• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It cracks me up when people seem to take it personally when the way they carry doesn't work for someone else. As long as they are carrying safely and responsibly, wtf does it matter?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    My waist is way more than 32, and I don't dance around in front of mirrors making sure I don't print. If your chest is bigger than your waist, appendix will hide a gun better than any other means. Even if your waist is bigger than your chest, appendix is still easier to conceal with. I like Fricke Holsters, but there are others that work, it's not a hardware problem, it's again, a software problem. Appendix carry, or hell, just carry, involves way more than a gun, holster, and belt. Clothing choice, be it material, cut, fabric, or print, makes a YUGE difference. There are self professed FAT GUYS on here that can manage AIWB, and I'll bet if you asked them, they will say it's easier to conceal in the appendix position. I'm not even delving into the FoF realm, that will prove that there is no faster, or better, way to carry your firearm. FoF classes cost me thousands in behind the hip holsters that had to be replaced after finding it was simply impossible to draw when someone is laying on top of you. As always, YMMV
    For the record, I DO dance in front of mirrors to make sure I don't print.
    I do pretty well, because I have told people I have carried for years and they say "I never had any idea."
    And I can see in the mirror that the butt of the pistol shows a lot more with appendix carry than it does at 3 or 4 o'clock.
    Your comments are noted though.
    I think part of my problem is my choice of guns.
    The butt of the ol' 1911 officers frame just shows.
    I will try putting the gun a little more off of center toward my weak hand and see what happens with that.
    I haven't tried that yet, actually, because no one does it in any of the appendix carry videos.
    My waist is 38 btw (working on 36 but that may take a while lol) so not the best, not the worst.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would like to carry appendix.
    I have tried it multiple times.
    N82 tactical holster.
    It just plain prints so much worse than 3 or 4 o clock that I keep going back to that.

Not only are people built different but our situations can be different as well. For ME, appendix is the only good way I can carry at work. Leaning inside of machines and doing a lot of bending over leaves behind the hip carry way too exposed. It really works out well in my situation as I get an accessible firearm that is well concealed and I don't have to worry as much about anyone spotting it. (Or grabbing it). I could see where some people would have completely different needs or priorities.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It cracks me up when people seem to take it personally when the way they carry doesn't work for someone else. As long as they are carrying safely and responsibly, wtf does it matter?

Agreed. I think maybe sometimes we appendix carriers can tend to be a bit too evangelistic. Maybe it is because of all the persecution we suffer.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Not only are people built different but our situations can be different as well. For ME, appendix is the only good way I can carry at work. Leaning inside of machines and doing a lot of bending over leaves behind the hip carry way too exposed. It really works out well in my situation as I get an accessible firearm that is well concealed and I don't have to worry as much about anyone spotting it. (Or grabbing it). I could see where some people would have completely different needs or priorities.

I went thru a similar test bed where I had to determine what could be carried daily and concealed (there's a thread just for OC vs CC). I have a mess of young ones and my job required sitting to standing often. Appendix was the only way I could make it happen. I also went thru several different guns and holsters to find what worked. At each career path, though, I've found that requirements and allowances changed and so did my carry piece

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not necessarily. I've got a 32 waist, and I find the butt of my pistol hangs out past my obliques. In a 4:30-ish carry, the butt hangs in toward the small of my back. I would like to try a Dale Fricke, but as of yet, I can't come close with appendix carry. And I've done a lot of experimenting and moving around in front of mirrors.

Not all body types are the same. That's why different products work for different people.

Heck, some of us are different on either side of our body. I can conceal much better at 11:30 than I can at 12:30.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    How many documented cases of junk shootings due to appendix carry (while using an actual holster) can we cite?
    None that I've heard of. However, I'm sure either the resident INGO LEOs or Kirk Freeman could cite some. Honestly, my gun points at my femoral artery instead of my junk. That's probably worse. But with a hammer fired DA/SA gun with a firing pin block and a proper holster I'm not too worried.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think one of the established training organizations had an appendix carry student shoot themselves. That started a kerfuffle, with other folks like Larry Vickers saying he wouldn't allow students to train that way.

Larry Vickers: No Self-Neutering In My Classes, Guys

Heads up for anyone attending a pistol class taught be me – I am banning use of appendix carry holsters in my classes

I know of two different students in two different classes taught by two different instructors who have shot themselves reholstering – I don’t want my name added to that list

If an individual wants to carry concealed that way that is fine by me but an open enrollment class with 15-20 different skill level shooters and upwards of 100 draws and reholsters is an accident waiting to happen when you add in a pistol like a Glock or M&P...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I think one of the established training organizations had an appendix carry student shoot themselves. That started a kerfuffle, with other folks like Larry Vickers saying he wouldn't allow students to train that way.

Larry Vickers: No Self-Neutering In My Classes, Guys

Heads up for anyone attending a pistol class taught be me – I am banning use of appendix carry holsters in my classes

I know of two different students in two different classes taught by two different instructors who have shot themselves reholstering – I don’t want my name added to that list

If an individual wants to carry concealed that way that is fine by me but an open enrollment class with 15-20 different skill level shooters and upwards of 100 draws and reholsters is an accident waiting to happen when you add in a pistol like a Glock or M&P...
    More and more it seems that instructors are doing this. From a business perspective it makes total sense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I know people who have shot themselves when holstering in the appendix position, but Jackson specifically said "junk shootings." One I know who did it doesn't have junk to shoot.

The stakes are high whenever you holster a loaded gun. Regardless of where you put your holster, if you feel unusual resistance when reholstering, STOP. There's probably something caught in the holster with your gun, so don't keep pushing. Reverse directions and check the holster to make sure it's clear, then try again.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've heard of a few people shooting themselves while reholstering on the hip too. Seems that reholstering is the dangerous part. Holster position changes the stakes, not the odds.

Top Bottom