• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDJohnnyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    looking for a 30-30 lever action not really sure which model i want to go with. Does anyone have a prefrence in maker? also not looking to break the bank so would like to know the names of some affordable ones aswell.:draw:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you are using open sights, Winchester is gtg. If you want a scope, then Marlin is the better choice... (side eject on the Marlin top on Win.) :twocents:

Yep...... If you do go Marlin try to get an older Pre Remington model though. :twocents:

XDJohnnyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    have any of you had any interaction with the mossberg 464 tactical...i know it looks all new age. I'm not really sold on it but price isn't to bad on them

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I was just at a pawn shop in KY and the place was stuffed with nothing but .30-.30 lever guns and shot guns with a few .22 rifles in between

I like Henry but am unsure if they make one in .30-.30

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought one of the first Mossberg 464's when they first came out.

I wasn't looking for one, I already had one.
    I bought a used Marlin 336 a few years back and I was happy with it, or so I thought.

My sister-in-law asked me to help her pick out a 30-30 for her hubby. I know my brother, and his tastes. I started looking for a Marlin for him, but none were to be found at that time. It was near Christmas.

I went to Davison's Gun Genie and searched for lever guns in 30-30.
    The brand new (at that time) Mossberg 464 was being offered by Davison's in a limited edition laminated stock, and carrying the Davison's "lifetime warranty".

I talked her into buying one for my brother at about $475.

A few days went by and my local gun shop owner called to tell me to find an excuse to drag my brother into the shop to do the background check. This was still a surprise to him.

Well, I met her in the gun shop about 1/2 hour before brother got off work, so I had a chance to fondle his new toy before he did.

Shop owner handed it to me. I raised it to my shoulder, lined up the sights, racked the lever, and pulled the trigger but catching the hammer to prevent a dry-fire.

It only took one look. I handed it back to the gun shop owner and told him to order another one for me.
    When it came in, I sold my Marlin to my other brother. Now we all have nice 30-30's, but these new Mossbergs are really nice!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What year is pre Remington?

Easiest thing is to look on the right side of the barrel near the receiver. It will either be stamped JM (older, before buyout) or REM 9post buyout).

Also, if the fit of the wood is crappy with sharp edges where the stock meets the receiver, if the finish is just so-so and if screws are buggered, sights crooked, etc, probably a Remington

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlin's are great and plentiful in 30-30 in other states that allow them for hunting. In Indiana not so popular.

They are not the only levers with easy scope mounting. Winchester made the AE (Angle Eject ) models also and I think the mossburg 464 is basically a marlin clone.

A couple of other to keep an eye out for would be a octagon barreled winchester canadian centenal (OPen sights) as the one I used to shoot was the most accurate 30-30 I have fired. The glenfield 336 (Malrins sold by sears and Kmart amoung others have beechwood stock but everything else is pure marlin. From a pure pretty rifle the Winchester XTR's are about as pretty as you can get. The Savage 99 is the box mag version and scopes and handles like a bolt gun. The Browning BLR is pretty and accurate and you can get it in 223 to 450 marlin.

Hard to pick anything over a marlin in 30-30. The winchester XTR would be my second choice and the centenial model if I did not mind the weight.

Heck just buy one of each.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    i favor the 336 marlin myself. my grandpa gave me his that was like new. it is one that will never leave. i have seen them at the gunshows for a very reasonable price. i also don't like the fact that you have to squeeze the lever on the 94 winchester

darrin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Marlin 30-30

I got a 1970's model Marlin 30-30 for my high school graduation it is the side eject style, I have shot many 30-30's over the years but I have to say the early models are the cats meow. Leverution now makes the pointed tips instead of the soft nose tip, took down a real nice buck 2 years ago at 250 yrds aiming just about an inch higher than normal buck never took another step. The End,lol

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've seen a few of those Mossberg 464 SPX (I think that's it) with the hideous "Tactical" stocks on them and was wondering if wood replacements are available. I know there are many opions for the Winchester and Marlin but what about the new Mossberg? I've seen a couple Mossbergs for sale pretty reasonably but couldn't stand that stock.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've seen a few of those Mossberg 464 SPX (I think that's it) with the hideous "Tactical" stocks on them and was wondering if wood replacements are available. I know there are many opions for the Winchester and Marlin but what about the new Mossberg? I've seen a couple Mossbergs for sale pretty reasonably but couldn't stand that stock.

My Davison's "Limited Edition" came with a beautiful grey laminated stock.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have a Glenfield 30A (Marlin 30-30 Lever Action) made in 1975 with the original marlin branded scope on it. Great Rifle ! Get one..atleast! Ive had my eye out for another! Picked mine up at auction for $250 and it looks almost exactly as it did when it came out of its box when new.

Nicely made rifle and shoots great!

You can date potential rifles for yourself by going here:
    Marlin Manufacture Dates
    or check this forum post out:
    Dating Marlin Tables...

Basically on the lever actions you take the first two numbers and subtract them from 100 and that gives you the model year.

Mine is 25... so 100-25=75 ...1975

Ive really been kicking around the idea of getting a Marlin 308MX (lever action in .308)

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    Henry does make a .30-.30. very nice.
    Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

i have a Marlin 336 and it is a good gun.
    fun to shoot but...had a few problems at first with the breaking in of it, after that, it is a good shooter, very accurate.

mine is a new one(9 months old).

we shoot steel and at 50 and 100 yards with it and it hits the the target hard, wants to knock it over almost every time at 50. and you can see it move it at 100.

again, i like my new one now very much.

that being said, look for an old one if you can.

if you choose to buy a new one, check it out very closely. pay special attention to the sights and the way the barrel is set in the wood.

if you do get a new one break it in slowly and after every few shots, check to see all the screws in the receiver stayed tight and are flush and good to go.(bad day out in a buddies soy bean field last summer with the new one taught me a lot, wow, what a day! leathermans rule.)

if you can afford it get the Henry, i love my Big Boy .357. i just love lever guns a lot.
    a Winchester is next, now there is an expensive gun.

Top Bottom