• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I shoot a lot of Wolf out of my AR's and have had no problems with it. Even let them get pretty dirty at times and they still shoot it just fine. Both of them are Bushmasters. The AR-180 I have for sell seemed to love Wolf as well. Shot a couple hundred rounds through it without a problem.

The AR180 will shoot Wolf all year long without being cleaned, because it's not a direct gas design like the AR15... It's an op-rod design like... well... most other rifles... IIRC, the AR18 was actually designed to be the replacement for the AR15, and was supposed to be more reliable and rugged, but the .mil was already too invested in the M16 by that time, and didn't want to change mid-stream...

Mike

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    You can order a case (1000 rounds) of wolf online for $250, plus shipping. That's close to 50% off buying it in single pack boxes.

Get a friend to split it, if you don't think you can burn up 1000 rounds.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Where can I find affordable, but reliable .223 ammo. I just picked up my first AR and am a little light in the pocket due to the purchase. Would like to put some rounds through her, without breaking the bank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to Palmetto State Armory! is where I've been ordering from recently. Last order was 500 rounds and shipping was $12 but I think most of their prices for shipping hover around that (they're not completely unreasonable). They sell the PMC Bronze and PP M193 for reasonable prices. Out of the two I like PP more but I've been ordering Winchester Q3131 recently instead. I need to start ordering some PP though as general blaster ammo.

swebb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago that the last case of Q3131 I got was purchased in state for $215 including tax.

I've still got a couple cases, but its now too expensive to shoot/replace!

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago that the last case of Q3131 I got was purchased in state for $215 including tax.

I've still got a couple cases, but its now too expensive to shoot/replace!
    Yeh, one of my coworkers bought a ton of it back when it was 18-20 cents a round.

I really wish I'd gotten into this stuff a few years before I did.

PFS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    cheap ammo

The best way I have found to locate ammo is to look online atleast once a day. Most sites let you know if it out of stock before you order. In the last to weeks I have bought 1500 rounds. The last batch was 5.56. If you gun was not designed for the 5.56 then do not use it. There is a big difference in the throat of these two rounds. I will tell you that 360.00 to 370 is the going price these days. ALso, get the boxer primed ammo and sane your brass. Wal-Mart has them for aout 10.00 per 20 rounds. Just so you know, the Wolf ammo is cheaper and works. I think it has a coating it that could cause trouble in the gun, might be a rummor. The ammo is not reloaded, however.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For the OP: Good ammo that can be found (sometimes) in bulk and decent price:
    '08 headstamp Prvi M193 (M855 from them is nice, but doesnt follow my idea of dual duty ammo, as I mention below).
    Winchester Q3131/Q3131A (says 5.56 NATO on side, everything else isnt true NATO stuff)
    Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJBT/XM193 (while expensive compared to case price, Bradis offers 100 round packs of M193 from Fed for about 50 bucks, high price per round, but available locally and smaller amount)

In addition to being found locally in some places, it is relatively economical in that: Anything you dont shoot plinking or practice can be left in the mag and be used for defense. Its all fragging and milspec stuff that is truely dual pupose: Practice AND defense, a huge boon to new AR owners. The Remington UMC stuff damn good for plinking (and kick butt brass for handloading :D) but doesnt fragment (**** poor defensive round). Also, Walmart occasionally has 100 round packs of Federal 55grain FMJ. This is decent priced, but doesnt fragment (not enough speed). Avoid "varmiting" bullets for defense, though are great for poping at pumpkins (enough superficial wounds to a pumpkin makes it collapse, but the challenge is unsupported shooting at 100 meters at said pumpkin :D ). PMC is great once again for plinking, but not defensive purposes (brass is durable as all get out).

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    Some of the Wolf ammo had light grey coating on the casing a while back. It looked like spray paint. A hot AR would melt it right off. I have seen it with and without it. Why? I dunno. Cover corrosion maybe?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The grey stuff is polymer, lightly applied to the casing to prevent corrosion (you nailed it! :) ). It was considered better than the laquer covered cases by some as they DONT melt and gum up the actions and chambers of some weapons. The laquer stuff is still good, just not in some REALLY finiky ARs and such. Some of those with really tight chambers (that will have issues with ANY Wolf) will have difficulty with the laquer casings. Polymer coated casings, well, maybe the rifle is just really finiky about ammo.

Realistically, the laquer stuff is meerly a cleaning issue (takes a little longer) if the weapon is properly functioning and of a "looser" tolerance (NATO chambers or simple gas designs). There is nothing wrong with any Wolf, its just some guns and folks dont like it. I have fired both in ARs and loved either. Proper cleaning technique makes Wolf laquer a non-issue.

Top Bottom