A lot of flakes in the classified section. People back out like crazy!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I read through page 6 so far, and I figured as long as there's some whining about the classifieds, I might as well whine too.

Can someone explain this thing to me?

"For sale: Gun A. $400 cash. Will trade for gun B. Trade value $500."

WITAF is that about? So if you were to sell gun A for $400 cash, and wanted to buy gun B which has a fair market value of $500, would you expect to get it for $400?

It really makes no sense to me. Fair market value is fair market value. Cash price is the same as trade price. Why would it be any different?
    LOL, that's my point. Why would I trade a $500 gun for a $400 gun? You want my $500 gun, you're going to have to trade me your $400 gun and give me $100 cash. I don't get why someone would expect their gun to have a higher trade value than cash value.

Meh, people are people. They are just thinking out loud in type.

It's not a lot different than those that are justifying their asking price by telling you "what these are selling for," on gunbroker or armslist or a website. "These are hard to find." "Rare."

It's also similar to the "threats"...
    "I don't have to sell this."
    "Lowballers will be ignored."
    "Last bump, before going back in the safe."

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Meh, people are people. They are just thinking out loud in type.

It's not a lot different than those that are justifying their asking price by telling you "what these are selling for," on gunbroker or armslist or a website. "These are hard to find." "Rare."

It's also similar to the "threats"...
    "I don't have to sell this."
    "Lowballers will be ignored."
    "Last bump, before going back in the safe."
    Even funnier is when they actually apologize in parentheses after the price

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    LOL, that's my point. Why would I trade a $500 gun for a $400 gun? You want my $500 gun, you're going to have to trade me your $400 gun and give me $100 cash. I don't get why someone would expect their gun to have a higher trade value than cash value.
    I have never really understood this either. I really don't like trading, although I have. To me the value of an item is the same whether it's cash or trade.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I read through page 6 so far, and I figured as long as there's some whining about the classifieds, I might as well whine too.

Can someone explain this thing to me?

"For sale: Gun A. $400 cash. Will trade for gun B. Trade value $500."

WITAF is that about? So if you were to sell gun A for $400 cash, and wanted to buy gun B which has a fair market value of $500, would you expect to get it for $400?

It really makes no sense to me. Fair market value is fair market value. Cash price is the same as trade price. Why would it be any different?
    Exactly! I always laugh at those ads.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always understood what they were doing, they wanted to up the trade value to counter the people that were overpricing their gun, that they would have likely negotiated down if they paid cash for it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Like lower it to "prison wife" levels if you plan to find love in this sausagefest. LOL
    Hey, I've been drunk before but not drunk enough to hook up with one of you mugs. I'd marry me a blow-up doll before that would ever happen.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Hey, I've been drunk before but not drunk enough to hook up with one of you mugs. I'd marry me a blow-up doll before that would ever happen.
    I don't know, look at the pics from the FW group. There's some good looking fellas around here :D
    Just kidding, not really. There were some good looking waitresses though.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know, look at the pics from the FW group. There's some good looking fellas around here :D
    Just kidding, not really. There were some good looking waitresses though.
    Don't try to tempt me with your FW group pics. I won't look.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Oh, and another thing- "feeler" threads. Why are these allowed here? Aren't they just like auctions too?

"WTS: Remingwesson model 3. Not sure I want to sell. Just gauging interest. Price: $500 above fair market value or make offer".

Look, are you going to sell at a reasonable price or not? Are you even really going to sell it at all?
    Several interesting concepts that I see fairly often. I'm always leery of the "I'll take a partial trade" ads although I think some are sincere. It's simply running a covert auction within the rules. If you ask for a cash price on the item you may get an unusually high response with hopes of a counter offer.

I will take a partial trade of some obscure item that is worth $300 on a $1500 item in a WTT/WTS ad.

It's ingenious on the seller's part as well as assuming those you are dealing with will ask for the cash price. Best just to ignore such foolishness

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Agreed. Not sure why people keep lying about this one. :cool:
    Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob ... **SIGH** ... you're living in a fantasy world. There's nothing wrong with living in a fantasy world ... it is what it is. Maybe a result of smoking too many tires? Were the tires a gateway to harder things that caused you to lose your way?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haven’t seen a listing like this but yeah, it should be tit for tat IMO. I have made a few trade/sell offers but it always ended up in a straight sale.

I have done an even trade though before.

As far as putting out feelers, I’m okay with that but keep it out of the classifieds and include it in a thread that is related.

That said I know what I have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, and another thing- "feeler" threads. Why are these allowed here? Aren't they just like auctions too?

"WTS: Remingwesson model 3. Not sure I want to sell. Just gauging interest. Price: $500 above fair market value or make offer".

Look, are you going to sell at a reasonable price or not? Are you even really going to sell it at all?
    Ok. In all fairness there are 3 active mods in this forum. There are more but :dunno: so if you guys think we can as volunteer staff read every post in the forum especially the classifieds then you might want to try it sometime. It’s just not possible. And I have had members argue with me about this.
    There is a report button at the bottom of every post that if you think it’s off the mark then report it. That obligates us to have a look. If an ad is outside the lines we will deal with it.
    People come up with any and all sorts of ways to sell their junk and hope to make money on it. We can’t catch them all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom