• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It's a Cimarron, 1874 Sharps Deluxe, 45-70GOV'T, 32" Octagonal Barrel, Blued

I was also confused by the 25,000 PSI number the manual stated, seeing as my reloading manual as well as any source I found online had that same 28,000 PSI standard for trapdoor loads.
    Dont worry about your rifle, its a great action made from modern steel. It will easily handle the 28,000 loads.
    Its a huge learning curve to shoot BP cartridges. Smokeless is easier to get the basics down first.

For starters, Do you reload?

99% of what I shoot in my 1885's I cast myself.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Dont worry about your rifle, its a great action made from modern steel. It will easily handle the 28,000 loads.
    Its a huge learning curve to shoot BP cartridges. Smokeless is easier to get the basics down first.

For starters, Do you reload?

99% of what I shoot in my 1885's I cast myself.
    Yes, I reload, but so far I haven't made the foray into casting my own bullets, though I might like to do so some day. I've loaded 308, 223, 9mm, 7.7 Arisaka, 6.5 CM, and 300 BO, so not just a whole lot of different cartridges, but a little bit to get the feel for it.

I was also hoping to be able to use smokeless powder loads to start out, as it seemed a lot simpler, so it sounds like that's definitely the way to go. I also assumed/hoped that the 28K PSI loads would be find, but it's good to have some reassurance on that.

Thanks!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Also take a peek at castboolits.com and read at least the thread in black powder cartridges, Loads of information.
    Also BPCR books by Paul Mathews, Steve Garby and others.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks for the pointers!

So is it correct to say that cast lead and soft points are both legal for deer, while full metal jacket are not, or am I misunderstanding that?

I've never hunted with FMJ, but don't know for a fact that it's illegal. Just really never saw the need. The Remington 405s I use because years ago I got a bunch of them at an auction, but if you really shoot much 45-70 cast is the way to go. A tip on casting those big slugs if you use bottom pour is to cast them when the pot is full for best fill out. I have two 20 pound "Lee Leakers" one for hard alloy, and one for soft lead.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Oh, I think this answers my question above. So "Round nose" means "Round nose" and "Round nose flat point" means "Flat point no round nose." Makes sense, lol...

Anyways, I don't really know what weight I'm going to use yet, that was one of the main questions I had was what's best to start with?
    As far as what weight, I would take Leadeye suggestion of 300-350 if your rifle shoots them accurately. It will be easier on you and still be way plenty to do the job. Shot placement is easily more important than bullet choice here.

Full metal jacket bullets are illegal for hunting. Jacketed soft points are legal, so is all copper, but cast work just fine.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    For what it's worth, I shoot these 300g thru my Cimarron Sharps (similar to yours) & they aren't too Brutal.
    I don't Hunt, but these are easy on the Shoulder for Plinkin steel!
    Acme Bullets in Wisc (Not the place used by Wile E Coyote) lists them as: Round Nose Flat Point, Coated.
    1659276893118.png

Top Bottom