• ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For handguns to look at in the B-town area here are a few options:
    Rural King out by Sam's Club.
    U.S. Defense Solutions has a shop in Richland.
    A bit south of town, is American Arms (shop and range).

Of course, at 18, FFLs are just for a looksee. She'll have to find something available via private sale.

It seems the women in my life gravitate toward smaller guns to go with their clothing and lifestyle. Problem is the laws of physics can't be violated. Tiny guns in .380 acp, like the LCP for example, tend to recoil more than one might think. Which is why said women also prefer a mid-size handgun at the range.

Going just a tad larger makes a big difference. Have her take a good close look at the Glock 42. It's a softish shooter and may be small enough for her needs.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    For handguns to look at in the B-town area here are a few options:
    Rural King out by Sam's Club.
    U.S. Defense Solutions has a shop in Richland.
    A bit south of town, is American Arms (shop and range).

Of course, at 18, FFLs are just for a looksee. She'll have to find something available via private sale.

It seems the women in my life gravitate toward smaller guns to go with their clothing and lifestyle. Problem is the laws of physics can't be violated. Tiny guns in .380 acp, like the LCP for example, tend to recoil more than one might think. Which is why said women also prefer a mid-size handgun at the range.

Going just a tad larger makes a big difference. Have her take a good close look at the Glock 42. It's a softish shooter and may be small enough for her needs.
    Thanks for the suggestions! Rural King and USDS would be great for looking around, but we're hoping to find somewhere she can also shoot different models. I've had some not-so-great experience with American Arms, so I tend to steer people away from them.

I got to chat with her this afternoon, and we're thinking we'll call around and find a range that can let her try out a good selection of different options suggested here, like the G42, G43, Ruger Max9, and also some 38 special or other small revolvers, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for Proteq for training and their test fire.

I’ve trained under Stephen, and also had done impromptu instructing from Don. (As well as extensive conversations with both. )

I am a member out there, have been for years, and can’t recommend them enough.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You should do her the favor of sending her to training first, then later decide on the pistol.

Send her to training with your pistol and ask the instructor to bring theirs and a sample or two more. Send a fair amount of factory 9mm ammo.

We are local. I have a G43 you can borrow for her training session. G19 would be THE gun to start her with, but I don't have an extra, at this time.

:)

Last edited:

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I am a firm believer that firearms are kinda like pets. They pick you. What I did with my kids was get together with a few friends and took them to the range with as many guns for them to try as we could. Afterwards we went to a few gun shops and was honest with the salesperson that we weren't really there to buy but to see how different guns fit their hands. I think the salespeople got more excitement talking to the kids about firearms in general, so I don't feel like we were wasting their time. My son ended up going with a Glock 17 and my daughter who is much smaller ended up going with a Springfield XD 40 S&W. Both even today are happy with their choices.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The idea of training first and renting/borrowing along the way to a purchase is good.

Buy her a subscription to Concealed Carry magazine. Lots of legal advice, lots of support for women carrying.

Make SURE she gets to shoot a LCP LCR in 9 or even LCP in 380 or similar, so she doesn’t get sucked into the gun counter salesmen’s line of “well little lady, this little guy is just the one you’re looking for”. They both hurt, in my opinion.

I bet very few of us with any years under our belt thought we could get away with carrying what we carry now, most are self conscious with a little 380 at first.
    You have to convince her to keep an open mind to the future, what she thinks is not possible now can be pretty soon. Or be open to buying twice.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Since it's her first handgun, if you know what you'd like to purchase, I'll offer the firearm at cost, and give you some time on my private outdoor range. Peaceful instruction time in the woods.

No sitting next to some guy doing mag dumps with a 44mag. Just the quiet scenery of Brown County.
    Your a good man Andy, OP don't pass this offer up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The idea of training first and renting/borrowing along the way to a purchase is good.

Buy her a subscription to Concealed Carry magazine. Lots of legal advice, lots of support for women carrying.

Make SURE she gets to shoot a LCP or similiar, so she doesn’t get sucked into the gun counter salesmen’s line of “well little lady, this little guy is just the one you’re looking for”. They hurt.

I bet very few of us with any years under our belt thought we could get away with carrying what we carry now, most are self conscious with a little 380 at first.
    You have to convince her to keep an open mind to the future, what she thinks is not possible now can be pretty soon. Or be open to buying twice.
    I think you are thinking about the LCR. THOSE hurt a lot worse than the LCP in 380.

Nothing wrong with 380 for a first gun. Acceptable level of power for they typical bad guy interaction. (3 shots, within 3 yards, over in 3 secods)

When my wife took her first step, she chose a pink LCP. It was small enough for her to comfortably conceal, and she shot it OK.
    Two guns later she now EDCs the same model G19 I do. When I first recommended it she shot it much better, but no, "Its just too big" :rolleyes:

A LCP she EDCs is better than the ________ she doesnt because its just too big.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I think you are thinking about the LCR. THOSE hurt a lot worse than the LCP in 380.

Nothing wrong with 380 for a first gun. Acceptable level of power for they typical bad guy interaction. (3 shots, within 3 yards, over in 3 secods)

When my wife took her first step, she chose a pink LCP. It was small enough for her to comfortably conceal, and she shot it OK.
    Two guns later she now EDCs the same model G19 I do. When I first recommended it she shot it much better, but no, "Its just too big" :rolleyes:

Fixed it, thanks, you are correct. But I do think they both hurt. I might be a wimp with little girly hands though.

I carried a Sig p238 for a long time because anything else was too big. I also thought I was a decent and quick shot with it. My, how perspectives can change.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fixed it, thanks, you are correct. But I do think they both hurt. I might be a wimp with little girly hands though.

I carried a Sig p238 for a long time because anything else was too big. I also thought I was a decent and quick shot with it. My, how perspectives can change.
    Neither of us minded it. Its also possible your meathooks hung over the edge somewhere? I considered keeping it as a pocket gun.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Neither of us minded it. Its also possible your meathooks hung over the edge somewhere? I considered keeping it as a pocket gun.
    Don’t really remember the specifics. Shot them both at the same outing, and maybe I just transferred my dislike for either of them equally when I should have hated the 9 more? I know the 9 hurt my palm from recoil. The lightness and skinniness was not my friend.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

You gotta get out'a that cab and pickup a trenching shovel to get callous's on those hands.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My nephew has one he thought he'd get for his wife. I tried to tell him something that small will not be comfortable to shoot. She disliked it. He shot it and found out my 1911 10mm was more comfortable to shoot than that.
    He has big hands like myself and his wife she's not a little thing. She was a basketball center for the local high school.
    Big hands little guns don't mix well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's too bad Coach isn't still around. I've taken new shooters through his basic pistol class and he was a fantastic trainer. Keep in mind that some small .380's will have more recoil than a mid size 9mm. Obviously you want her to have something that is easy to conceal, but a lot of that can be figured out by changing her wardrobe and dressing around the gun.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It's too bad Coach isn't still around. I've taken new shooters through his basic pistol class and he was a fantastic trainer. Keep in mind that some small .380's will have more recoil than a mid size 9mm. Obviously you want her to have something that is easy to conceal, but a lot of that can be figured out by changing her wardrobe and dressing around the gun.
    He was great my wife and I both went to him for his basic pistol private class at his home right after I got my first gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree with Guy Relford's law class.
    Wouldn't hurt to attend with her either. It's a good class.

As for the gun, maybe see if anyone is interested in a "Meet & Shoot".
    And then try other people's guns.
    If she is in no hurry, I expect a free open house at Proteq in the fall. Lots of folks there with lots of guns they dont mention others trying.

Top Bottom