.44 magnum, collectors item, practical, or glam?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Now that i feel like i've entered the gun owners club big time, i'm looking at which direction to head in next. From a collector's and investors mentality, i can see the value of buying low-selling high. From a practical viewpoint, i can see the value of having a powerful and intimidating "friend" in an ugly confrontation. It's from the "if you were to invest $530 in a gun, and you already owned a 9MM handgun,a .40 S&W carbine, and a 12 gauge home defense, what would you buy, it's that "itch that want's to be scratched", is where i'm stuck. To be more specific it's the Ruger Super Blackhawk Revolver, the famous/infamous .44 magnum, "the most powerful handgun in the world that will blow your head clear off" Dirty Harry gun.
    Not that i have the $ on hand, but is it worth saving up the $ for, or just a compulsive reaction for someone new to the gun buff crowd?:patriot:

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I say.... If YOU want it, save up to get it!

You can even use it for deer hunting if you want... Dual use! :D

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Well, if its something I really really want, I usually have to save for because it usually costs a bit. Once I have the money I say, "This is what I saved for", so I get it.
    If you have saved, if you have the money, "Get it". If you chaange your mind, you can always sell it here and I`m sure, get a good price for it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The .44 magnum is very practical here in Indiana bc you can hunt with it. I had A Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag for awhile but ended up selling it bc someone offered me more than I paid for it. It kicks and its load and expensive to shoot and using .44spl doesnt negate many of those factors but I think they are well worth it if your into pistol hunting.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Incidentally, i did have hunting in mind. It would be a new frontier for me, and had thought that i would be using the .40 S&W carbine, but maybe the .44 Blackhawk would be a better choice?

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    530 is doable for 44 magnum, but not in a gun I particularly want.

629's tend to be in the 600 range. Desert Eagles are 700 if you search but more realistically 800+. Anaconda's are 800+ when you don't find someone asking funny money. I have seen beat model 29's under 500. there was a 4 inch on hoosiertopics today that sounded ugly, but under 500.

Your two real choices are a Dan Wesson or a Taurus. Of the two the Dan Wesson might end up being more collectible in the long road, but it could be awhile.

If you want it to be collectible I would be prepared to pony up a bit more cash or expect to spend a fair amount of time searching for a good deal. Otherwise I suggest saving some cash in order to get something a bit more special. If you can run across a Dan Wesson 445 Supermag it would probably be the most likely to increase in value and still be relatively cheap. The real trouble is finding one.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Incidentally, i did have hunting in mind. It would be a new frontier for me, and had thought that i would be using the .40 S&W carbine, but maybe the .44 Blackhawk would be a better choice?

Yeah alot better. Pistol hunting is totally different than using a rifle, Its harder alot harder. I would recomend a .44 mag rifle for hunting.

The .40 carbine is a hd gun not really my first choice for hunting, you want something that will kill the game as humanely as possible and .44 is much a better choice for that reason.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Just get it. I love giving in to my impulse gun buys. Its a great way to aquire a good collection. I have yet to regret any of my impluse wants/buys.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I would go ahead and get it. I love my 629 and i'v had my eye on a super blackhawk hunter for a while. There isn't a whole lot that 44 magnum isn't good for imo.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have a 6 1/2" S&W model 29-2, purchased new in 1973 (yeah, I fell for the Dirty Harry syndrome!) and its a until-death-do-us-part gun. Almost all my students already know the "Do I feel lucky" line and love seeing and handling the gun. Fun to shoot, too!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have 3) 44 magnum handguns...I shoot them occasionally. I bought them because that is what I wanted, no other reason. If you want a certain gun, you don't necessarly have to have a practical use for it other than you want to own one.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I rarely ever think when buying gun these days about how practical they are. I have the basics and now its just down to what I think I would have a good time shooting. There does not need to be any other reason for it. If you want one save up and get it. Think of the reason or use for it later.

army bratt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    north side evansville
    ok 2 things to mention my friend the "dirty harry gun" is a mod 29 smith and wesson. however, the super redhawk .44 magnum is the finest 44 you'll ever buy. its the practicle hunter with all the power you need for wild pig and pretty if you like stainless. not so good on the cc subject though, my barrel always sticks out.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If you want a Blackhawk by all means get one, BTW Dirty Harry carried a S&W Model 29. If your worried about resale Id get a Colt Anaconda. Cost more than a Ruger but its a Colt and thats why lol I dont think a Super Blackhawk will go up in value unless they quit making them

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah alot better. Pistol hunting is totally different than using a rifle, Its harder alot harder. I would recomend a .44 mag rifle for hunting.

The .40 carbine is a hd gun not really my first choice for hunting, you want something that will kill the game as humanely as possible and .44 is much a better choice for that reason.
    The .40 isn't legal for hunting (deer anyhow) in Indiana so, the .44 would take care of that.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Buy it. Start reloading. Start casting. you will love all of it. Welcome to the sickness that is guns and gun accessories. BTW there is no cure so enjoy.

Top Bottom