• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    As much as I love the Model 19, and have lusted after a non-snubby version since I was a youngster, I will have to admit that the 686 is a mighty nice revolver. Even if they are stainless. I'm a shooter, my collector days are well behind me now, so the shooter would stay with me and the other would go bye-bye.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you're talking about a gun intended to be used and not as some kind of investment or collector's item, the answer is obvious: stick with the 686
    You'll definitely have no problem finding a buyer for the M19.
    There will be two people very pleased once it's all said and done.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Update: So far, I have kept both. :) But I have decided to let a few of my .38 spl's go. The 6" M14 is not as practical, and why get rid of a .357 when I have three M10's?

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Ive been contemplating virtually the same thing, except the 686 w/lock and 19 are 2.5" that ive been debating between. I decided its time to sell the 686(one of these days, lol) , Its the only Smith I have with a lock, + I have a 4" 586 that goes to the range with me most of the time anyway. It wasn't an easy choice for me either.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You will soon deeply regret (did I say seriously regret) selling either handgun. They are both some of the finest examples of the wheel gun perfection; why get rid of either? Keep them both!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You will soon deeply regret (did I say seriously regret) selling either handgun. They are both some of the finest examples of the wheel gun perfection; why get rid of either? Keep them both!

^&This^^ True statement. Out of the few handguns I have sold a couple S&W tevolvers are the ones I regret.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Agreed, bgcatty. So far I've hung onto them both, but a member PMed me an offer on the 686. :nailbite: I really think I might as well hang onto the .357's, and if I have to thin the herd, let a couple of .38's go.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    My vote would be for the 19 but I admit that I'm biased.

I hearken back to the days of Smiths with two digit model numbers, or NO model numbers. When I was a young cop the wheelgun that we all lusted after was the Model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. They were utterly impossible to acquire due to the fact that all of Smith's production was earmarked for the US Secret Service.

We had to settle for the blue steel 19. I bought mine forty years ago and it was my off-duty and undercover assignment piece until we went to self-loaders. We saw quite a bit of action together.

It retired when I did and now has a cushy job resting in a discreet location guarding one of the doors to my home.

BTW, it is sheer hell to shoot if you feed it .357 fighting ammo.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My vote would be for the 19 but I admit that I'm biased.

I hearken back to the days of Smiths with two digit model numbers, or NO model numbers. When I was a young cop the wheelgun that we all lusted after was the Model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. They were utterly impossible to acquire due to the fact that all of Smith's production was earmarked for the US Secret Service.

We had to settle for the blue steel 19. I bought mine forty years ago and it was my off-duty and undercover assignment piece until we went to self-loaders. We saw quite a bit of action together.

It retired when I did and now has a cushy job resting in a discreet location guarding one of the doors to my home.

Agreed. I don't load mine with .357 SD ammo-- just .38+P at the most. I think I have a couple of boxes of .357 hollowpoints for SHTF, but they won't be used unless, well, SHTF.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I learned this lesson the hard way when I acquired a Ruger Speed Six with the factory grips that expose the front and back straps. I loaded some peppy 158 gr SJHP loads and after I fired the first, I couldn't believe how much it hurt. So I fired a second to make sure. Still couldn't believe it, so I fired a third. I was convinced, and handed it to my buddy G so he could experience the pain too. He took it from me, casually ejected the three live rounds and three empty cases, and dropped six .38 spl rounds into it and fired it. All he said was, "Not my first rodeo."

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For what it's worth...

They are still making the 686....Classic model 19's? Not so much...I have a rule that if I have to get rid of a gun it's one I can still get...

IMHO...

Yeah, that was my rationale the first time I got rid of the 686, and then I was fortunate enough to get it back. Don't know if I can part with it again.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yeah, that was my rationale the first time I got rid of the 686, and then I was fortunate enough to get it back. Don't know if I can part with it again.

Well...Realize that quote is from a man who has only gotten rid of ONE 6 inch 686 (but it was for a K 22 variant!) and would NEVER give up his 686 four inch...(I didn't say I was consistent did I?) :)

Top Bottom