around high twenties/low thirties for 500. Sleeves of CCI stuff is still high but they get that in as well.

I could go for $20 a box... But this 40-50 or more a brick is ridiculous.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

Yes and I shot a bunch of them up along with 357 & 45
    Times have forced me into the basement to hand load everything

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Ive been lucky enough the last 2 times ive been in gander mountain and bass pro they have had 22s in stock. Not the cheapest places to buy from, but not gouged at other peoples prices. Now that everybody is gouging the m855/ss109 maybe more 22s will have better shelf life.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I went to the PORTER COUNTY GUN show this weekend and I saw quite a few bulk cartons of .22mag ammo,price wasnt too bad either.Saw some 22lr bulk cartons so it is slowly be showing up..223 prices seemed fair too.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Going to a LGS today. They have had a sign up that they have .22LR in the shop. ITs been up for a few days. Will be interesting to see if they still have some!

Got a text yesterday from Midway USA that one of the .22LR product codes I am monitoring was in stock. Text at 2:00, did not have a chance to go on-line to check it out until 4:00. Result? OUT OF STOCK! If you really need it, I guess you still need to jump immediately.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Going to a LGS today. They have had a sign up that they have .22LR in the shop. ITs been up for a few days. Will be interesting to see if they still have some!

Got a text yesterday from Midway USA that one of the .22LR product codes I am monitoring was in stock. Text at 2:00, did not have a chance to go on-line to check it out until 4:00. Result? OUT OF STOCK! If you really need it, I guess you still need to jump immediately.
    Sometimes it stays around longer than just a few hours. This deal lasted about a day.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/375958-22lr-9mm-combo-packs-stock-now.html

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    Even though it's out of stock, I try to stay optimistic. It was $16.72 per 325 which is just over 5 cents each. That's pretty close to good old days pricing. I don't really care that it sold out before I could buy any. I'm just glad that was made available at that price. That's a good sign.

Shows in stock now

Top Bottom