• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You've heard of belly guns? Well, the .25acp would best be described as an eye socket gun. Anywhere else and I don't like your survival chances.

Exactly. If you could transfer all the muzzle energy into your target that would render them near helpless. The expanding gasses at the muzzle is a serious amount of energy.

rjthebassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    5 miles from nowhere
    Lol. I happen to have a hipoint c9 laying around. Just kinda thought the idea of a palm-sized pea shooter was interesting.
    Some years back on INGO there was a .25 thread and soemone had an ER story of a "lady" whose pimp shot her in the head with 7 rounds. Alll of them did what yuou described above.

As for .25 pistols and self defense, I hear if if you put 2 or 3 in a sock you knock someone the _______ out!

For $100 or a little more you would have a better self defense gun with a HiPoint 9MM. ( If they still sell fr that cheap)

* Disclaimer: I do not want to stand infront of a .25. Or even a really big spitball*

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If things are so bad that I needed my back-up gun, I sure as heck would not want to depend on anything like a 25 acp to get me out.

If someone is going to shoot me with a gun I pray it's a 25 acp so I can take it away from them and beat them with it, but to each their own.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "Don" (you know the guy) used to give a Raven .25 away free for buying something else from him, like range time or whatever. That's one that is almost as dangerous to the target as it is to the shooter. There have been numerous manufacturers, with various levels of repute, who have made pistols in this caliber. It may, as a centerfire, fire slightly more reliably than a .22LR, but it's less potent. The joke is, they say don't let someone find out you shot them with a .25, or they'll be pissed. That said, it is in fact capable of a fatal shot, if all the stars align. I think there was a case where a perpetrator shot the victim in the head with one, it bounced off and hit the perpetrator's partner somehow for a fatal wound. Get a .380 instead. That'll hurt noticeably, at least.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Many years ago as a young man I couldn't afford much and got a Raven .25 Auto (Chrome) new $35, shot the crap out of it, must have been a good one as I had no problems with it, gave it to my Dad who had a Mom/Pop store in Downtown Detroit. Dad sold it to a neighbor kid, for $75. Transition to today and I own a Intrac PROTEC .25 auto, that lives in my safe, would I feel comfortable carrying it solo? NO! As a BUG? NO! But if it was all I had, I would carry it and a knife and screw it into your eye socket and pull the trigger twice. My opponant now half blind and hurting better quit, or next two again to the front of the face causing a massive nose bleed to say the least with dental issues.

But for now, Mr Glock takes it's place.

This pistol may be a Baby Browning, Colt JR, or collectors edition pink Lorcin, for $100 let us know what it is your being offerd.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We've had folks put them under their chin and pull the trigger in a suicide attempt to end up with a sore tongue and a bullet lodged in their palate. Other than .22 short, I cannot think of a caliber I have less respect for as a self defense weapon. You may get it to work as pain/noise deterrence, but if someone actually needs stopped your odds are terrible with the .25. Some will way its better than nothing, but I disagree. Having "something" that doesn't work may have you pull when you otherwise would have complied, played dead, or ran, all of which give you a better chance of success in most cases than firing a .25 at someone who doesn't choose to run away.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    While at work today was offered a .25acp semiauto of unknown origin (he's not much of a gun guy nor did he have it on him so he didn't know much about it.. kinda makes me wonder why he has it) and was just curious as how this would work as a last resort/pocket pistol. Any idea on effectiveness, and availability of said ammo? Have to admit. I've never seen much of it. Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you wanna highlight any legality concerns on private party handgun sales be my guest. :-)

It's a good back up if your main carry piece is a Boy Scout Knife.....

IMHO ofcourse....

A BUG is pulled when you are at the worst moment in your life...Someone is trying to harm you or yours and due to unforseen circumstances you are having to rely on your BUG...Do you really want to count on a Raven/Lorcin/Jennings in that situation????

Probaly not...

A BUG should STOP someone, not kill them a day later from infection....

IMHO ofcourse...

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I'll respond about the ammo.

A friend asked me to be on the lookout for some. I came across ammo at a gun show (only one vendor of maybe 50). I also saw some at rural king. Both sources were $21-22/box of 50.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I call the .25/ .32's "Nose Guns". I'm going to be close enough to shove it up their nose and shoot until it's empty if it comes down to using it.
    IMHO of course.

Bob

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    carry a back up knife on your opposite side id pass it is pathetic and not the most available ammo

I find it interesting when folks suggest carrying a knife. I have to disagree with this idea. I personally think the odds would be better with 6 shots of a .25 rather than hoping a knife would cause the threat to stop sooner. How many people who carry knives actually know how to use them effectively? It's just a question, as I don't know the answer. I would think a knife would require a much closer engagement area, and, the same as a novice shooter, shot placement would mean the difference between stopping someone or just really making them mad. My two cents, I'd take the .25 over a knife anyday.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I find it interesting when folks suggest carrying a knife. I have to disagree with this idea. I personally think the odds would be better with 6 shots of a .25 rather than hoping a knife would cause the threat to stop sooner. How many people who carry knives actually know how to use them effectively? It's just a question, as I don't know the answer. I would think a knife would require a much closer engagement area, and, the same as a novice shooter, shot placement would mean the difference between stopping someone or just really making them mad. My two cents, I'd take the .25 over a knife anyday.

I tend to agree about the knife, but still would have nothing to do with a .25 ACP. I think a little ax or hammer might be better than a .25 ACP. I can swing an ax or hammer really well. LOL

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Lots of tough guys posting about the inadequacy of the caliber. Robert Kennedy was assinated with a.22. Reagan was also shot by Hinckley with a .22 as was James Brady. Many dead people because of the lowly .25. It wouldn't be my preferred caliber, but I would buy the gun if in good condition. Of course, I might haggle a bit. I have no knowledge on availability of ammo.

Yes, so many better options for BUG. I would prefer .380 minimum.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I was one of those folks suggesting a knife over buying a .25. But I never really intended to imply that it would be better than any pistol for SD. In fact you are correct, if all you have is a knife and no practical knowledge of how to use it in an SD role all your really going to do is either **** off your attacker more or get cut up yourself. Granted it's still better than nothing. However how many times a day do you actually use your pistol? 0 hopefully. How many times a day would you be likely to use a good knife? Knives unlike pistols have thousands of practical uses that don't involve SD. So in that regard a good knife is likely more useful than a .25acp pistol in most every day uses.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Lots of tough guys posting about the inadequacy of the caliber. Robert Kennedy was assinated with a.22. Reagan was also shot by Hinckley with a .22 as was James Brady. Many dead people because of the lowly .25. It wouldn't be my preferred caliber, but I would buy the gun if in good condition. Of course, I might haggle a bit. I have no knowledge on availability of ammo.

Yes, so many better options for BUG. I would prefer .380 minimum.

I wouldn't use a .22 as a BUG either. A lot more people have been shot by .22's and NOT died than have died. Both the shots you used as examples were within inches and at most, a couple of feet. Kennedy died, Reagan and Brady didn't. I know for a fact that even 7.62x39 sometimes bounces off of heads on ocassion. If I were going to use it for a BUG it would be as a Nose Gun as I've already stated.

Bob

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    By all means carry a knife, but the idea that a knife is in any way "better" than a .25 for self defense is crazy.

True, a .22LR or .25ACP round is not going to penetrate far, break many bones or have a big, temporary wound cavity to cause hydrostatic shock. But a knife isn't either. Lucky hits aside, both a small caliber round AND a knife will cause non-lethal injuries most of the time. When they DO kill, they will kill through blood loss. Now add the fact that a gun will give you at least a couple of yards of stand-off capability vs the bad-breath range of a knife, then consider that basic competence with a gun is much, much easier to obtain than with a knife and it's a no-brainer.

Not to mention the psychological factor. A gun is still a gun. You might know your gun is "just" a weakling .25, but the blackhat you're pointing it at doesn't necessarily know that. To him, it's just a gun being pointed at him.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't think stating that the .25 is inadequate has anything to do with being a "tough guy". It has everything to do with concern for fellow members of this forum and not wanting to see them rely upon something that might not do the job.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    By all means carry a knife, but the idea that a knife is in any way "better" than a .25 for self defense is crazy.

True, a .22LR or .25ACP round is not going to penetrate far, break many bones or have a big, temporary wound cavity to cause hydrostatic shock. But a knife isn't either. Lucky hits aside, both a small caliber round AND a knife will cause non-lethal injuries most of the time. When they DO kill, they will kill through blood loss. Now add the fact that a gun will give you at least a couple of yards of stand-off capability vs the bad-breath range of a knife, then consider that basic competence with a gun is much, much easier to obtain than with a knife and it's a no-brainer.

Not to mention the psychological factor. A gun is still a gun. You might know your gun is "just" a weakling .25, but the blackhat you're pointing it at doesn't necessarily know that. To him, it's just a gun being pointed at him.

Please read what I already stated. Knives are infinitely more useful in most everyday chores than a pistol. You could use your pistol to open mail, break down boxes, or maybe try to clean a fish. But I bet it would get messy quick. The OP may be better suited with an EDC knife for daily chores than to use up the belt or pocket space on a small, weak pistol with ammo that is hard to find and expensive.

I was one of those folks suggesting a knife over buying a .25. But I never really intended to imply that it would be better than any pistol for SD.. How many times a day would you be likely to use a good knife? Knives unlike pistols have thousands of practical uses that don't involve SD. So in that regard a good knife is likely more useful than a .25acp pistol in most every day uses.

I don't think stating that the .25 is inadequate has anything to do with being a "tough guy". It has everything to do with concern for fellow members of this forum and not wanting to see them rely upon something that might not do the job.

Also yes this ^^^ if you are simply HOPING the sight of a gun will deter your attacker then the pistol is useless and you are already screwed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom