• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    FWIW. The counter guy at Gander Castleton told me the other day that 22 no longer comes on the normal truck but via FedEx and they never know when it will arrive. It's not part of the Friday morning ammo club anymore.

I'd have laughed in his face then and there... Let's think about the logistics of that for a moment shall we? Normal deliveries are Friday mornings from their warehouse in Lebanon. These deliveries include EVERYTHING from firearms and ammo to apparel. Why would they add another link to the delivery chain and add to their logistics costs?-->they won't He's just trying to cull the Friday morning herd because they're a P.I.T.A. to deal with.

I've been there on Friday mornings when my supply was running low and yes, it's the same *********s at the same time. They line up outside the store and when the doors open make a beeline for the counter.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've been there on Friday mornings when my supply was running low and yes, it's the same *********s at the same time. They line up outside the store and when the doors open make a beeline for the counter.

I had a Friday off, planned a few things that day, one of which was to watch, just watch, the .22LR club at Gander on Friday morning. Got there, just sat in the car near the door. They lined up, kibitzing about this or that. They all had a... well, "unemployed" or bored retired look. Probably about 10 guys (this was towards the trailing end of the panic) in line. One guy, passing my car, said, "hey, you better get in line, it's gonna go quick!" He didn't like my answer of wanting just to watch them pile over one another to get ammo, only to sit on it when they tried to sell it online for three times what they bought it for.

The inner door opened (a manager coming to unlock the front automated doors), and I could swear they subtly got into a runners start. I'm not kidding. The instant that door slid open, they bolted in, tumbling and boiling over one another in a strange, power walk/ slow run to the counter. Bellys and beards bouncing, coveralls swishing, a covetous and greedy look in their eyes. I just strolled in past a dazed manager, who was starting to walk back inside. He thanked me for not running over him. I mentioned my main reason for going to the store. He laughed and got a box from the back for me when the counter was empty, still with neckbeards milling around it, one step away from licking the empty spot on the shelf and counter, trying to get that last taste of .22 off the polished acrylic and powdercoated steel.

That act of kindness by the manager started almost a firestorm of raging hillbilly-ism and neckbeardery, threats and guys trying to take it from me as I strolled to the checkout line, glares from those still checking out meeting me. I smiled and granted them a "good day!"

Fun can come from any event... :D

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    That act of kindness by the manager started almost a firestorm of raging hillbilly-ism and neckbeardery, threats and guys trying to take it from me as I strolled to the checkout line, glares from those still checking out meeting me. I smiled and granted them a "good day!"

There should be youtube video's of the ".22 ammo race" Just go in on Friday, video the "Race" and the Jerry Springer actions and reactions. I'm guessing it would be the same people running this race every week. If you really want to get the race running faster, tell the guys in line you heard a rumor that from now on they are going to ID ammo buyers, and limit them to 2 boxes per month to help reduce the amount of hoarding and reselling for profit. Tell them there is a centralk registry that cross checks other stores to make sure resellers are not going to different stores to clean them out. Watch them rant and rave then run like they are running for their lives for the last ammo they will get for the month.

OK, here is one I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGxYpBogSLU

One Walmart puts the ammo out at random time to help supply those who can't be there when work starts for most.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvIAd-jqy5c

Thanks for sharing the story, made my day.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Dunno :dunno:, just haven't had a real problem finding .22 LR.

Hmmmm, with the supply now, maybe I should start selling them off at $.50 / rd? :lmfao:

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    The retailers aren't doing any of us any favors by refusing to raise prices to market levels. When they keep prices low, the reselling/secondary market is inevitable. It assures that those of us who actually have jobs will find empty shelves 99% of the time. The result is that if we manage to find any on the shelf, we snatch up as much as we can. I don't think people are shooting more .22 ammo, they are just still in a panic/hoard mode because they keep finding empty shelves. If retailers would raise their prices, the resellers would be out of business, and the panic buying/hoarding would settle out because ammo would be available on the shelf. Of course, that would hurt the delicate feelings of those who reason with their emotions and would rather see empty shelves then (gasp!) a higher price. It never ceases to amaze me that people think retailers are doing them a favor when they refuse to raise a price, but have nothing to sell.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    FWIW. The counter guy at Gander Castleton told me the other day that 22 no longer comes on the normal truck but via FedEx and they never know when it will arrive. It's not part of the Friday morning ammo club anymore.

I worked there...they "started" that in July. First I heard of it was when the GM told us to tell that to customers during the morning meeting...right after we unloaded 22 off the truck. The normal truck. Anyone heard this from a different Gander???

I'd have laughed in his face then and there... Let's think about the logistics of that for a moment shall we? Normal deliveries are Friday mornings from their warehouse in Lebanon. These deliveries include EVERYTHING from firearms and ammo to apparel. Why would they add another link to the delivery chain and add to their logistics costs?-->they won't He's just trying to cull the Friday morning herd because they're a P.I.T.A. to deal with.

More like trying to avoid complaints because the same people know to get there early and squeeze out the people who just want to buy ammo to take their kids shooting. Like the guy who plants people in line and ties it up while considering which ammo to tell them to buy for him so he can get around the so many boxes per person rule.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    More like trying to avoid complaints because the same people know to get there early and squeeze out the people who just want to buy ammo to take their kids shooting. Like the guy who plants people in line and ties it up while considering which ammo to tell them to buy for him so he can get around the so many boxes per person rule.

I would love to see this as policy at every store that sells ammo. Simply roll dice every morning to determine when to put out ammo, or put it out at 3 random times per day. Some say raise the price to "market value" but that's the problem, they do sell it at market value, the market is temporarily artificially inflated because people are draining supplies by either flipping for profit or hoarding. I knew a guy who drove a truck who would hit every walmart in every town he visited. His buddy owned a gun store and offered him a markup on every box of ammo he purchased. It kept the regular market depleted while giving him the only ammo for sale in town. The local retailers figured out he was buying their entire supply to resale it at higher prices, they cut him off and regulated the sale after that. Run an ammo registry where you get a few boxes per month until supply is normal again, it would keep the same flippers who stand in line every morning while everyone else is at work from draining the supply. Maybe run an ammo lottery where you sign up to buy your ammo with a drivers license number and they call the winners for pick up. I remember when we never kept ammo on hand because you could always pick up a few bricks on the way to the range, always. Times have changed, I'm glad I did most of my shooting in my younger days. Tons of ammo at low costs, those were the good old days.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Paul. I respectfully disagree. Items have no such thing as intrinsic value. An item is worth whatever the market will bare at any given time. The fact that the market value is 'artificially inflated' in the opinions of some is not relevant. You hit the nail on the head when you noted that you used to not keep much ammo on hand because you could always stop and get what you needed (especially .22!). That is exactly my point. When the shelves are empty, the natural reaction is to grab what you can, when you can, if you can find it at a good price. That is exactly what is happening. Raising the prices to the point that ammo is not flying off the shelf breaks this cycle, and the price will gradually return to more sane levels (though the 'good ole days' prices back when we were kids probably won't be back....though come to think of it those were really crappy times in a lot of other ways....but I digress)

To each his or her own, but I don't want to play games/raffles/guessing games etc just to buy some ammo. If is costs a few bucks more, fine, just have it available so I don't have to screw around. If it's pricey, I'll shoot less, but at least I can find it readily. Keeping the prices low at the big retailers just feeds the cycle that we see now. It will eventually settle out (just like the bubble bursting on the AR market) but it need not take this long. Again, no disrespect intended, but this current situation is frustrating and totally unnecessary.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I had a Friday off, planned a few things that day, one of which was to watch, just watch, the .22LR club at Gander on Friday morning. Got there, just sat in the car near the door. They lined up, kibitzing about this or that. They all had a... well, "unemployed" or bored retired look. Probably about 10 guys (this was towards the trailing end of the panic) in line. One guy, passing my car, said, "hey, you better get in line, it's gonna go quick!" He didn't like my answer of wanting just to watch them pile over one another to get ammo, only to sit on it when they tried to sell it online for three times what they bought it for.

The inner door opened (a manager coming to unlock the front automated doors), and I could swear they subtly got into a runners start. I'm not kidding. The instant that door slid open, they bolted in, tumbling and boiling over one another in a strange, power walk/ slow run to the counter. Bellys and beards bouncing, coveralls swishing, a covetous and greedy look in their eyes. I just strolled in past a dazed manager, who was starting to walk back inside. He thanked me for not running over him. I mentioned my main reason for going to the store. He laughed and got a box from the back for me when the counter was empty, still with neckbeards milling around it, one step away from licking the empty spot on the shelf and counter, trying to get that last taste of .22 off the polished acrylic and powdercoated steel.

"Neckbeardery" now that is some funny sheet this morning. You definitely made me chuckle. :ingo:

This is why the good Lord created UPS delivery.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The retailers aren't doing any of us any favors by refusing to raise prices to market levels. When they keep prices low, the reselling/secondary market is inevitable. It assures that those of us who actually have jobs will find empty shelves 99% of the time. The result is that if we manage to find any on the shelf, we snatch up as much as we can. I don't think people are shooting more .22 ammo, they are just still in a panic/hoard mode because they keep finding empty shelves. If retailers would raise their prices, the resellers would be out of business, and the panic buying/hoarding would settle out because ammo would be available on the shelf. Of course, that would hurt the delicate feelings of those who reason with their emotions and would rather see empty shelves then (gasp!) a higher price. It never ceases to amaze me that people think retailers are doing them a favor when they refuse to raise a price, but have nothing to sell.

I totally disagree with your position. If you are so intent on purchasing 22 ammo at elevated prices why not go to a gun show? The last 4 or 5 gun shows I attended in the last 2 ~ 3 months had a fairly large supply (well over
    50K+ among the vendors) of .22 caliber ammo ranging from $45 to $60 / brick of 500. I did not see anyone purchasing ANY of this ammo.
    I have always had an adequate supply and have not purchased any at the elevated prices. I would be fairly certain if the Gun shops started to sell the 22 ammo at $50 / Brick, it would become a permanent price increase.

Maybe this shortage will encourage those who are now seeking ammo to do what many of us have done for several years ~ Purchase the ammo you use in bulk and stock it, ammo does not require feeding, has an extremely long shelf life, in normal times is fairly inexpensive and is a pretty good investment.

As I don't purchase ammo that is "high priced" I certainly haven't contributed to any shortage, in fact people like me keep the market stable. You can call me a hoarder if it make you feel good as my son and I have 30K + rounds in stock (mostly high power rifle and handgun) and enough reloading components (excluding brass) to reload at least that many more. We have enough of all calibers to maintain our shooting hobby for several years. However I still purchase ammo and components when the prices are right.

By the way I haven't, nor will I sell any of my stash. I have given (yeah, free) a few hundred rounds of 22 to a friend for his child to use.

I saw a sign Wednesday at the local farm store stating they had 22 in stock "at the service counter", I did not inquire about this as I would rather those that "need" the ammo have a shot. I will buy and stock more when it appears on the shelf in quantity at a reasonable price!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I have never owned a .22 caliber before (looking at getting a S&W M&P 15-22). What is the "normal" price .22 ammo?
    There are several manufacturers and qualities which means the price also varies. A normal 500 round brick of normal plinking ammo is about $22 when you can find it.

That is why I recommended that stores start varying the time they stock it. If the same 10 guys who stand in line every morning to buy and resell at 4 times the price online or at a gun show don't know when it is being put on the shelves, then everyone has a chance at getting some. Many people have to be at work and cannot be there when they are put on the shelves in the morning, this would help them too. When the game of flipping ammo is finally thwarted, the supplies will be normal and the prices will be the new normal. I personally oiled up my .22 firearms and put them away. If I'm going to pay 10 cents per round, I might as well be shooting a larger pistol or rifle. I still have my stock of .22 ammo I purchased before it became harder to get, but I'm not shooting ammo I can't replace. Until it is readily available again at normal prices, I will shoot other rifles or pistols.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    The problem really isn't the folks selling the ammo, it's the idiots buying it at such elevated prices. Quit buying it and all these folks standing inline to buy for reselling at a high price will soon choke on it. When it's filled their basement and they can't close their garage doors they will quit. Problem solved.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The problem really isn't the folks selling the ammo, it's the idiots buying it at such elevated prices. Quit buying it and all these folks standing inline to buy for reselling at a high price will soon choke on it. When it's filled their basement and they can't close their garage doors they will quit. Problem solved.

The problem may not BE with the guys selling the ammo, but it might be solved by the guys selling the ammo by simply putting it on the shelves at different days and times. This would allow those who can't be there ever at 7:00 am due to being at work to be able to buy it on occasion and would eliminate the monopoly that the morning hoarders are causing. Once they no longer control the ammo deficit, the system should self correct much faster than waiting for them to decide how high to stack it in their garage before they stop buying it on site.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I agree with putting it out at various times. I was traveling last Thursday in Michigan and saw a GM and stopped. They had some they had put out and the wolves were hoovering. First I had bought in over a year. I had quit shooting my 22's because I was down to 120 and was keeping them for squirrel hunting and if I had company that wanted to shoot. Bottom line is I still would not have any unless I was vacation instead of working. Went into WM a few weeks ago and they actually had 22 mag that I got some of, I had quite shooting it also since I only had about 20 rounds left. The lady said they CCI 22lr that day too and they actually lasted until about noon. Dang working and trying to make a living got in the way that day also.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've had great luck when in the position to spend a little extra money and buy some ammo. I just open an extra tab on the computer, dial it into gunbot, have it set to .05 cents or less with an obnoxious sound to alert when there's some available. I've picked up 5K rounds but that's about all I care to keep in stock. If I go and let some younger family blow through a few hundred rounds, well, I'll open a tab back up and wait till the price drops and I'll buy a brick.

I'd given up on spending gas to "hopefully" buy ammo on certain days, it's much easier to get what I call "ammo mail" delivered to the door.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Gander Mountain in Avon has always been the go to place. BUT you have to keep checking. They get random deliveries. They always seem to have Standard CCI, 50 rnd boxes and Federal Match, 325 rnd boxes.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    The problem may not BE with the guys selling the ammo, but it might be solved by the guys selling the ammo by simply putting it on the shelves at different days and times. This would allow those who can't be there ever at 7:00 am due to being at work to be able to buy it on occasion and would eliminate the monopoly that the morning hoarders are causing. Once they no longer control the ammo deficit, the system should self correct much faster than waiting for them to decide how high to stack it in their garage before they stop buying it on site.

I guess I'm a little more bitter about the whole thing. I'd rather see the sumbeeeches choke on a garage full and lose their collective arses when they can't sell it. Taking advantage of a situation just because you can still doesn't make it right. There's one thing for sure either the retailers need to start putting it out at different times or people just need to say no. Something needs to happen because this has went way past ridiculous and well into the realm of insanity.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I guess I'm a little more bitter about the whole thing. I'd rather see the sumbeeeches choke on a garage full and lose their collective arses when they can't sell it. Taking advantage of a situation just because you can still doesn't make it right. There's one thing for sure either the retailers need to start putting it out at different times or people just need to say no. Something needs to happen because this has went way past ridiculous and well into the realm of insanity.

All of this was easily avoidable.

Top Bottom