• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I agree with the others that have said it that it takes a big man to post this up on here and good on you for doing so. Im sure you will remember this for.....oh ....about......FOREVER. Glad no one was hurt and just a little pride and glass was broken and nothing more. Not to start too much of a holy war but this is the reason i dont buy pistols with out a external hammer. Always check the chamber (as has been stated) and stay safe guys....because if you go killing your self it looks bad on the rest of us!:D

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    First of all, Thank God you and everyone else is okay!
    I don't think I'm stretching it at all to guess that you will re-live that incident over and over and over...never forgetting it. Sometimes we are handed an opportunity to learn that doesn't hurt too much. Those are the ones we should embrace!!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    VN Vet is a 62 y/o veteran of the Vietnam conflict, he was handling guns safely in bad situations before many of you were a gleam in you Daddy's eye. Yet when he posts about an accidental Discharge in order to remind us all of proper safe handling everyone tells him how to correct the problem.
    I can assure you all that the man knows the 4 safety rules and lives by safe handling, try respecting his honesty and willingness to share his mistake with all of us for the good of all who read this forum.
    :twocents:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    VN Vet is a 62 y/o veteran of the Vietnam conflict, he was handling guns safely in bad situations before many of you were a gleam in you Daddy's eye. Yet when he posts about an accidental Discharge in order to remind us all of proper safe handling everyone tells him how to correct the problem.
    I can assure you all that the man knows the 4 safety rules and lives by safe handling, try respecting his honesty and willingness to share his mistake with all of us for the good of all who read this forum.
    :twocents:

I can accept most but not everything that you said. I agree that people make mistakes in everything in life. Guns are one of those things that often you don't get a chance to tell people about your mistake, so that they don't assume incorrectly and have it happen to them.

I think that just as the OP posted it honestly to help others, others are also adding the same reminders for the same reason. I think that telling someone that the window is not a safe direction - is good, very helpful advice. The window, in spite of your statement that he knows the four rules and lives by them, is breaking those rules. So it only makes sense that people on a gun forum point that out.

I think that most people have been respectful with their advice but there will always be those that are not.

Last edited:

digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Good story, good lesson! I've clipped a few things from this thread for constant reminder (4 Rules image, the Gun Safety video, and the picture of the sand barrel).

Many thanks!

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    VN Vet, I too have been there and done that. Both VN and ND. Been handling weapons for over 50 years. Had my ND on the range a couple of years ago while running a USPSA type stage. Shot the backstop while running between targets. Twice! Scared the hell out of me. :eek:

Since then I have become double diligent, to the point some might think I over do it. Personally I don't care what they think of the safety idiot.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You know, all this talk of ND/AD got me thinking. I've got three or four bags of sand that I don't know what to do with. I think I'll fill up a bucket and keep it by my gun cabinet. Because, being in the city, there is no safe direction for me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You know, all this talk of ND/AD got me thinking. I've got three or four bags of sand that I don't know what to do with. I think I'll fill up a bucket and keep it by my gun cabinet. Because, being in the city, there is no safe direction for me.

:yesway:

Yep those thin dry walls and windows wont stop a bullet.
    Kirk would be proud! :D

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    Hope you don't find someone in the woods. At least you'll always remember, "A gun is always loaded". I check my Glock 23 at least 3 times after I unload it. It is always in "Condition 1". Otherwise it's just a plastic hammer.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hope you don't find someone in the woods. At least you'll always remember, "A gun is always loaded". I check my Glock 23 at least 3 times after I unload it. It is always in "Condition 1". Otherwise it's just a plastic hammer.

I didn't hit anyone unless they were 30 feet up in the trees. I'm sure I would have heard them fall if I did hit someone. I do thank God that I didn't. I think the big Sycamore tree out my window got hit. Does Sasquatch live in Sycamore trees? :>)

I remember this incident for long long.......long........long time.

Safe shooting,
    Vv

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    ...I find it ironic that the thing the OP did to make himself feel comfortable (not keeping his Glock in condition 1), helped lead to him pressing the trigger on his gun without checking its condition. Looks like he felt comfortable pressing the trigger on his Glock without checking its condition because he "knew" he never kept his Glocks in condition 1.

Exactly..."Empty" guns are the most dangerous.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It can happen in the best of families. Glad my wife wasn't home at the time. But it did cost me a new television and some dry-wall repair. Lesson learned - big time! :n00b:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Always keep your guns loaded with one in the tube...

This teaches you the kind of respect for the firearm you need to maintain to safely handle one. If you are uncomfortable with having one in the chamber, then why are you suddenly comfortable without one in the chamber?

A firearm is to be treated as a loaded weapon at ALL times. This "I'm cool with carrying a gun but can't get comfortable with one in the chamber" mindset will always lead to accidents like this, it's just a matter of time.

Top Bottom