• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hoppes #9 isn't a lead solvent, either.

I don't know about Kroil.

If you want a lead solvent - buy something that says "lead solvent" on it.

One choice may be Shooter's Choice. Another is this: no-lead

Many/most of the CLP-type products will just aid in the mechanical removal of Pb build-up vs. the chemical removal.

Also, perhaps if a CLP-type product is used on a the bore before lead is shot, then that may very well aid in the mechanical removal.

-J-

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hoppes #9 isn't a lead solvent, either.

I don't know about Kroil.

If you want a lead solvent - buy something that says "lead solvent" on it.

One choice may be Shooter's Choice. Another is this: no-lead

Many/most of the CLP-type products will just aid in the mechanical removal of Pb build-up vs. the chemical removal.

Also, perhaps if a CLP-type product is used on a the bore before lead is shot, then that may very well aid in the mechanical removal.

-J-

Thanks. You seem to be the INGO in-house chemist/metallurgist. :yesway:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks. You seem to be the INGO in-house chemist/metallurgist. :yesway:

Not really...

I just hate misinformation. And, like any sub-culture, the gun culture is FULL OF IT.

And in the day and age of Google, the ingredients of the cleaners can be at one's fingertips quite easily. Then further Googling will tell you what those ingredients can do vs. what people are claiming they can/will do.

Kind of like the folks who swear by Windex on their firearms after having shot corrosive ammo through it. :n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    how do you clean rust off a gun ? will wd 40 work

Depends on the gun...and the rust...

Generally speaking, some very very fine copper-wool + some kind of penetrating oil + elbow grease will work.

Stainless steel might be a different story... As are VERY rusty firearms.

-J-

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kroil isn't a solvent. It is a SUPERB penetrating oil. The idea of using it in the bore is that it penetrates behind the lead and lifts it to be cleaned. When I say superb I mean it, don't let the stuff get on or near anything you don't want coming loose (i.e. action screws, sights, etc.)

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Not really...

I just hate misinformation. And, like any sub-culture, the gun culture is FULL OF IT.

And in the day and age of Google, the ingredients of the cleaners can be at one's fingertips quite easily. Then further Googling will tell you what those ingredients can do vs. what people are claiming they can/will do.

Kind of like the folks who swear by Windex on their firearms after having shot corrosive ammo through it. :n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

Indeed it is. Either way, you're very knowledgeable (your post history shows that) and I appreciate it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Kroil isn't a solvent. It is a SUPERB penetrating oil. The idea of using it in the bore is that it penetrates behind the lead and lifts it to be cleaned. When I say superb I mean it, don't let the stuff get on or near anything you don't want coming loose (i.e. action screws, sights, etc.)
    I will second this. I use Kroil and a bronze brush of correct size for the bore, and usually after soaking the barrel for 15-20 min, passing the brush through a few times produces flakes of lead. Follow with a wet patch with Kroil, to pick up loose debris, and then run a dry patch through on a jag, to get the rest. I usually will push a few clean patches through, to make sure everything is out.

The best chemical to remove lead is mercury, and I am not going to go trying to chase down extremely toxic chemicals to remove lead when a little elbow grease and some penetrating oil will get the job done.

Top Bottom