• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I actually tried both the GP100 and the 686, and bought the 686 because it fit my hand a bit better. The GP100 was just a bit large for me.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I can only imagine how difficult this decision will be for you to make. Either way you go, you will forever be second guessing yourself and you may even have nightmares about this decision. Heck it's hard for me to pick one over the other and they are not my guns. That said, however, I suggest that you keep the 19 for all of the reasons listed and put the 686 back on your wish list for later in life. You will probably find one down the road when you can better afford it and it may not have the "Hillary Hole." Good luck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The 686 is probably easier to shoot well because it's a little heavier.

The Model 19 would be harder to replace.

I'd keep the M 19 for now and get another 686 in the future.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Right now I can't afford to be a collector. I plan on using it primarily as a home defense gun.

I probably should make a range trip before I decide for good, with the most shootable grips on each one.

I would think most people would shoot the 686 better, especially follow up shots, simply because of the extra weight. But the M19 may have a fantabulous trigger, or fit you better than the 686. One thing's for sure; if you make that final range trip you'll be looking to "thin" somewhere else...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Extra tipping point... My model 19 may not be a beauty queen, but she can wear these and my 686 can't...

temporary_zpshrccwejf.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You said you don't have the money to be a collector. (Neither do I). Based on that, if it's going to be a shooter, there are some issues with the 19 you need to be aware of. You didn't say what vintage these are, but there will come a time when you're not going to be able to keep the 19 running if you shoot it a lot. Things like ratchets, hammer-mounted firing pins, etc. for these guns are not being made by Smith any more as they have transitioned to the MIM parts. Eventually, your only way of scoring those parts will be either to find a gunsmith who has extras around, or to cannibalize them off another gun. If the 686 is newer vintage and has the MIM parts, this will not be an issue for the foreseeable future. Again, this is only if you plan to shoot it a lot. If it's going to be a queen and not see many rounds, it may not matter. But you should consider it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    You said you don't have the money to be a collector. (Neither do I). Based on that, if it's going to be a shooter, there are some issues with the 19 you need to be aware of. You didn't say what vintage these are, but there will come a time when you're not going to be able to keep the 19 running if you shoot it a lot. Things like ratchets, hammer-mounted firing pins, etc. for these guns are not being made by Smith any more as they have transitioned to the MIM parts. Eventually, your only way of scoring those parts will be either to find a gunsmith who has extras around, or to cannibalize them off another gun. If the 686 is newer vintage and has the MIM parts, this will not be an issue for the foreseeable future. Again, this is only if you plan to shoot it a lot. If it's going to be a queen and not see many rounds, it may not matter. But you should consider it.

Ok, you just re-nailed it from a practical perspective. Sometimes you have to put sentimentality aside (19) for the righteousness of being realistic (686). If it's going to be shot, and shot on a regular basis... the 686 IS the logical choice.

PUNK! Seriously, that 19 shined up beautifully. I see blued M19s come up from time-to-time, but it's a rare bird indeed to see such a looker come up in nickel.

The early bird, and all that. Punk.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, that may tip the scale back a bit. Round count on my 2-year-old 686, about 400. Round count on my 1968 M19, unknown.

I wonder how the stags would look on my M64, which is never leaving me?

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Snapdragon;6385I509 said:
    OK, that may tip the scale back a bit. Round count on my 2-year-old 686, about 400. Round count on my 1988 M19, unknown

I don't know about your 686, but my 3" Plus is my S&W "Ruger". It's their version of "built like a tank" tough, and boy, does it gobble up 357 without breaking a sweat. And for being a 3", mine is just stupid accurate, and is always in the range bag. I'm not very nice to mine, and it begs for more after I'm wiped out. And then it cleans up like a diamond.

I know, I know... it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the partial underlug that comes with a 19 or 66, but the balance, accuracy, shoot-ability, and just plain toughness... it's hard to overlook these things if you think about it from Twangbanger's POV.

Top Bottom