• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I was given some Sellier & Bellot .38spl wadcutters by a relative yesterday. I just picked up a Taurus 85, and was wondering if it'd be safe to shoot these through it. I know little to nothing about revolvers, and absolutely nothing about wadcutters. I hoped I could use these for plinking. So, thoughts on this?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No problem at all, although they are pure lead rounds, so you may end up needing to clean a little more than usual.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Lead is no problem..

Will CLP take care of it?

If after your normal barrel clean, you see some streaks of lead, the two easiest ways:

1.Use an over sized (.45acp) Stainless Steel brush soaked in CLP, stroke,slowly the inside of the barrel 1/2 dozen times, and the cyl chambers 2-3 times.

2.Get a "Chore Boy" COPPER cleaning pad, cut off small sections, feed into a cleaning eye, and stroke inside of barrel a dozen or so times, and the cyl 2-3 times.

Note:If you choose option #1-do NOT run brush fast, or get overly aggressive in your brushing--do a couple of strokes-follow with dry patch+repeat as needed.

I shoot a lot of wheel weight lead, and either way works for me...Bill.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    If after your normal barrel clean, you see some streaks of lead, the two easiest ways:

1.Use an over sized (.45acp) Stainless Steel brush soaked in CLP, stroke,slowly the inside of the barrel 1/2 dozen times, and the cyl chambers 2-3 times.

2.Get a "Chore Boy" COPPER cleaning pad, cut off small sections, feed into a cleaning eye, and stroke inside of barrel a dozen or so times, and the cyl 2-3 times.

Note:If you choose option #1-do NOT run brush fast, or get overly aggressive in your brushing--do a couple of strokes-follow with dry patch+repeat as needed.

I know with semi-auto's you should never insert a cleaning rod into the the muzzle end first, always start with the brush in the chamber. Is this true for revolvers too? It'd be hard for me to get a brush and rod into my barrel unless I stick up the muzzle end first. Is this still a no-no even with revolvers?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Wad cutters are my favorite plinking bullets to load. Light recoil, great way to get a beginner used to a small revolver, and they cut the cleanest holes in targets. Clean up for be usually consists of a wet patch with CLP or Kroil, let it soak for a few min, then run a brush through the barrel a few times. Another wet patch to pick up the loose chunks, followed by dry patch on a jag. If that Taurus is stainless, I highly recommend picking up a lead remover cloth too, makes getting the powder burns off the front of the cylinder much easier.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Wad cutters are my favorite plinking bullets to load. Light recoil, great way to get a beginner used to a small revolver, and they cut the cleanest holes in targets. Clean up for be usually consists of a wet patch with CLP or Kroil, let it soak for a few min, then run a brush through the barrel a few times. Another wet patch to pick up the loose chunks, followed by dry patch on a jag. If that Taurus is stainless, I highly recommend picking up a lead remover cloth too, makes getting the powder burns off the front of the cylinder much easier.

But, my question above your post; do I insert the rob from the muzzle end or, like a semi auto, start with inserting it into the forcing cone?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I know with semi-auto's you should never insert a cleaning rod into the the muzzle end first, always start with the brush in the chamber. Is this true for revolvers too? It'd be hard for me to get a brush and rod into my barrel unless I stick up the muzzle end first. Is this still a no-no even with revolvers?

The cleaning rod down the muzzle is OK on a revolver. The key point is to NOT let the rod drag down the edges of the barrel when stroking. In other words, try to keep the rod centered in the bore.
    I have more than several revolvers that I have done this for years (25-40), and they shoot as good today as they did when new. And NO, I do not have any lead in my barrels..Bill.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The cleaning rod down the muzzle is OK on a revolver. The key point is to NOT let the rod drag down the edges of the barrel when stroking. In other words, try to keep the rod centered in the bore.
    I have more than several revolvers that I have done this for years (25-40), and they shoot as good today as they did when new. And NO, I do not have any lead in my barrels..Bill.

Thanks again Bill! You're very helpful today :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You WILL have fun with your revolver..

You will find after you get used to the "ins+outs" of your little revolver you will want to buy something bigger to go with it..

A good starter is a "K" frame S&W (4 or 6"barrel). Those, or the Ruger GP100's are GREAT range/target/hunting guns that will kind of "Grow" on you...Bill.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    You will find after you get used to the "ins+outs" of your little revolver you will want to buy something bigger to go with it..

A good starter is a "K" frame S&W (4 or 6"barrel). Those, or the Ruger GP100's are GREAT range/target/hunting guns that will kind of "Grow" on you...Bill.

Next one up on the list is a Ruger SP101 3" .357/.38 stainless with an XS big dot night sight on the front! OR a nice 2"-4" SW 686 with fixed rear sights. Oh yeah, I've got the bug. :D

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Next one up on the list is a Ruger SP101 3" .357/.38 stainless with an XS big dot night sight on the front! OR a nice 2"-4" SW 686 with fixed rear sights. Oh yeah, I've got the bug. :D

I started into revolvers a bit larger, my first was a Ruger SBH. My next was a Smith 442, and now, I am keeping an eye open for a 4" Smith in .357 to go with it. I still love my autos, but its nice to be able to shoot and not chase brass everywhere sometimes.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I started into revolvers a bit larger, my first was a Ruger SBH. My next was a Smith 442, and now, I am keeping an eye open for a 4" Smith in .357 to go with it. I still love my autos, but its nice to be able to shoot and not chase brass everywhere sometimes.

I love auto's as well. I don't think I'll be going higher than .357 in my next revolver. Maybe after that I'll look into .41mag or .44mag. :D

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

On this Bill, does it NEED to be stainless brush? I have a .45 nylon brush I can attach to a cleaning rod. Will this suffice?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

What ever you want to do is fine by me...

But, chemically speaking, Breakfree CLP doesn't dissolve lead.

-J-

Top Bottom