• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3 of my "new" more expensive .22LRs:
    - SW 41 bought by original owner new in 2021 (I also have a 1980s model), $900
    - High Standard Victor Military model, 1980-ish, $650
    - Colt Woodsman Match Target, 1973 (with broken windage screw), $600
    I love each of them & they all feel so different from one another.
    I think the HS Victor might be my favorite, but that could change as I spend more time with each.

All iron sights.
    Bad news is that my target with the H.S. Victor I forgot to take a pic after labeling it. :wallbash:

CCI SV on 1.75" circles at 15' & 21'.
    5 rds each circle.
    Range 10.16.2023 21ft CCI SV.jpg

Colt Woodsman Match Target, 1973
    right side full pic.JPG

Colt Woodsman before cleaning with Flitz.
    pic left side.JPG

SW 41, 2021 left side 2.jpg

SW 41 2021
    Range 9.11.2023 1st time 1.75in circles at 21 & 30ft.jpg

SW 41, 2021
    right side of 10.2021 model.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    May be time to sell off some of your expensive 22s, stick with the hi standard and have enough cash to buy another del sol or whatever you drive! LOL

The one you shoot most frequently is going to be the best shooting. They are all capable for sure. It’s just perfection the interface between you and the gun

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Got out to MCF&G for a couple of hours today. Tried a few things I picked up from shooting with @mcapo & @T-DOGG at the FGE. Also tried out a new lot of SK Rifle Match I just picked up. All in all not a bad outing, shot 2 different lots of Rifle Match and some Eley Team. While I was shooting had a visit from a doe who seemed uncncerned with my rifle fire. IMG_3141.jpeg IMG_3150.jpeg IMG_3144.jpeg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got out to MCF&G for a couple of hours today. Tried a few things I picked up from shooting with @mcapo & @T-DOGG at the FGE. Also tried out a new lot of SK Rifle Match I just picked up. All in all not a bad outing, shot 2 different lots of Rifle Match and some Eley Team. While I was shooting had a visit from a doe who seemed uncncerned with my rifle fire. View attachment 306108 View attachment 306109 View attachment 306111
    Fantastic shooting. :thumbsup:
    On the 2nd (bottom target) I counted 28 rds touching or inside the dot in the middle of the blue circles on top target & inner dark green circle in the top target.
    The top target of the two pages of blue circles was peppered with so many rounds touching the dot in the middle, I lost count, haha! :lmfao:

What rifle were you shooting?
    What yardage?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Fantastic shooting. :thumbsup:
    On the 2nd (bottom target) I counted 28 rds touching or inside the dot in the middle of the blue circles on top target & inner dark green circle in the top target.
    The top target of the two pages of blue circles was peppered with so many rounds touching the dot in the middle, I lost count, haha! :lmfao:

What rifle were you shooting?
    What yardage?
    My CZ 457 MTR at 50 yds

Edit: One of the few rimes I have shot several targets without any wild flyers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Note: I just realized that this was supposed to be on my:
    "Looking for 22LR that works for me" thread.

Another Friday at MCFG:
    - CZ 512 (semi)
    - CZ 455 (bolt)
    Got to try out SK Plus SV ammo I picked up yesterday at 1/2 retail, thanks to a tip from Zackcz. :thumbsup:
    I had to drive 165 miles round trip, but still worth it b/c of price since I got 10 bricks.

I had the errant thought of selling the CZ 512 semi-automatic today.
    I enjoy shooting the CZ455 bolt action more.
    Been putting my money into higher grade .22LR pistols lately.

CZ 455 bolt-action
    Mislabeled: 1st row, 1st circle should have been 4 (not 5), therefore 1st row 95% (not 100%).
    1st round flyer on that 1st circle b/c barrel not acclimated to SK Plus SV ammo.
    I was surprised the other 4 rounds did so well, since there was no warm up rounds.
    7/8" outer blue circle at 50 yds.
    I should have used the 7/16" inner blue circle for evaluation since the 7/8" outer blue circle was too easy for rifle work.
    This trigger is much better on the 455 b/c of an upgrade.
    Range 10.20.23 SK Plus SV ammo 1st time 7.8in blue circles.jpg

1/2" red circles at 50 yds.
    29/35 = 83%
    Only did 1 row since I was getting tired & wanted to conserve ammo.
    Range 10.20.23 SK Plus SV ammo 1st time .5 red circles.jpg

CZ 512 semi-action.
    7/8" outer blue circles at 50 yds.
    Forgot to write in the %, but looks like: 95%, 85%, 90% & 90%
    Range 6.10.20..2023 !st time SK Plus SV on 7.8in  blue circles.jpg

CZ 512 semi-automatic.
    1/2" circles at 50 yds.
    Row 1: 20/35 = 57%
    Row 2: 22/35 = 63%
    Range 6.10.20..2023 !st time SK Plus SV on .5in red circles.jpg
    "

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some nice shooting! SK Std. Plus shoots very well in my CZ 452 American. Picked some up at Camp Perry some years ago. Only took me 15 years but I finally have a replacement trigger for the 452 and that should eliminate my main excuse for bad groups!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some nice shooting! SK Std. Plus shoots very well in my CZ 452 American. Picked some up at Camp Perry some years ago. Only took me 15 years but I finally have a replacement trigger for the 452 and that should eliminate my main excuse for bad groups!
    The difference in the trigger between my 455 (upgraded a little)
    &
    my 512, irritates me, haha!
    I know I could do better with a better trigger on the 512, but I think I'll just sell it, haha!
    Why would I want to shoot it with my 455 always beating it, haha!
    Used to be the 512 outshot the 455 at 50 yds, but not 100 yds, but not so much anymore.
    Could be it just needs a cleaning.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    The difference in the trigger between my 455 (upgraded a little)
    &
    my 512, irritates me, haha!
    I know I could do better with a better trigger on the 512, but I think I'll just sell it, haha!
    Why would I want to shoot it with my 455 always beating it, haha!
    Used to be the 512 outshot the 455 at 50 yds, but not 100 yds, but not so much anymore.
    Could be it just needs a cleaning.
    It’s probably the wind or ammo!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 from a member 10 yrs older than myself, that I bought a Ruger Mark 4 from in 2018, remarkable!
    You just can't make this stuff up.
    I've had "a few" of the Mark 4 over the years & this one came with extras.
    I intended to put an optic on this & a rail came with it but unfortunately, it was a 4 screw for a 10/22.
    Therefore, I ordered a Tandomkross 3 screw rail.

I gave the iron sights a whirl today for fun!
    It was shooting low & left for my eyes on a practice target.
    I finished dialing it in on the 1st row below & was pleased with the 2nd row.
    I keep guns if they do 100% on most circles or on a row at 21' on 1.75" circles.
    The best guns do 100% on the whole page.
    None of this "flyer" nonsense, haha!
    With an optic, it will have to do 30' & my best guns can do 45'.
    Range 10.30.2023 dialing in iron sights 1.75in 21ft 100%.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I keep guns if they do 100% on most circles or on a row at 21' on 1.75" circles.
    The best guns do 100% on the whole page.
    None of this "flyer" nonsense, haha!
    With an optic, it will have to do 30' & my best guns can do 45'.
    Never shot any of the Mark 4 series Rugers but have tens of thousands of rounds through various Mark 2 versions as well as the original series 22/45s . Your Mark 4 should be more than fully capable of shooting inside a 1.75" circle at 30 or 45 ft. if it is anywhere remotely close in accuracy to the older Rugers I've owned, especially with an optic. Was shooting my Vortex Venom equipped , VQ trigger 22/45 4" last Sunday and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. What optic are you going to use on the Mark 4?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never shot any of the Mark 4 series Rugers but have tens of thousands of rounds through various Mark 2 versions as well as the original series 22/45s . Your Mark 4 should be more than fully capable of shooting inside a 1.75 at 30 or 45 ft. if it is anywhere remotely close in accuracy to the older Rugers I've owned, especially with an optic. Was shooting my Vortex Venom 22/45 4" last Sunday and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. What optic are you going to use on the Mark 4?
    Good to know. :thumbsup:
    I came across a Mark 2 that had Volquartsen parts to spice it up, plus a $400 Leupold scope & other enhancements.
    I almost bought it, since it could be the ultimate in .22LR shooting, but it was pricey.
    I was advised that getting Volquartsen parts put on to a Mark 4 frame would be easier to deal with.
    Also, I was told the value of Volquartsen upgrades on the Mark 2 & Mark 3 are declining b/c most want the Mark 4 frames now.
    Since you have a Mark 2 you are fond of, I'm thinking you differ in opinion? :scratch:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^ Doddg, not 700 LTR 223, but I like my MKII a lot. And it is accurate. I have some Volquartsen stuff in it which probably helps.

What I don't like about it is the mag release. That is what has me thinking about getting a MKIV. But I will only do it if I start competitive shooting. Otherwise for just plinking at the range, having a quicker mag release isn't necessary.

I have heard that the MKIV's are not as tight as the early MK's but I have nothing more than internet chatter saying that. No first hand proof.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ Doddg, not 700 LTR 223, but I like my MKII a lot. And it is accurate. I have some Volquartsen stuff in it which probably helps.

What I don't like about it is the mag release. That is what has me thinking about getting a MKIV. But I will only do it if I start competitive shooting. Otherwise for just plinking at the range, having a quicker mag release isn't necessary.

I have heard that the MKIV's are not as tight as the early MK's but I have nothing more than internet chatter saying that. No first hand proof.
    I had two Mark 3 pistols, both very accurate, with one having some Volquartsen parts and the other some minor upgrades as well.
    I too, have heard the earlier Mark series were a tad more accurate.
    Did part of your upgrading with Volquartsen parts include their slide replacement?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never shot any of the Mark 4 series Rugers but have tens of thousands of rounds through various Mark 2 versions as well as the original series 22/45s . Your Mark 4 should be more than fully capable of shooting inside a 1.75" circle at 30 or 45 ft. if it is anywhere remotely close in accuracy to the older Rugers I've owned, especially with an optic. Was shooting my Vortex Venom equipped , VQ trigger 22/45 4" last Sunday and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned. What optic are you going to use on the Mark 4?
    Just reread your post and realized you'd asked what optic I would be using.
    I have a Bushnell or Venom (I think) red dot to choose between.
    I just put my oldie-but-goodie
    Nikon EER handgun scope on my
    2021 SW 41, that I'm so proud of, recently acquired here. :ingo:
    Going to range tomorrow with it.

I was hoping to get a Tandemkross rail for the Ruger Mark 4 in the mail today, but it didn't materialize. :crying:
    It will not be a hardship though, to shoot the Mark 4 without an optic again tomorrow, before it gets here. :laugh:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had two Mark 3 pistols, both very accurate, with one having some Volquartsen parts and the other some minor upgrades as well.
    I too, have heard the earlier Mark series were a tad more accurate.
    Did part of your upgrading with Volquartsen parts include their slide replacement?
    Just a trigger and extractor.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I was advised that getting Volquartsen parts put on to a Mark 4 frame would be easier to deal with.
    Also, I was told the value of Volquartsen upgrades on the Mark 2 & Mark 3 are declining b/c most want the Mark 4 frames now.
    Since you have a Mark 2 you are fond of, I'm thinking you differ in opinion? :scratch:
    The Mark 4 being current production is going to be the model most shooters are going to go with. I rarely see the old MK 2 series in local gun shops. Two of mine were bought new and the 3rd on gunbroker.

Having the upgraded triggers on my MK 2 series and early 22/45 pistols are worth it to me just in the ability to shoot them better. My original MK 2 was sent to Clark back in the 1990s and returned with one of the best triggers of any repeating handgun I ever owned. Having the VQ sear/trigger in the original series 22/45 has allowed me to shoot it on par with guns like my Model 41.

Having one frame with the upgraded trigger allows me to switch uppers with my other MK 2s ,22/45s with stock trigger frames without having to have a trigger replacement on every frame.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1st time with rail & oldie-but-goodie Nikon scope on 2021 Smith 41.
    If I put the barrel on a rest, groups are great. :rockwoot:
    If only my hands on rest, it easy to see why I'm the weak point. :ugh:

Didn't get the rail for the Ruger Mark 4 until I got home from the range.
    Again, the difference in the barrel being on a rest instead of just my hands, is apparent.
    Used only CCI SV 1070 FPS, SLN

SW 41
    Range 11.01.2023 1st time wRail & scope 30' on 1.75 in circles.jpg

Same pic with gun side changed & slide not pulled back.
    If resting barrel in future, I should use the 1" circles.
    I should have taken it out to 45'.
    Range 11.01.2023 1st time wRail & scope 30' on 1.75 in circles right side.jpg

Ruger Mark 4
    Groups again better with barrel on a rest instead of only hands on a rest, but not as tight as with the SW 41.
    Since rail came in this pm, next time will be with a red dot.
    Range 11.01.2023 2nd time Iron sights barrel & hand rests.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    1st time with rail & oldie-but-goodie Nikon scope on 2021 Smith 41.
    If I put the barrel on a rest, groups are great. :rockwoot:
    If only my hands on rest, it easy to see why I'm the weak point. :ugh:

Didn't get the rail for the Ruger Mark 4 until I got home from the range.
    Again, the difference in the barrel being on a rest instead of just my hands, is apparent.
    Used only CCI SV 1070 FPS, SLN

SW 41
    View attachment 309385

Same pic with gun side changed & slide not pulled back.
    If resting barrel in future, I should use the 1" circles.
    I should have taken it out to 45'.
    View attachment 309386

Ruger Mark 4
    Groups again better with barrel on a rest instead of only hands on a rest, but not as tight as with the SW 41.
    Since rail came in this pm, next time will be with a red dot.
    View attachment 309389
    Don’t forget to mention it’s a single shot!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don’t forget to mention it’s a single shot!
    He is referring to 19/70 rounds had issue with failures (not ejecting or not loading & stovepipes).

I took my Colt Woodsman to the gunsmith at Highsmith Guns in Greenfield today to get my windage screw fixed & mentioned my 19/70 failures & he agreed after 450 rounds it could just need cleaned.
    He also suggested it might not be broken in yet.
    Also, ater cleaning if it continues, run 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through it to loosen it up (my words not his).
    Since it did not do that with 2 or 3 different ammo brands (only a little), I'm going with the "dirty" theory.
    I did put a few drops of oil on the rails, but that didn't seem to help.

Top Bottom