• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Do you need a high capacity pistol or will a SAA with 6 rounds do for everyday carry? I have not read a single article where a non law in forcemeat shooting required over 4 rounds to put the bad guys down or running. I am as guilty as most here wanting 50 rounds (counting reloads) to put down range, I carried a 2011 with 14 rounds of 10mm with 2 mags carrying 23 rounds. I am not going to be in a fire fight as i am not equipped for it at 76, also I don't have a patoon of Navy Seals to help me. Every round put down range that is a miss also has your name on it for any damage done so the SAA will limit you to 6 missis while that Glock could be 30.

Why dose a person EDCing need more than 6-7 rounds in a pistol other than they want it! Would make a lot lighter EDC if you only carried 6 or 12.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    What if there are multiple attackers?
    What if you miss 50% of your shots in the heat of the moment?
    What if you have a malfunction?

Why not prepare for better odds of survival?

Lpherr

Occupied
    Do you not remember Jacob Blake?

"Seven gunshots were fired, which ultimately left Blake partially paralyzed."

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I'll carry the gun that feels the best. . which holds 15. With the way carjackings, robberies, personal attacks are on the rise I feel it's the right choice.

Lpherr

Occupied
    If you only have 6 rounds and you actually need more then you're :poop: out of luck.

Now if you have 16 and only need 8 you're still kicking.

Carry what you want or feel comfortable with, just don't lie to yourself and say you will never need more.
    Do they have a belt fed 9mm?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I never felt under gunned with a 38 special revolver when I was a policeman. I didn't feel better armed when we switched to Third Gen S&W then Glock 17's. Tactics and training are always paramount.

Although I own semi automatic pistols, it's normally a revolver that I strap on every day. And sometimes it's a 6 inch Blackhawk.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Do you need a high capacity pistol or will a SAA with 6 rounds do for everyday carry? I have not read a single article where a non law in forcemeat shooting required over 4 rounds to put the bad guys down or running. I am as guilty as most here wanting 50 rounds (counting reloads) to put down range, I carried a 2011 with 14 rounds of 10mm with 2 mags carrying 23 rounds. I am not going to be in a fire fight as i am not equipped for it at 76, also I don't have a patoon of Navy Seals to help me. Every round put down range that is a miss also has your name on it for any damage done so the SAA will limit you to 6 missis while that Glock could be 30.

Why dose a person EDCing need more than 6-7 rounds in a pistol other than they want it! Would make a lot lighter EDC if you only carried 6 or 12.
    Statistically 6rds is plenty. Just make sure you find good cover if you need to reload or have a backup gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've posted the more indepth version of this multiple times and you're free to seek those out. The answer depends on your threat level. Random crime doesn't look like targeted crime.

Random crime: Less dedicate attacker, would rather live to rob/rape/fight another day. Short encounters (time-wise). Some interaction takes place before the violence (demand for property, for example) People run out of time before they run out of ammo because one side is down or fleeing before capacity matters regardless of how many participants are on either side.

Targeted crime: Dedicated attacker, more likely to be willing to die to complete the crime. Longer encounters (time-wise). Higher round counts. More likely to be fighting from ambush. Longer distances. More likely for cover to be used. Capacity more likely to matter.

Which are you concerned with? Do you have a stalker? Have you gotten death threats due to your job? Etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Spend a few weeks watching the Active Self Protection YouTube channel. You'll see a few trends begin to emerge.

One is that self-defenders often shoot the gun dry or close to it. Essentially if they have six rounds they'll fire six. If they have 12, they fire 12, etc. More is better if there are multiple attacker's.

Also, reloads just don't happen in civilian gun fights. The rate of occurance based on thousands of videos is approaching statistical zero. Very different than law enforcement. But it's still a good idea to have spare mag in case of a mechanical failure or to top off the empty gun after the threat has ended.

Just my :twocents:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I only own one revolver and it’s not getting confiscated by police if I have to use it. It’s got too much sentimental value. I have wanted a 2” .357 though. If I don’t hit my target they’ll be blind and deaf at least.

Top Bottom