• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    sounds like a lot of work just to kill deer...the new muzzle loader will shoot 200 yards...plus most Indiana guys dont shoot past 100 yds at deer...encore in 460S&W/480 ruger will do also

agreed. i had hard data on my prohunter out to 300. @ 300 i would not have hesitated if i could not stalk closer or there were no other options. obviouslyif i couldget within 100yds that is what i did, but i hunt alot of open fields so long shots weresomtimes your only option. my longest kill with a muzzleloader was 240ish.

this year im building a 358. the main reason is im just ready for a change of pace. ive hunted soley with a bow and muzzleloader for 20ish years. i abandoned shotguns long before inlines were all the rage.

for me its just somthing new. ill probably go back to muzzleloaders in5-10 years

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Why would anyone still want a 358WSSM? The parent brass is getting harder and harder to find because the 223WSSM and 243WSSM cartridges were more or less complete failures.

Now that Indiana is allowing 243 and 308 caliber rifles for deer hunting, I can't imagine why anyone would build an AR15 based on obsolescent brass. I'd be more interested in the 358 SOCOM wildcat, if I just had to have an AR to hunt deer with.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Why would anyone still want a 358WSSM? The parent brass is getting harder and harder to find because the 223WSSM and 243WSSM cartridges were more or less complete failures.

Now that Indiana is allowing 243 and 308 caliber rifles for deer hunting, I can't imagine why anyone would build an AR15 based on obsolescent brass. I'd be more interested in the 358 SOCOM wildcat, if I just had to have an AR to hunt deer with.

Or a plain old .308.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Perhaps he hunts public land and besides WSSM brass is still available and will be for a long time. Cases can also be made from WSM brass as well.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Perhaps he hunts public land and besides WSSM brass is still available and will be for a long time. Cases can also be made from WSM brass as well.

Good point on the public land hunting, although I suspect even there you'll be able to use normal cartridges before long.

I checked a couple sources for WSSM brass, of any kind, and don't find it. I'm sure you'd have to neck turn or ream if using WSM brass, but that will be around for many years to come.

The interest here is in using an AR15 platform with an Indiana-legal (even on public land) cartridge, in a rifle configuration. That's pretty specific, but I understand how it would appeal to some folks. I went with the shortened 35 Remington, for the simple fact that it doesn't require an expensive barrel or dies. There's lots of legal options, but before too much longer I would imagine anything bigger than a centerfire 22 will be legal. :twocents:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Good point on the public land hunting, although I suspect even there you'll be able to use normal cartridges before long.

I checked a couple sources for WSSM brass, of any kind, and don't find it. I'm sure you'd have to neck turn or ream if using WSM brass, but that will be around for many years to come.

The interest here is in using an AR15 platform with an Indiana-legal (even on public land) cartridge, in a rifle configuration. That's pretty specific, but I understand how it would appeal to some folks. I went with the shortened 35 Remington, for the simple fact that it doesn't require an expensive barrel or dies. There's lots of legal options, but before too much longer I would imagine anything bigger than a centerfire 22 will be legal. :twocents:

I agree that all centerfires above .22 will likely be legal everywhere in the state soon. At least I hope so. Its hard to find a lot of brass in less than mainstream calibers and even some mainstream ones. I have had a hard time finding .338 win mag and .35 Rem. until recently. I would expect the WSSM brass will still be made but in seasonal runs after demand for more popular cartridges have been met. Were it me looking to use a round in an AR that meets the public land rules, I would either go the .450 Bushmaster route in an AR-15 or just move up to bigger brother and go with a .45 Raptor or the .358 Hoosier.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Please share! :)

Also, WSM brass is very very thick and is hard to reform. I was on the waiting list for a few years but recently got an email that I was being removed and that it was discontinued.

I was fortunate enough to get two new bags of .25 WSSM brass when I started. I'm probably set for life, but I have stopped load development.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Please share! :)

Also, WSM brass is very very thick and is hard to reform. I was on the waiting list for a few years but recently got an email that I was being removed and that it was discontinued.

I was fortunate enough to get two new bags of .25 WSSM brass when I started. I'm probably set for life, but I have stopped load development.

I haven't bought any WSSM brass since last year but have had good luck at that time finding already formed brass from Bass and Bucks and once fired .243 and .257 WSSM brass online from a variety of sources. I agree on the WSM brass being hard to work with and would only use it as a last resort.... but it can be done if necessary.

Top Bottom