• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Whatever you do, do NOT get a sig mosquito.

Ruger Mark 2 or 3 are great guns. I dont have one, but my girlfriend and her dad both have ones. They both have been good to them.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you are planning on getting an xdm I would recommend getting either a ruger sr22 smith mp22 or walther p22. They are all good guns and probably the closest to the xdm, which would be better to train with. I personally like the p22, you can get them in the $300 range if you look around.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    Another vote for Ruger. My Dad loved them - both revolver and semi-auto. I'm quickly getting quite attached to my Mark I. The gun is solid and reliable, and I don't think you can go wrong with .22LR for target practice.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm pretty new to shooting, and I was looking at getting a .22LR handgun for my self to learn basics and take to the range. I was wondering what are some really good .22LR handguns. I was also wondering what I should look to spend on a one like this?

Thanks

Ruger Mark III. The gun will be shot by your great, great grandkids. And they are accurate enough to drive tacks with. I have one that I bought when i was 18. Still shoots great, 34 years later.

If semi auto's aren't for you, get the Ruger Single Six. Another fine gun, in revolver.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Another option, although there is no available .22 cal conversion for the Springfield there are a lot of 45 ACP handguns that do have the 22 barrel conversion. You may want to look at more 45's and see if you like any as well, and then purchase that 45 and the conversion. The advantage is that you now are practicing with the gun you will carry or use with the 45 ACP rounds - It would be cheaper in the long run by a couple hundred and you would be far more familiar with the gun if you need to use it for self defense.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    A lot of suggestions for the Ruger MKIII. I have one and love it however no one has mentioned that they can be a PITA to assemble. If you are not mechanicaly inclined you could be cussing yourself for buying one the first time you strip and clean it. I have had no problems with mine, but I still occasionally have to break it back down and start over if everything is not lined up just right.
    You said you are pretty new to shooting, this is something to consider if you are new to firearms in general.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom