• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    If you aren't worried about stopping power, why not carry a CO2 BB pistol? They are a lot cheaper than any .22. Shot placement is all that matters right?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Way back in the day, I carried my H&R 929 .22 revolver. Yes, I could easily put 9 .22s into a face in short order. I wasn't in any fear for packing that gun.

Now I am packing a Ruger sp101. I can't possibly put 5 .357s into a face with that.... After 3 .357s the face that I was shooting at would no longer present enough target for me to be able to hit it.

The biggest flaw in your strategy is not your choosing .22 for defense, but instead it is your counting your life on being able to hit a face while under duress.

Most of us subscribe to the shoot center-of-mass theory. When you are in a tough spot, the center-of-mass presents the largest and thus the most likely target to get hits.

Stopping an attack relies on shock, and a .22 does not deliver enough shock. Not even ten of them, unless of course they are delivered to the face. (or perhaps to the 'nards? my wife's strategy is similar to yours but way more disturbing) For quickly and reliably stopping a threat, my strategy is to dump a lot of energy into the center of mass in the hope that the attacker will sit down immediately. Your strategy is to maintain your composure under stress while landing multiple shots into a small moving target. both of our strategies are adequate if successful, But yours is an order of magnitude harder to accomplish.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's often used as a argument for using a small game/plinker round for self defense against humans. How many self defense situations have actually been ended by .22 LR to the face shooting?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Its true, the killing effectiveness of a 22LR is usually under-looked, but the handgun defense world is all about averages, and like was posted before, the larger the caliber, the higher your average will be for a low round count stop... That's why it should be a matter of trying them, and shooting the largest caliber your comfortable with, from the platform your most proficient with... 22LR is not a great choice.... But its a choice, and its not exactly harmless to get shot with it.... Its just not as harmful as a .380 up...

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I'd say you are better off with a 22lr than nothing. I wouldn't carry only a 22LR, but I often carry a 22WMR small derringer revolver made by North American Arms as a backup.

Top Bottom