• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My wife wants to get me a pistol for our 25th anniversary & I have been thinking about what I'd like & I currently have no 22 pistols in the safe so what my fellow INGOers suggest? Ive been leaning towards a S&W 22a w/5 1/2 " barrel (brother had one & was reliable & accurate) so Id like to hear from everyone with experience with this type & other semi auto 22's :ingo:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ruger MKIII are a lot of fun to shoot.....they make a blue million parts to trick them out....there will be some that say there a b*&^H to strip and clean.... not that bad after you learn....:twocents:
    2ut239u.jpg

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Any of the Rugers would be a good choice. There are quite a few options to choose from in barrel lengths, fluted or slab sided barrels, the standard or 22/45 models, etc, so there's probably at least one "flavor" out there that you'd like. I don't really have any experience with any other .22s, but I was very happy with my first Ruger and am very happy with the one I own now. Don't listen to what anyone says about them being hard to strip. . . After a couple of times, it's no more difficult than any other firearm, just different.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    The Smith & Wesson would be a great gun. The Rugers are also great 22s. I have a Super single Six I have had for over 20 years, I love it. Very accurate, have hunted squirrels with it for years. Also have an old Mark 1 that is a great shooter, the newer ones are good guns too. The main thing is find one that fits your hand well, there are alot of good 22 handguns out there. If you already have a Smith & Wesson handgun a 22 makes a good practice gun. I bought my Single Six to practice with for the Super Blackhawk that I knew I was going to buy, and ended up buying 6 months later.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If I was in the market for a reliable .22 semi-auto, my vote would have to be Ruger. They have a variety of options like barrel length and finishes. Volquartsen has wrote the book on aftermarket accessories for the Ruger family of .22 rifles and pistols. 99% of the people I know with Ruger pistols love them and they are shooters. The only one I can recall that had a problem was promptly fixed by a return to Ruger under their warranty. And now with the new frame that has the removable 1911 style grips.....I might just be in the market for a .22 after all.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I bought my wife a pink Walther p22 for our anniversary, I figured it would get here a little more involved in shooting. She liked the gun, but hasn't shot it yet.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    i have a sig mosquito i love it put 1000 rounds through not a jam yet very reliable and fun to shoot you should defin get this one

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've got 2 single sixes, a MarkII, a P22 Walther, and have owned a High Standard Duramatic. I'd give high marks to all of those but the P22.

Sold the Duramatic only because it was obsolete, had a broken plastic grip and I was young and dumb at the time.

The Walther is fun, reliable, has a factory laser sight, all kinds of good except it's just not as accurate as any of the other guns I've mentioned. It's just "OK". Fun but yer not going to have any fun hunting squirrels with it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can only comment on the Ruger Mark II's and III's... They are great. I have several and if you ever do get down to Roush and want to try one, holler out. I always have at least one with me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Browning Buckmarks or the Ruger Marks. They are reliable and accurate. The Single Six if you have a little bit of cowboy in you :)

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Want something different? I just bought a Puma/Chiappa 1911 22lr. I have shot 550 rounds thru it in 2 days and only had a couple FTE. Two days at the range for $26 in ammo. Cant beat that. Gun is fun as hell to shoot. It is not a cheap toy. Feels just like a .45 1911. Holds 10+1 rounds and is pretty accurate. But mostly just fun and inexpensive to shoot. I got mine from 1911Pistols.com for $249.95 plus shipping and transfer. Great 22lr and something different from the Rugers and Brownings.
    Site wont let me post pictures for some reason. Sorry
    Puma%201911%2022lr

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Dang, you just missed a great sale on 22A's for $199. at Midwest Gun Exchange. Call them Monday and they might sell you one for that. I think my 22A is a great shooter and pretty accurate, not quite as good as my model 41 but good.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I don't have much experience with the others suggested so far, but my vote goes for the Smith 22A.

I've got about 1500 rds through mine in a couple months and love it.:rockwoot:

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Another vote for the 22A or if you can find one a 22S. I have had mine for a few years now and it is sweet.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Robo:

Tell her if she really loves you, she'd buy you a S&W Model 41. ;)

If she doesn't go for that, I think you'd be really happy with a Ruger MkIII or 22/45.

And a Pac-Lite upper.

And a suppressor. :D

Top Bottom