• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Please read what I already stated. Knives are infinitely more useful in most everyday chores than a pistol. You could use your pistol to open mail, break down boxes, or maybe try to clean a fish. But I bet it would get messy quick. The OP may be better suited with an EDC knife for daily chores than to use up the belt or pocket space on a small, weak pistol with ammo that is hard to find and expensive.
    Sure, sure. My post wasn't directed at you specifically; there were others who said a knife would be better. For you direct point, who among us who contemplate carrying a pistol isn't already going to be carrying a knife? But that's really beside the point I was trying to make that a small caliber is going to be better for defense than a knife for most people.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sure, sure. My post wasn't directed at you specifically; there were others who said a knife would be better. For you direct point, who among us who contemplate carrying a pistol isn't already going to be carrying a knife? But that's really beside the point I was trying to make that a small caliber is going to be better for defense than a knife for most people.

I actually know a few people who carry a pistol almost every day but rarely ever carry a blade of any sort. My dad for example, until last Christmas when I finally bought him a decent folder. I got sick of loaning him mine, lol.

But yeah any pistol is still better for SD than an untrained person with just a knife.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The mistake is not having the .25, but relying on one as a man-stopper. I have many firearms that are not optimal as a backup gun but still are lots of fun to shoot. $100 for the unknown generic .25 is a little steep, but that depends on what it is! It COULD be a Browning..... I would take one for $100. Keep in mind that it's expensive to shoot but still they are great fun to plink around with. Have the guy let you play with it for a while...... If you like it then buy it. The amount that you like it will dictate how much you give him for the gun.

Not every gun should be judged by their man killing potential. Lots of us just won't admit it, but most guns are big boys toys anyway. How often do you go around shooting guys? I have shot the crap out of a junk raven .25 and had lots of fun. Firing pins are $1, get 10 of them and you are set for the week! Who can ask for more from a $25 dollar gun?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    .25ACP (May JMB be forgiven) is considered less lethal than the .22LR, so the comparison is not really valid. It was sort of dangerous before antibiotics, but not so much anymore. As fun as it may be to shoot at paper, proper shot placement becomes so important that it's basically not viable as a defensive round. You'd have to shoot the guy in both eyes and hope he's not close enough to grab you. Seriously, I wouldn't volunteer to stand downrange of you, but if you shot me with a .25 I'd probably punch you until you puked, before I went to the doctor.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    25acp pokes a 1/4" hole 10-12" deep in things. That is all.

Not a good primary weapon, but it would serve fine as a backup pistol or to pocket carry in light dress.

.25ACP (May JMB be forgiven) is considered less lethal than the .22LR, so the comparison is not really valid.

Its only considered that by people on the internet that copy and paste numbers from Wikipedia. The numbers used in virtually every comparison are not taken from comperable platforms. In weapons that are availible in BOTH .22lr and 25acp, the numbers are identical - which is the point of the 25 in the first place: to emulate the size and performance of the .22 in a centerfire platform.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, you stand over there. I have these two guns I want to try out... No, I'm comparing news stories (yeah, they're off the internet, but not Wikipedia) where people have had kills from .22LRs and others have had total lossage with .25ACP. Yes, there are kills with .25ACP and losses with .22LR, but that's not the pattern we see. No, I haven't done a spreadsheet or anything, it's not all scientistic and such, it's not conclusive, but there's a pattern, and sometimes that's all you have to work with.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Ok, you stand over there. I have these two guns I want to try out... No, I'm comparing news stories (yeah, they're off the internet, but not Wikipedia) where people have had kills from .22LRs and others have had total lossage with .25ACP. Yes, there are kills with .25ACP and losses with .22LR, but that's not the pattern we see. No, I haven't done a spreadsheet or anything, it's not all scientistic and such, it's not conclusive, but there's a pattern, and sometimes that's all you have to work with.

I believe the .22LR has killed more people than any other round (outside of war deaths). That's not because it's good at it, but because it's so cheap and readily available (or at least it used to be) that far more shootings happened with it than with anything else.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ignoring the ongoing pissing match. I own one of the cheapie .25s. I would not carry one for self defense. And i DO carry a Keltec p32 quite often. If it's a colt, browning, or other respected name and you'd like to have it for a p linker or trade bait, great. Buy it. If it's a Jennings, Lorcin, Jimenez, Davis, or one of the other cheapie names, I'd pass.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I shot Mr. Bunnyrabbit at 25 feet or so with one, and had to run him down. There was NO EXIT WOUND. On a rabbit. Right through the chest cavity. I traded that one for a .380 and never looked back. As stated above, I do own one now. I acquired it for an older friend to keep in his golf cart. When he was done with it I got it back. So it has sentimental value. Not self defense value.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Only if you plan to tie it to a parachute cord and swing it at the attacker. It is one of the calibers I would not trust at all. I would easily carry a .22 before a .25. My minimum is a .380. Considering your life may depend on it some day, your carry gun should be reliable and enough to stop someone. Considering other lower caliber pistols are not much smaller than the 380 I have no reason to carry a different minimum size caliber. I still don't own a 380, a 9mm is my smallest currently. I am still considering a 380 for the times I don't want to carry the 9mm shield, which is going to be very rare.

Last edited:

rjthebassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    5 miles from nowhere
    Thanks for all your input, I decided against it. Maybe an extra mag for my primary would be a cheaper, better back up? I'm one of those guys that carry a knife, sometimes two everyday of my life (unless I'm going on an airplaine) so I'm good in that area. Love my seber rachet-lock. Such a useful design.

Top Bottom