• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My Dad bought my older bro and I an new Annie 54 Match in 1968 I believe, it still has a right handed position stock on it. I'm a lefty and my brother and father were not, so it is right handed.
    We shot it through HS and other than out once in awhile it sat for a few decades until my sons needed it with 4H and then JROTC rim-fire through HS.
    My father took a band saw :dunno: to the butt-stock and cut about 3" off the butt and then put the pad back on. After a few years he fitted a new piece of wood in and gave us back full LOP.
    I took it off again for my sons to shoot and while in HS the chunk went back in.
    I really need to get it up to Mark Penrod and have him set it in a more modern stock.
    It just keeps going on the back burner.

View attachment 337156
    ROTC didn’t have US44s? Anyway I’ve never owned an Annie, and at this point probably never will. I would like to have a Winchester 52 someday bit might just have to be happy with my 75.
    Too bad he didn’t keep the original chunk he cut off. Good wood is getting difficult to find unless you want to go custom. I want to build an M40 Sniper but the wood is ridiculous!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have always preferred 22LR over other rifle calibers, I have 34 of them and I recently added my first official “Target” rifle. It was a 1925 Winchester model 52 very accurate and fun to shoot. Yesterday I bought a 1985 Remington 541 X Target 22LR. I dialed it in today at 50 yards and holy crap is this thing accurate. I thought some of my other 22’s were super accurate, but these two are definitely top dogs now.
    View attachment 274694
    Man, those are nice!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My Dad bought my older bro and I an new Annie 54 Match in 1968 I believe, it still has a right handed position stock on it. I'm a lefty and my brother and father were not, so it is right handed.
    We shot it through HS and other than out once in awhile it sat for a few decades until my sons needed it with 4H and then JROTC rim-fire through HS.
    My father took a band saw :dunno: to the butt-stock and cut about 3" off the butt and then put the pad back on. After a few years he fitted a new piece of wood in and gave us back full LOP.
    I took it off again for my sons to shoot and while in HS the chunk went back in.
    I really need to get it up to Mark Penrod and have him set it in a more modern stock.
    It just keeps going on the back burner.

View attachment 337156
    Any 54 stock will fit it. There are some on accurate shooter for sale......by the way, NICE RIFLE!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    ROTC didn’t have US44s? Anyway I’ve never owned an Annie, and at this point probably never will. I would like to have a Winchester 52 someday bit might just have to be happy with my 75.
    Too bad he didn’t keep the original chunk he cut off. Good wood is getting difficult to find unless you want to go custom. I want to build an M40 Sniper but the wood is ridiculous!
    No, we had to supply rifles for the kids. I have passed up a few DCM/CMP Kimber 82's in my life, I probably should have bought one,

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have some 10/22's, a Savage semi, Marlin semi & another 1 or 3 buried in the safe that I have forgotten about.

I have an old Remington Targetmaster single shot that belonged to my maternal grandfather. My dad found it at "the pond" (cousins had left it out for who knows how long). stripped it, refinished the stock & did a cold blue. I shoot it once in a great while, that & a cool very old folding knife (blade longer than handle) are the only things I have from my grandparents.

I need to get a quality bolt .22 with a threaded barrel, not sure where to start.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have some 10/22's, a Savage semi, Marlin semi & another 1 or 3 buried in the safe that I have forgotten about.

I have an old Remington Targetmaster single shot that belonged to my maternal grandfather. My dad found it at "the pond" (cousins had left it out for who knows how long). stripped it, refinished the stock & did a cold blue. I shoot it once in a great while, that & a cool very old folding knife (blade longer than handle) are the only things I have from my grandparents.

I need to get a quality bolt .22 with a threaded barrel, not sure where to start.
    If you can find a CZ 452 you’d love it. The 455s are good too and you can swap barrels/calibers with them. I haven’t shot a 457 yet but I’m sure they are good as well. All CZs shoot well.
    Ruger 77/22 s shoot good too but their prices are really climbing. If you can’t find one reasonably priced I’d get it.
    Remington made some fine rifles as well. I might have a 541T in the classifieds soon. Need to determine price.
    Some old Mossberg shoot very nice as well. Might have a US44 in classifieds soon too.
    There are quite a few options available and you can spend as much as you want but I think any further purchases will be CZ for me. For my shooting needs they are the sweet spot in price, quality and aesthetics.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have to 2nd the Savage MKII rifles. They are just accurate. Their machining has come a long way in the last 20 years. They might be the most accurate bolt action 22 there is dollar for dollar. Same goes with a standard stainless steel barrel 10/22. I can't vouch for the blued barrels, but the stainless ones are GTG. But the difference in a nickle sized group and a dime sized group at 50 yards, starts to hit 4 figures by the time you are done.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Changed the rings on my Savage Mkii TR.
    Had EGW base and med Keystone rings. Put lows on.
    DiP trigger guard.
    Hate the Accutrigger, a Riflebasix is another 75.
    Money pit.....and in the end its still a Savage LOL

Reminds me to get a brick of SK Standard Plus.

Havent tried it in that rifle yet, only 50 rounds of Fiocchi been down the tube. It shot it decent.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Changed the rings on my Savage Mkii TR.
    Had EGW base and med Keystone rings. Put lows on.
    DiP trigger guard.
    Hate the Accutrigger, a Riflebasix is another 75.
    Money pit.....and in the end its still a Savage LOL

Reminds me to get a brick of SK Standard Plus.

Havent tried it in that rifle yet, only 50 rounds of Fiocchi been down the tube. It shot it decent.
    So all the money spent to upgrade a decent rifle could have gone towards a better rifle with a higher resale in the end. I’m not a gun snob by any means but I usually try to get the best that I can afford once and put less into it later on. I’m not knocking Savage at all, and have actually owned a couple of their center fire tactical rifles and they were very accurate, they just don’t have the look and feel of a CZ, Remington or Ruger 77/22. I believe person can buy and enjoy whatever they want and shouldn’t have to defend their choices, within reason.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Didn't care for my 541 T HB
    Like my CZ457
    7722 look good but dont feel right to me

The Savage was for low end NRL22 stuff.
    Kinda specific.

Just keep it for others to bench shoot.

Might get an Anschutz 64 sporter again.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Didn't care for my 541 T HB
    Like my CZ457
    7722 look good but dont feel right to me

The Savage was for low end NRL22 stuff.
    Kinda specific.

Just keep it for others to bench shoot.

Might get an Anschutz 64 sporter again.
    I’d like to try an Annie, Cooper and Winchester 52 someday. I’m thinking of thinning the herd and trying to get a few things I’ve always wanted. Picked up a little Browning .22 Auto today and I’m as happy as can be. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid and just never had one for some reason. Now to find a Colt Match Target.

Attachments

• IMG_4162.jpeg
      IMG_4162.jpeg
      576 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_4161.jpeg
      IMG_4161.jpeg
      625.7 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_4170.jpeg
      IMG_4170.jpeg
      514.2 KB · Views: 8

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Grew up shooting a Match Target 6". The 4" looks good too, and prefer the underlug bbl Woodsmans vs the older pencil jobbies.

However, a High Standard fits me better.

My kids preferred their grandpa's Woodsman.

Id like a 64 Anschutz sporter, like the looks of the old Sav/ Ansch 164.

But i really dont hunt w a .22 lr anymore.

Top Bottom