• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guns of today have way more capacity and are virtually the same size as the guns of 5 years ago. Why would you not carry one with more rounds?
    That as has been stated is a personal choice. Pick your comfort levels.
    I am 71 and have always carried a 1911 in some form or another. By choice. 9 in the EDC (yea cocked and locked full mag behind that) and 1 spare wig 8.
    If I get into something so damned hairy for that number not to take care of it I am either a seriously bad shot or just waisting ammo.

Heat of battle and all but still.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable. Its supposed to be comforting.
    I'm going to disagree with this. It is comforting, but if you know how to choose holsters, it's very comfortable. I've almost accidentally walked into severely prohibited places because my holster was too comfortable and I forgot I was wearing it.

Carry what you want, what you like and what makes you happy. If that's a G17 with a 50 round mag, good for you. If you like your Colt SAA, I applaud your good taste. Carry that with pride then.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm going to disagree with this. It is comforting, but if you know how to choose holsters, it's very comfortable. I've almost accidentally walked into severely prohibited places because my holster was too comfortable and I forgot I was wearing it.

Carry what you want, what you like and what makes you happy. If that's a G17 with a 50 round mag, good for you. If you like your Colt SAA, I applaud your good taste. Carry that with pride then.
    Also the right belt makes a difference too. I found that out over the years of carry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think you misunderstood which canal was mentioned.
    Oh, I remember. Me and that asshat went round and round and round to the point an Ingo friend was going to buy a Moisan he had up for sale so I could ride along and met this TSA officer in the flesh. I was that pissed and not the calm cool natured churchmouse I am today. Cooler heads prevailed and RobbyMac liberally applied the hammer.
    He was the member that started the whole bully thing and repeatedly reported me to Fenway and the staff. They all got a huge giggle out of him, but I did not.

That ordeal got me this from secret Santa that year. Hilarious

D2SlSmS.jpg

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    When the shootin' is over,
    and you're walking around kicking perps guns away from their bodies, it's a whole lot easier to slam in a new mag than futz around with a loading gate.
    Butttt... maybe you're some sort of SASS grand Master champion type.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    When the shootin' is over,
    and you're walking around kicking perps guns away from their bodies, it's a whole lot easier to slam in a new mag than futz around with a loading gate.
    Butttt... maybe you're some sort of SASS grand Master champion type.
    Yep.”A few of you guys get this one over to Doc and these other two over to Percy’s. Move along folks..nothing to see here… just go on home”

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Do you need a high capacity pistol or will a SAA with 6 rounds do for everyday carry? I have not read a single article where a non law in forcemeat shooting required over 4 rounds to put the bad guys down or running. I am as guilty as most here wanting 50 rounds (counting reloads) to put down range, I carried a 2011 with 14 rounds of 10mm with 2 mags carrying 23 rounds. I am not going to be in a fire fight as i am not equipped for it at 76, also I don't have a patoon of Navy Seals to help me. Every round put down range that is a miss also has your name on it for any damage done so the SAA will limit you to 6 missis while that Glock could be 30.

Why dose a person EDCing need more than 6-7 rounds in a pistol other than they want it! Would make a lot lighter EDC if you only carried 6 or 12.
    Hmm I think I'd carry my SAA with 5 with the hammer down on an empty but that's just me.

That being said I usually carry a 642 or my 8 shot Redhawk but I've started carrying my Heritage Arms SAA clone out of comfort and familiarity with SAA's and clones like them. I'm also a dedicated to carrying revolvers though so I'm probably biased :dunno::draw:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not uncommon for multiple attackers these days.

I feel more comfortable w higher cap and easier reloading. Plus stuff can happen- malfunction or error, an extra mag to pop in is good insurance.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not uncommon for multiple attackers these days.

It's never been uncommon. The issue is people run out of time before ammunition. Number of assailants was a huge predictor of who won and lost in random violence encounters. Real gunmen aren't cardboard targets patiently waiting their turn for holes. They are shooting, moving, grappling, etc. once they realize you are engaging #1 if you're unlucky. If you're lucky they are fleeing. If they all stand and fight, you've got real long odds. More capacity will be more better, but few people have the skill and luck (and you'll need both) to get to that point.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    For myself, I think it was Clint Smith who said. "you never hear someone saying they have too much ammo in a firefight". In an autoloader, the extra mag (or 2) can also be for mag failure. In a SAA, even a few shells in the pocket wouldn't take much and weigh much less than a revolver.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Capacity while important should not the primary factor for your EDC pistol.
    Mindset and training come first.
    So much of what is important is covered by Peacekeeper3073...
    One's mindset is key...personal safety bubble...situational awareness...condition Yellow (minimum!)
    Developing a mindset for personal safety and situational awareness is key to self-preservation!
    Being alert to and constantly aware of one's surrounding's is the best starting point.
    Carrying an intermediate deterrent device (aka, pepper spray) that is less-lethal, is important.
    Know your state and local regulations regarding concealed carry and use-of-force laws.
    Carry with the attitude that avoidance is best, seek an egress route or adequate concealment.
    Obtaining and maintaining training (not just shooting at stationary paper targets) in the event that you have no other choice than to defend yourself, or a loved one, with a firearm.
    Everything operates on a sliding scale or is a trade-off...research, know, and understand your chosen caliber's strengths and inherent weaknesses!
    Carry what you're comfortable with...and practice with it regularly.
    I, personally, prefer a larger caliber and am okay with less rounds as a result.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Barney Fife just carried one and he kept it in his front pocket….and he was LEO…
    I came on the department in 1994. The old timers preferred the Smith and Wesson over the Colt because when you slapped a guy with it, the Smith was not likely to bend the injector rod. Their spare ammo was thickly green and fused into the drop pouch. And they were not joking.

The very definition of dangerous men. I learned a lot because I tried to listen. They and their policing is long gone. I never slapped anyone with a handgun. Flashlight always worked well.

Top Bottom