• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    The .22 mag is more of a rifle cartridge. Saying that though, it can sure be fun to shoot out of a handgun at dusk. :D

Wonder how much those velocities would drop if shot out of a shorter barrel such as a revolver or pistol.

I'm not sure if there is any .22 mag ammo out there that is actually manufactured for the intent of such a short barrel.

I remember too well all the unburnt powder left in the chamber of my AMT auto mag II.... So much, matter of fact, it contributed to it not being reliable.

good point

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Can someone interpret this data for a nonprofessional :n00b:? I understand that the .22 Mag throws a smaller projectile at a faster speed and hits with a higher power/force (layman's term for the ft-lbf measurement) than the .380 ACP.

Does this mean that the .22 is sufficient or insufficient for the purpose of self-defense? Or does this mean that that .380 is better, but the .22 Mag will get the job done? Or does it mean if all you have is the .22 Mag just throw the gun at the zombie and show heels and elbows?

I have no idea what that data means. Thanks for any help that is offered.

It is suggesting that the .22mag is capable of generating more energy than the .380. The question however is how that energy will transfer to a human at impact.

If the .380 hits and doesnt penetrate all the way through, then all of its energy is given to its target, but if the .22 mag zips all the way through someones thorax, then it might not deliver as much energy because some of the energy is remains with the exiting bullet.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the country's leading ballistics experts all recommend that the .38/.380 are the MINIMUM calibers that should be used for self defense....between ballistics/gel testing as well as studies from field reports of police, military, and civilian shootings....NONE of them suggest anything less.......hence, not something I'd put my life on...and I'm just as comfortable with a good blade as I am a gun of any caliber

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I remember too well all the unburnt powder left in the chamber of my AMT auto mag II.... So much, matter of fact, it contributed to it not being reliable.

I had the AMT auto mag II also and could only get it to feed one type of ammo. My grendal p-30 had 30 rounds of 22 mag and would only run with 50 grain federals and then not well enough to call it a carry pistol. Both were unreliable on the feed side and the AMT stovepiped alot.

Clean or dirty they just did not live up to the rep I wanted from them and both went down the road.

The NAA revolvers would be reliable and maybe someone got my AMT and Grendal to work after i let them go.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In a word, no.

As was mentioned before, "stopping power" is a horribly misleading term, that is generally poorly defined and impossible to measure. Whatever it is and wherever it comes from, more of it is likely to be found in relatively larger cartridges firing relatively larger, faster bullets than the converse. .22 Magnum is tiny, .380 auto slightly less so. Only a tiny portion of "stopping power" can be harnessed from such small packages.

Keep in mind that all handgun calibers are marginal, and 0% of the available "stopping power" is applied to the intended target if you miss. By extension, 100% of that unused "stopping power" will be applied to something you didn't intend to hit, and that something will have a lawyer. Experiment until you find a caliber/handgun combination that you shoot well and suits your needs, and practice hitting your target.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the education! :ingo: is a great place to learn.

My conclusions, based on what I have read so far, are that I will continue to carry my 9mm semi-automatics for self-defense. I will continue to put a lot of practice time on marksmanship with my .22LR semi-automatic pistol and rifle. I will supplement this with practice/drills with my 9mm pistols and my Marlin 1894c (.38/.357) to ensure I can use them efficiently when SHTF. Finally, I will maintain high situational awareness so I will not be in a place where SHTF if I can by any means avoid it.:twocents:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't feel unprotected using a PMR-30 for Home Defense.

30rds of anything is pretty imposing.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    A .22 Mag;

30 gr (1.9 g) HP 2,200 ft/s (670 m/s) 322 ft·lbf (437 J)
    40 gr (2.6 g) JHP 1,910 ft/s (580 m/s) 324 ft·lbf (439 J)
    50 gr (3.2 g) JHP 1,650 ft/s (500 m/s) 300 ft·lbf (410 J)

A .380 ACP;

90 gr (5.8 g) JHP 1,000 ft/s (300 m/s) 200 ft·lbf (270 J)
    95 gr (6.2 g) FMJ 980 ft/s (300 m/s) 203 ft·lbf (275 J)
    Those look like 22 MAGNUM rifle velocity, not from a handgun:popcorn:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I agree but that was the only thing we had at the time. I will also point out that this encounter occured at about 3am, was the first time my wife shot this gun, and was literally a shot in the dark. She got them right after they came through the front door. We now have much larger artillery.

No worries ...and kudos to your wife for using what she had at hand, it worked! The point being is that it's far more important to bring a firearm to this sort of situation than it is about what caliber the firearm actually is/was. That's not to say various calibers all have the same effect, but they all have one, common, undeniable, effect when brought to a defensive situation: criminals don't like to see, hear, or feel their effects in the hands of armed citizens! ...hmmm, wonder why??? :dunno:

This is one reason why I see the endless debate of caliber somewhat pointless. More important than caliber, or shot placement (as you illustrated in your account) is that people have and use firearms to protect themselves and their families. I will always recommend that people have, train, and use the caliber that they're most comfortable with and/or have available. But I will also, personally, favor the larger calibers.

Top Bottom