• ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Negligent Discharge

I had my first Negligent Discharge today. It was with my Glock 17 too. I never keep my Glock in Condition 1 because there is no easy way to tell if there is a round in the chamber.

However, the pistol was in Condition 1 and unless the cats have learned to rack a slide, I am the idiot who did it. The loaded chamber indicator is not the best and IMO is not easy to read. The trigger can only tell you that the gun is cocked.

Fellow members, please be careful when handling any firearm. The magazine was removed, but I did not rack the slide and check the barrel as I should have. Remember I "never" keep my Glocks in Condition 1. It can happen to the best of us.

I thank God that no one was hurt, but I sure scared the cats. I always point the gun in a safe direction when I pull the trigger on any fire arm and in my home, that is out the window and into the trees. So I have a window glass and screen to replace. I am greatful I practiced that safety precaution. There are no do-overs with ND.

I hope this confession keeps you a little bit safer.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

ps: Yes, I know I need to listen to myself.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Press and check.

Just rack the slide just enough to push the tip of your trigger finger into the slide. The tip of your finger will be able to feel if there's a loaded round chambered.

Get in the habit of doing it enough, you'll be able to perform this technique in the dark, or with your eyes closed.

Press and check.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A gun is ALWAYS loaded, so you dont have to know if there is a round in the chamber or not.
    You always assume that there is one even if you just checked to make sure it's empty.
    Glad you are not hurt.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I rack the slide 3 or 4 times before pulling it, even after seeing its empty. Just having myself in this habit is something Im used to, and I dont see a problem with a couple extra seconds of safety.

Glad everyone is ok. Now call Bee Windows!

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I rack the slide 3 or 4 times before pulling it, even after seeing its empty. Just having myself in this habit is something Im used to, and I dont see a problem with a couple extra seconds of safety.

I do the same thing with every gun!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Yep I do the same, some people think it's silly but I never had a ND. :dunno:

I also look into the chamber after I racked the slide a few time and locked it open.
    If there is not enough light I either put my pinky in there or use a flashlight.

There is no rush when you want to make sure a gun is unloaded before cleaning it or storing it, or whatever. :yesway:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Glad all is well, but I would never dream of dry firing a gun without checking the chamber. That's a big no-no whether you think it's empty or not. Glad it was in a safe (no irreparable harm) direction. I check the chamber again if I even set the gun down before dryfiring. I'm lazy... I don't want to repair my house. Haha. Glad you got a mulligan.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    so you don't carry your glock with a round in the chamber???
    Glorified paperweight to me... there is an easy way to check just pull back on the slide a little bit and you will be able to see the casing as the extractor grabs it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also I would suggest the OP to get a REAL "safe direction" when he pulls the trigger of his guns.
    If the bullet went through a window I dont call it a self direction, im sorry.
    You have many things you can use to make sure that the direction is really safe and will stop a round if you have a ND.
    Sand barrel, old kevlar vest, a few phone books etc ...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Glorified paperweight to me... there is an easy way to check just pull back on the slide a little bit and you will be able to see the casing as the extractor grabs it.

Yes I carry with one in the pipe. I was referring to when I first got it and was taking it down for cleaning. Was always paranoid something would go wrong (it was my first handgun).. So I would check it repeatedly before the "Dry fire."

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If so still his choice. If that's how he trains and is comfortable. It's a good start until someone is comfortable carrying and some continue to carry like that. Train, train, train.

Also, it takes a big person to step up and admit to something as negligent as this. Props to the OP and as long as he learns from this and noone was hurt then it is a plus. I'd almost bet that some habits will be changing from this.

OP, thanks for sharing and reminding us all. Safety first.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Also I would suggest the OP to get a REAL "safe direction" when he pulls the trigger of his guns.
    If the bullet went through a window I dont call it a self direction, im sorry.
    You have many things you can use to make sure that the direction is really safe and will stop a round if you have a ND.
    Sand barrel, old kevlar vest, a few phone books etc ...

Yes, window ... not safe. Takes one second or less for the electric meter
    reader to pass by a window. Then Pow! ... you've got a big hole to dig, a
    mess to clean up and a truck to get rid of.

Top Bottom