• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I carry a 9mm Sig P226 regularly, or when I'm on my motorcycle my 9mm XDm 3.8. I'm looking at getting something a tad smaller (but still 9mm) that will be a little easier to conceal for the few occasions that I need to (i.e. being in the hospital or family events where I simply don't feel like debating).

I'm partial to Sig, but I'm open to other **quality** manufacturers. Any suggestions?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Check out the new S&W shield. I, and many others, are all about it! Kahr also has some 'quality' 9mm options, pm9 and cm9.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Check out the new S&W shield. I, and many others, are all about it! Kahr also has some 'quality' 9mm options, pm9 and cm9.
    I've been thinking about the shield, but I would need a new trigger (or something). I almost bought an M&P 9mm Pro but I couldn't get past the hinged trigger. I've heard good things about Kahr but I don't know anything about them as a manufacturer or brand - i.e. I'm not sure if I could trust them with my life.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I've been thinking about the shield, but I would need a new trigger (or something). I almost bought an M&P 9mm Pro but I couldn't get past the hinged trigger. I've heard good things about Kahr but I don't know anything about them as a manufacturer or brand - i.e. I'm not sure if I could trust them with my life.

Springfield Armory is releasing a new gun similar to the Shield called the XDs. I have heard it will released in .45 ACP first with the 9 mm to follow soon after. Since you already own an XDm, you may be interested in this new model from Springfield.

Video review is here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik47FkVVa1g

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That does look nice, I'll have to find somebody in the Indy area with one so I can fondle it in person :). If you're ever in the Indy area drop me a PM. I'll let you shot a few through my p226 if you let me shoot some through your p239 :).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... looking at getting something a tad smaller (but still 9mm) that will be a little easier to conceal ...

A "tad smaller," and a "little" easier to conceal would be 1 step down in size like the P229 (same manual of arms as your P226), Glock 19 (even easier to conceal than the P229, slightly shorter and lighter than the SIG), etc.

The single stack 9s recommended thus far are 2 steps down in size (in my way of thinking anyway).

Maybe you need to go that small to get what you want, maybe not. Depends on your needs.

If you carry IWB the most important dimension when it comes to concealment is height and you don't necessarily need to go single stack to reduce height. Just sayin'.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I can conceal my 226 iwb pretty well, but something slightly smaller would be a little easier for me to conceal. I have thought about the 229 as well as the 938 [correct?] which is the new 9mm sig they just came out with.

I think grip thickness is probably my biggest issue as far as concealing.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    P938

If you can wait long enough for them to be released, and get your hands on one, looks like a promising idea. It looks to be almost tiny for a 9mm, its a sig, and it should have a pretty sweet single action trigger.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    From one Sig guy to another, have you checked out the new P224 yet? Essentially its a cut down P229. I havent seen one in person yet but it really has me interested. As soon as the SA/DA version is available I may have to get one. It can still use your P226 mags in a pinch as well. Atleast thats what Ive heard. Id love to check one out in person though.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    P938

If you can wait long enough for them to be released, and get your hands on one, looks like a promising idea. It looks to be almost tiny for a 9mm, its a sig, and it should have a pretty sweet single action trigger.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I just wish they had a dark version like the dark elite p226. Not a big fan of anything flashy/showy.

From one Sig guy to another, have you checked out the new P224 yet? Essentially its a cut down P229. I havent seen one in person yet but it really has me interested. As soon as the SA/DA version is available I may have to get one. It can still use your P226 mags in a pinch as well. Atleast thats what Ive heard. Id love to check one out in person though.
    Is that the one they were advertising last month where the ad showed a p226 with the tip/handle cut off?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A Sig 228 is a tad smaller and would allow you to use all the 226 mags at the range. A Sig 225 (P6) is a single stack with the same controls as the bigger Sigs and is a lot thinner. Either of these would work for ya. :twocents:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I don't know if you consider Ruger, but my LC9 can be carried ANYWHERE without being noticed. I say it is the ergonomics of the pistol. Last time I checked, it was unlawful to carry a fire arm into Hospitals. At least all the hospitals in my county. I do a lot of hospital calls. I'm not sure what the exact reasons are for it. Could be the O2 tanks ect.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't know if you consider Ruger, but my LC9 can be carried ANYWHERE without being noticed. I say it is the ergonomics of the pistol. Last time I checked, it was unlawful to carry a fire arm into Hospitals. At least all the hospitals in my county. I do a lot of hospital calls. I'm not sure what the exact reasons are for it. Could be the O2 tanks ect.
    Hospitals are not inherently illegal but my purpose is not to carry in hospitals. The goal is to be able to carry concealed without detection (be it a hospital, my house, or wherever).

sig 239, 938 , 224 ....
    I have seen the 938, I'll have to look at the 239. The 224 is definitely on my *must own* list.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I have the Bersa BP9CC its been plenty reliable and its super nice to carry. I forget I have it on sometimes. Cheap(ish) as well.

Top Bottom