• Poll closed .

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    The speed limit includes all the lanes.

I have good insurance on my vheicles and as long as my family isnt with me I brake check very hard. Cop or not thats crap and asking for a problem. I would have laughed if the cop rearended him.

One of the great things about semi's is I cans slow down at a decent rate without my brake lights ever coming on. I used my engine brake on a cop who was doing that to me on 31 once. He pulled up beside me and told me I was number one.

So, are you suggesting that you hang out in the left lane merely because the speed limit applies to all lanes?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The speed limit includes all the lanes.

I have good insurance on my vheicles and as long as my family isnt with me I brake check very hard. Cop or not thats crap and asking for a problem. I would have laughed if the cop rearended him.

One of the great things about semi's is I cans slow down at a decent rate without my brake lights ever coming on. I used my engine brake on a cop who was doing that to me on 31 once. He pulled up beside me and told me I was number one.

As I said, there are two kinds of people who hang out in the left lane with cars stacking up behind them.

You sir, appear to be a vigilante.

Why not just move over and let the people behind you go around?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I lived up by Detroit for a while back in the late 80's. I was one of 300,000 people headed in the same direction at the same time twice/day. EVERYBODY thought that they were driving fast enough to be in the PASSING lane. It was a nightmare.

Of course, in Detroit one needs to be so very judicious when flying the "one digit salute" while dealing with those who are "commuterly challenged." Found that out the hard way... Nother story, nother day. HA!

When I was transferred from the Pontiac, MI area down to the Evansville, IN area, it was quite different I tell you. Culture shock on multiple levels.

One time, my friends from MI drove down to spend Memorial Weekend with me in Southern IN. They were pulled over along the way by a State Trooper for "spending too much time in the passing lane" and my Michigan friend couldn't comprehend what the issue was. I "everso politely" told her that the left lane is for PASSING--Oh OHHHHHH!!! <does his best Sam Kinison>

Some folk just don't get it.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I lived up by Detroit for a while back in the late 80's. I was one of 300,000 people headed in the same direction at the same time twice/day. EVERYBODY thought that they were driving fast enough to be in the PASSING lane. It was a nightmare.

When you have those kind of high traffic situations the "stay out of the left lane" rule kind of goes by the wayside. You can't drive 80 if everyone else is driving 60. Tailgating the person in front of you when you know they can't go faster than the car in front of them is extremely dangerous and is a brake tap away from causing a large traffic jam.

Also, there are situations where a drivers must be in the left lanes, such as an exit or an interstate split. These things happen. And during rush hour you can't pull things like that police officer did unless you want to cause a large traffic jam. The video below shows how easy it is to start a traffic shockwave. One car gets too close to the car in front of them, brakes, the car behind also has to brake, the car behind them has to brake, and it goes on and on until you have cars stopping in the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

I wouldn't mind having changing speed limits on roads that are consistently congested such as 65N into Indy or 69 that would slow drivers down in order to allow the shockwave ahead to end. So much gas and time wasted because we don't slow down to add space.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    No. The driver is left not knowing what they were doing wrong. Instead they were scared, attempted to pull over, and got punked. The enforcer got a laugh, the citizen learned nothing about adjusting his/her driving habits to make the roads safer for all.

Yes. The left is the passing lane. The driver was not passing anyone. After the police officer KINDLY guided the car to the far right lane (non passing lane) the driver should understand where the should drive now.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    When you have those kind of high traffic situations the "stay out of the left lane" rule kind of goes by the wayside. You can't drive 80 if everyone else is driving 60. Tailgating the person in front of you when you know they can't go faster than the car in front of them is extremely dangerous and is a brake tap away from causing a large traffic jam.

Also, there are situations where a drivers must be in the left lanes, such as an exit or an interstate split. These things happen. And during rush hour you can't pull things like that police officer did unless you want to cause a large traffic jam. The video below shows how easy it is to start a traffic shockwave. One car gets too close to the car in front of them, brakes, the car behind also has to brake, the car behind them has to brake, and it goes on and on until you have cars stopping in the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

I wouldn't mind having changing speed limits on roads that are consistently congested such as 65N into Indy or 69 that would slow drivers down in order to allow the shockwave ahead to end. So much gas and time wasted because we don't slow down to add space.

Gosh thanks! In all my 34 years of driving I guess I didn't get that part. :D

Seriously, with 6 or more lanes of traffic, if folk that are driving slower in the left lanes than others to the right--they need to get out of the way. In the case of merging or exiting to the left, one does not need to camp out in the PASSING lane for 5 miles before the exit.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    "Brake-checking" is ignorant in ANY situation. End of story. I am right about this. There will be NO argument. If you do it, and you die in the resultant crash, I urinate on your grave site and laugh maniacally as I do it.

Driving is not a video game. You are not awarded points for the number of folks you dick over.

Did I ever tell you all about how much I loathe Ohio and Ohioans?

Without a doubt the worst drivers I have EVER experienced. Bar none.

Last week on I-70 getting near Columbus there was a temporary construction zone with the two right lanes of the three closing.

I've already moved over to the middle lane, and I let a few 4-wheelers by me. The middle lane is closing about 1/4 mile ahead.

I see a car in the far left lane about 1/4 mile behind me.

I need to get over one more lane left, so I flip on my blinker and begin to move left.

The a-hole behind me in the far left lane floors it when he sees my signal. I'm running outta room. My lane is ending.

A-hole accelerates more. I'm damn near halfway over to the far left lane and he speeds up until he's right beside me.

Did I mention I was in my tractor-trailer? And that it was raining? No? I didn't think so.

I have to slam on my brakes at 60mph to avoid hitting this cretin, and the trailer started going sideways. I saved the trailer, and a-hole gets past me.

I gave him a celebratory blast of the air-horn in recognition of his stellar driving prowess...and then...at near highway speeds...a-hole BRAKE CHECKS me!

I had to slam on the brakes AGAIN, and the trailer tried to do the stupid dance on me...but I saved it. Again.

A few minutes later, I arrived safely at my next delivery stop. I set the brakes and shut it off, and I just kinda collapsed in the seat and heaved a big sigh.

If only I had a rocket launcher....

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    As I said, there are two kinds of people who hang out in the left lane with cars stacking up behind them.

You sir, appear to be a vigilante.

Why not just move over and let the people behind you go around?

I don't hang out in the left lane. But until they put signs up saying slower traffic use right lanes it doesnt matter what lane your in as long as you can do the minimum speed limit. Its just as easy for the other person to move over to the other lane.

This wasnt directed at you. I don't actually remember reading your post. No im not a vigilante.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't hang out in the left lane. But until they put signs up saying slower traffic use right lanes it doesnt matter what lane your in as long as you can do the minimum speed limit. Its just as easy for the other person to move over to the other lane.

This wasnt directed at you. I don't actually remember reading your post. No im not a vigilante.

It's more than just an issue of the law, or signs. Passing on the right is an inherently dangerous manuever. Why not just move over so people don't pass you on the right and endanger other drivers?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's more than just an issue of the law, or signs. Passing on the right is an inherently dangerous manuever. Why not just move over so people don't pass you on the right and endanger other drivers?

I pay taxes on that left lane too! Therefore it's my camping grounds.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky

No...but you are incredibly dense.

"Slower traffic keep right, keep right except to pass"- these are basic tenets of driving rules, not to mention common courtesy.

Better read up on your driving manual.

Don't be a bell-end. :noway:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

A basic rule of the road (and basic common sense) is slower traffic moves right and keep right unless passing.

It's folks who think they can just camp out in the outside lane for as long as they want that slow interstates down to a crawl and cause accidents.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    US 33 between Elkhart and Goshen, always has a bunch of illegals that will get in the left lane and drive 40-45. I have tried tailgating them, flashing lights, etc. But that just makes them grip their steering wheel and slow down. I don't think they have a clue they are doing anything wrong. So you are stuck trying to dart in and out of traffic in an unsafe manner in an attempt to get around them.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    guys it's against the law to drive in the left lane unless passing.

IC 9-21-8-2
    Roadways; use of right half; exceptions; traveling at reduced speeds
    Sec. 2. (a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing overtaking and passing.
    (2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under construction or repair.
    (3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable to a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes.
    (4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.
    (b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
    (1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic; or
    (2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway;
    except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The tailgaiting was dangerous and uncalled for...he should have pulled the driver over and issued him/her a ticket...

Heck with that. If he pulled the person over, he should give him/her a tazing that would be remembered. These are the people that cause road rage. How many shootings have occurred due to road rage. So in essence any of you not for the cop doing what he did, you are promoting the killing of innocent people on the highways. How dare you?

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Looks the the LEO was in a hurry to get to Taco Bell to me. I would have brake checked for sure. He was being dangerous. Can anyone show me in an Indiana driving manual where it says you are allowed to speed in the right lane? There is no such thing as a "fast" lane. The speed limit applies to all lanes. You pass on the right... :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Looks the the LEO was in a hurry to get to Taco Bell to me. I would have brake checked for sure. He was being dangerous. Can anyone show me in an Indiana driving manual where it says you are allowed to speed in the right lane? There is no such thing as a "fast" lane. The speed limit applies to all lanes. You pass on the right... :twocents:

As I said upthread:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County

If you closely watched the video. There was no room to the right. And my friend dross is very correct that it is a dangerous manuver. In my opinion, both were in the wrong. The cop for tailgating and the idiot for camping in the passing lane. Blatant display of gross stupidity on multiple levels. :twocents::twocents:

Top Bottom