• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think this guy overstates the reliability factor of .22 ammo. I am not defending .22 for self defense, but he says he can't get through a box of .22 without several malfunctions. Well, honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a malfunction from CCI Mini Mags.

IMO, modern, quality .22 ammo is very reliable in a good gun.

It is more reliable in a rifle than a handgun. It was at the range yesterday and put 75 rounds of .22 through a Ruger Mark III. I had 3 FTFs and a casing stuck in the barrel in just those 75 rounds.

I sure wouldn't be willing to trust my life to that ratio.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let's ask this question... Does anyone want to be shot with a .22? NO!...

I've heard that argument several times. I'll be succinct, and it's nothing personal.

That is one of the more stupid things I've heard people say in this debate...and you are hardly the first.

I don't want to be hit with the bumper from a '77 Chevy pickup, be stung by yellow jackets, whipped with a a cat-o-nine tails, be nailed through the hand with a framing nailer or stepped on by a horse. However, none of them would make a good, primary self-defense weapon.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    If its all you have, or all you feel comfortable with, then carry it. Any gun is better than no gun, when you need it. But don't trust that a .22 will save your life if you need it to. It might, but its not as sure as a stronger caliber is. Think of it like fire insurance.. A larger caliber is like a 25# extinguisher, you stand a much better chance with it, than a bucket of water, which is what a .22 amounts to in a self defense role, and just like in self defense ammo, fire extinguishers are not a sure thing. I once had the need to put out a fire, I used 4 25# extinguishers, and 2 of them didn't work. So just because you have a 25# extinguisher doesn't mean your guaranteed anything. Same with handguns... None of them are anything near a sure thing, short of 10mm up, which are more like man portable cannons, than handguns. All handguns are a matter of compromise, its pros and cons. Your picking a gun that's not THAT small, and a caliber that is... Not the best choice, but better than nothing. You really should shoot all the calibers and pistol sizes you can, and pick the biggest you are comfortable carrying. But until then, if all you have is a .22, then carry it. The .22 on your side, is better than the .45 you left at home.

YOU SIR MAKE ME WANT A 10MM! lol

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    Tell me why I shouldn't carry a 11rd 22lr pistol. I am very accurate with it and practice a lot. I can unload a full magazine in a very tight group at 5 to 10 yards very quickly and reload very quickly with the extra mag I carry.
    There are other much better options... :biggun:... lol. But seriously, when it comes to my personal safety and the safety of others, I want the biggest baddest most man-stoppinest round I can pack. If a 22 is all you have available, or all you can handle physically (recoil sensitive, or ease of slide manipulation, etc.) is a 22, then it will suffice. But, if you can go bigger... then I see no reason not to. Lastly, if you have to use a 22 for self defense purposes, I would definitely advise the use of premium hyper-velocity rounds such as CCI Stingers or the like.
    Col

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    I think this guy overstates the reliability factor of .22 ammo. I am not defending .22 for self defense, but he says he can't get through a box of .22 without several malfunctions. Well, honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a malfunction from CCI Mini Mags.

IMO, modern, quality .22 ammo is very reliable in a good gun.
    I have to agree with that.... but I still say a .22 is not a great choice. If you do carry a 22 and ever have to use it... knee caps might be a better choice than face; The knees are very complex and delicate structures and one would have a very hard time pursuing you with out them.
    Col

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    The face? Better than getting SHOT IN THE FACE?
    The skull could be too much for the 22; I have seen hogs hit in the head with a 44 and it ricochet off... I guess for my money I would go for a sure demobilizing hit. Especially if you're that proficient to bet your life on shot placement alone. Place those shots right in the knee caps and run like a raped ape while calling 911 to report it. At least that way you won't have to worry about a wrongful death suit...and it would be pretty hard to prove any malicious intent on your part, when the incident goes to court. Just my :twocents:, take 'em or leave 'em...
    Col

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I Carried a .22 pistol in the past, when I didn't have anything better suited to carry.

I was packing a Walther P22, loaded with 40gr CCI MiniMags... Because the only other pistols I owned at the time were a S&W 4506 and a Beretta Cougar. Neither fit me very well for concealed carry, so I chose to use the pistol on hand that was sized the most appropriately.

Now I carry a S&W Shield 9 - the size is basically equivelant, and 8 federal 9mm HPs seems like a significant enough improvement not to go back.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    OP I'm sure you have already decided based on your previous "energetic" posts, but I'll play. The Ruger SR22 is only 6 oz lighter than the SR9c. Same basic physical dimensions. Capacity is same at 10 rounds. So.....why would anyone want 22 over 9mm?? Hit for hit I'd want the 9mm. YMMV.

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    Back in the 80's while booking a prisoner he admitted to me that he checked all the windows in an old house and saw nobody home...
    He kicked in the back door to the kitchen and the first thing he saw standing there was an eighty something year old black grandma.
    She was all of maybe 5 foot tops and 90 something pounds?
    She told him that. "you may kill me sir but yur goin to be the only boy in prison with only one of your'n balls'! He also added that "that little pistol... it looked like a cannon and something told me deep inside that she would use it!!!"

So to add my two cents to the conversation... "sometimes its the person holding the weapon that makes the difference! - not its size. "

Be safe all.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    He also added that "that little pistol... it looked like a cannon and something told me deep inside that she would use it!!!"

So to add my two cents to the conversation... "sometimes its the person holding the weapon that makes the difference! - not its size. "

That's all well and good if the person is thinking rationally and doesn't want to get shot. The mere sight of a gun might not be convincing enough to stop someone drugged out our simply intent on doing you harm no matter the consequences.

Top Bottom