• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I'm pretty new to shooting, and I was looking at getting a .22LR handgun for my self to learn basics and take to the range. I was wondering what are some really good .22LR handguns. I was also wondering what I should look to spend on a one like this?

Thanks

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Have you tried any of the larger caliber handguns? If you have and lines one you van get a .22 that word be close to it to train with.

Otherwise there are a lot of good ones to choose from. Personally I have a S&W M&P22, which is similar to my M&P9.

Most of them tend to run under $400.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    Ruger also makes some very nice semi-auto pistols. I think it would be up to you and what you are comfortable with for deciding which to go with.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Have you tried any of the larger caliber handguns? If you have and lines one you van get a .22 that word be close to it to train with.

Otherwise there are a lot of good ones to choose from. Personally I have a S&W M&P22, which is similar to my M&P9.

Most of them tend to run under $400.

I've fired 9MM, .40, and .45ACP. I'm planning on getting a XD(m) .45ACP. I've looked at Glock but I didn't like the grip when I rented it.

Ruger also makes some very nice semi-auto pistols. I think it would be up to you and what you are comfortable with for deciding which to go with.

As I said I'm pretty new and wanting advice and informed opinions on using a .22LR for learning some of the basics.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    So many good .22 handguns. Start by going a good gun store and look at a few Rugers semi autos and revolvers to find what appeals to you . The less expensive Taurus are OK but tend to have heavy trigger pulls IMO. Seaching is half the fun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I got this one back in about 1985 or 1986. I still have it and use it lots.
    DSC03077.jpg

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've never fired the Ruger .22 but heard plenty of good things about them. If you're looking for slightly less expensive, though, I would recommend a Smith & Wesson 22A. They're inexpensive (about $250 new) and very easy to break down for cleaning. I think the only issue I've consistently seen is that they use a plastic recoil spacer that can wear out over time, but the part is only 57 cents if ordered through S&W.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I picked up a Walther P22 years ago for exactly this. Cheap, easy to break down, and cheap to use. I still plink with it all the time.

This. Just burned through about 300 rounds this afternoon at Kodiak range. It can be picky about ammo sometimes, but not too bad.

Lots of fun.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    My vote goes to a Browning Buckmark. A Ruger mk would work well, but I like the controls on the buckmark better. These two seem to be made a bit better than the service pistol clones, and are very accurate as well.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I can't recommended a Ruger Mark III enough. I bought a Hunter a few years back, and have put somewhere between 10000-15000 rounds through it with little to no problems. It's far more accurate than I am, has a great trigger, and doesn't seem to mind what ammo you feed it (although I'm a big fan of anything from Federal). Smith 22a's seem to be accurate enough, but the 2 I've seen/shot were very picky when it comes to ammo. The 22/45 wouldn't be a bad choice, but the one I've seen had a much heavier trigger, was finicky with ammo, and wouldn't drop the magazine free.

I'm partial to the Hunter, but if I was buying another as a spare, it'd be this one...

Ruger® Mark III™ Target Rimfire Pistol Models

In my opinion, every handgun owner should own a good .22. It is by FAR the best way to become proficient at shooting a handgun accurately (not to mention a fraction of the cost of centerfire).

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    In my opinion, every handgun owner should own a good .22. It is by FAR the best way to become proficient at shooting a handgun accurately (not to mention a fraction of the cost of centerfire).

I found this out quickly after purchasing my first pistol, an M&P9. It wasn't a month later that I bought an m&p22 to practice more (and more cheaply).

Top Bottom