• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    My 18-year-old younger sister has expressed interest to me that she would like to start carrying a pistol for self-defense, and is looking for advice on how to get started.

The most important advice I had to give was to go with something that she will train with regularly and carry consistently.

Well, of course the next two questions are, how to find the right pistol that will be comfortable to shoot and carry for her, and secondly, how to buy a pistol as someone younger than 21.

So firstly, the practical aspects. She is about 5' 6" and of a pretty slight build. One of my other siblings let her try his EDC, which is a Taurus G2C in an urban carry IWB appendix holster, and her conclusion was that it is "definitely too big." So she'd be looking for something really small. Should I tell her to consider a pocket gun (not for literal pocket carry, of course, I'm talking a "pocket-sized" pistol in a quality holster) or should she steer clear of something that small because of poor sights? Most importantly, I guess, can you recommend any good, local gun shop reasonably close to Bloomington where they let you try out different pistol/holster combinations? Ideally, it'd be great if there was a place with an indoor range and some sort of "fitting room" where you could shoot a pistol, try out different holsters, and different positions for concealed carry, all under the same roof. I've not really been to many brick-and-mortar gun shops, though, so I don't know if such a thing really exists.

And secondly, the legal aspects. Obviously she can't buy a handgun through an FFL yet, so how should she approach purchasing one? Would it be best to find a handgun model she likes, and then try to look around on armslist or somewhere for an individual selling that model? Can someone else over 21 purchase that handgun model, and remain the legal owner of it, but let her "borrow" (essentially keep it) for daily carry and practice? Or would that be asking to get charged with making a straw purchase?

And of course, how are gun shops going to view this sort of thing? If I take her to a gun store, and tell them we want to look around at pistols, but she can't actually purchase one yet, are they likely to tell us to get lost? Or are there any places you guys can recommend that would be cool with her looking around and trying things out even knowing that she can't buy anything from them, and will have to look around for a private sale?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    First, ensure she understands the safety basics, and the legal requirements and ramifications of carrying. Guy Relford's Essentials of Indiana gun law is recommended.

Second, take her to a range with a good selection of rental guns and let her try them out over multiple visits.

She may change her mind on any number of things, so worry about procurement after she has made an informed decision on the practice of carrying and the legal aspects of doing so.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    When my daughter was your sister's age, she got her LTCH. She initially had me buy her a Taurus TP380. She wanted it because it had purple grips and she thought she needed a "small" pistol. We were out shooting one day. I had brought along my Remington R1S. My daughter wanted to try it. She could hit better with it than with her 380. I explained that bigger guns are easier to shoot.
    She took a ladies-only NRA Basic Pistol class with my Remington. The instructor(a good friend of mine)thanked me for letting my daughter use my 1911. He used her as an example that women aren't restricted to just little guns. I believe all the ladies in the class took turns shooting my 1911.

You could buy a pistol, then decide you don't really want it and sell it to your sister. When my daughter was in college, I let her take my SIG P250 with her. As long as a person "legally possesses" the pistol, I believe all is well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks!

Any recommendations close to Bloomington? It seems like it's really hard to find good gun shops in this area for some reason.
    And they reason is it’s all of the leftists.

I can guarantee nobody wants to build on new land out there due to all the eco-Nazis. My company built out by the post office and we had to pay tens of thousands of dollars for every tree we cut down.

And I’m sure the zoning boards wouldn’t want all those evil guns in town.

Parabellum in Avon has a good selection on the rental wall and you can switch out guns however many times you want in your hour of time. The only catch is you must buy their ammo.

I’ll second the training. That is incredibly important for someone who has never carried or even owned a gun before.

And you can purchase a gun with your money and gift it to her. It will be your gun when you walk out of the store, so do not put down on the 4473 that you are buying it for someone else. You were buying it for yourself to gift to someone else. That is totally different and legal. She cannot, however, give you money for you to go buy it. That would make it a straw purchase.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    P365, hellcat, and Shield plus. If she's recoil sensitive she'll need at least a sub compact or go to 32acp.
    I don't think she's concerned about recoil; she's fired a 9mm pistol and didn't mind it at all. I think she'd only want to go with a smaller caliber if that was the best way to get something small enough to carry comfortably.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington

I can guarantee nobody wants to build on new land out there due to all the eco-Nazis. My company built out by the post office and we had to pay tens of thousands of dollars for every tree we cut down.

Parabellum in Avon has a good selection on the rental wall and you can switch out guns however many times you want in your hour of time. The only catch is you must buy their ammo.

I’ll second the training. That is incredibly important for someone who has never carried or even owned a gun before.

And you can purchase a gun with your money and gift it to her. It will be your gun when you walk out of the store, so do not put down on the 4473 that you are buying it for someone else. You were buying it for yourself to gift to someone else. That is totally different and legal. She cannot, however, give you money for you to go buy it. That would make it a straw purchase.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check out Parabellum.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

This ^^^

My :twocents:, don’t let her limit pistols she tries to subcompacts, make her try a little larger pistol even of she is sure its too big to carry. I helped my buddy find a pistol for his wife and she kept insisting many compacts were too big. Then she would pick up a subcompact/pocket pistol and it hurt to shoot, was too snappy and she could not hit the broadside of a barn with it. Ended up settling on a G19.

If you have to, lend her something you own thats a compact size and have her take a class with it. Once she has a little experience handling a bit larger pistol then is the time to see if she wants to carry something smaller or a smaller caliber. In my mind anything smaller than 380 (and that is surely a borderline caliber for self defense) is not worth carrying, however, first rule of gunfighting is to bring a gun, any gun. YMMV and I am sure others have differing opinions.

Good luck!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't think she's concerned about recoil; she's fired a 9mm pistol and didn't mind it at all. I think she'd only want to go with a smaller caliber if that was the best way to get something small enough to carry comfortably.
    The max9 is pretty small so is the Shield plus.
    If she needs smaller the LCP max is still 380acp and it's basically the same size as the LCP.

The smaller the handgun the more felt recoil.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Just discovered another option that I might recommend her to consider. Proteq range in Brazil is a place a go fairly often, and I like how they operate. I just checked their website, and noticed their "Test Fire Opportunity" class. Seems like it might be just what she's looking for, plus I know I've met Don out there several times and he seems like an outstanding, no-nonsense individual. Never taken a class there myself yet, though, so I'm not really familiar with who they get to run their classes; anyone have any experience with that?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Just discovered another option that I might recommend her to consider. Proteq range in Brazil is a place a go fairly often, and I like how they operate. I just checked their website, and noticed their "Test Fire Opportunity" class. Seems like it might be just what she's looking for, plus I know I've met Don out there several times and he seems like an outstanding, no-nonsense individual. Never taken a class there myself yet, though, so I'm not really familiar with who they get to run their classes; anyone have any experience with that?
    Don is a good guy, and an effective instructor. He once gave me 5 minutes of impromptu instruction about 6 years ago and markedly improved my shooting.

If you go to ProTeq, I would consider that a top option.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I applaud her for wanting to take control of her own safety. I think back to when I was 18 and I would have just hurt myself if I was armed...lol. Has she tried a regular G43? Her small hands might make that a perfect fit. I'm still a huge advocate of the .38 snubbie family. Stupid reliability, easy to conceal, lightweight. .38 practice ammo (or even wadcutters) doesn't recoil too bad and not too expensive. I truly love my S&W 642 with Apex springs and polished trigger. My 642 is my back-up while in uniform and my G43X is my off-duty carry. Great guns. But more time/training needs to be directed to the legal aspects of self protection. Attending classes like Guy's would be well worth the time/money. Become very familiar with IC 35-41-3-2. Then studying deadly force incidents and familiarizing her mind to the realities of taking a life. I know plenty of people who own guns for self protection but ASSUME taking a life is as easy as pulling the trigger, without hesitation. In reality, it is not. The human psyche is not comfortable with that. It defaults to NOT killing someone, justified or not. It requires mental training to overcome this.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Try out the Ruger max9 it's smaller and has higher capacity.

If you buy it as a gift I believe that is still legal.
    Can't 18yo still get carry permits and legal to carry a handgun in Indiana even before constitutional carry?
    It is legal to gift a firearm to someone in immediate family. Having said that, I would recommend giving her the cash (at home, not at the store) and having her fill out the 4473 under her own name. Not that I suspect the future would bring any issues, but if she upgrades via a private sale and it ends up in the wrong hands, YOU might be the one getting the visit from the powers that be.

EDIT: I was addressing the gifting issue, I forgot she was underage. Correction noted.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It is legal to gift a firearm to someone in immediate family. Having said that, I would recommend giving her the cash (at home, not at the store) and having her fill out the 4473 under her own name. Not that I suspect the future would bring any issues, but if she upgrades via a private sale and it ends up in the wrong hands, YOU might be the one getting the visit from the powers that be.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    She is not old enough to purchase from an FFL. That is the basic issue here.

Top Bottom