• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    And you can purchase a gun with your money and gift it to her. It will be your gun when you walk out of the store, so do not put down on the 4473 that you are buying it for someone else. You were buying it for yourself to gift to someone else. That is totally different and legal. She cannot, however, give you money for you to go buy it. That would make it a straw purchase.
    This is correct. Totally legal, and in fact this very scenario is spelled out on the back of the 4473. It is very important (legally) that it's a bona-fide gift though (not a barter or where you receive something in return.)

You could buy a pistol, then decide you don't really want it and sell it to your sister.
    Technically correct, but getting into dangerous waters. There is now evidence (e.g. your posts) that your sister wants to have a subcompact / compact pistol. If you buy one and sell it to her in short order, your motives will be suspect to the eyes of the law. Now, if it's a gun you bought long ago and decide to sell to her now, that's a much safer course of action.

Remember when crossing State lines: not all are 18 to carry like Indiana.
    Correct. Most states are 21 to carry.

And regarding "Shops in Bloomington". American Arms moved to Bedford last year, but still quite close to Bloomington. They have a good selection and an on-premises range.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It's too bad Coach isn't still around. I've taken new shooters through his basic pistol class and he was a fantastic trainer. Keep in mind that some small .380's will have more recoil than a mid size 9mm. Obviously you want her to have something that is easy to conceal, but a lot of that can be figured out by changing her wardrobe and dressing around the gun.
    Spent a lot of hours shooting with and assisting Coach in his training classes. Every time I see him mentioned it reminds me what a great guy he was and how much he is missed by others as well as myself.. Like CM we seem to be losing the best ones and there IS no replacement for them..

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I don't think she's concerned about recoil; she's fired a 9mm pistol and didn't mind it at all. I think she'd only want to go with a smaller caliber if that was the best way to get something small enough to carry comfortably.

The M&P 2.0 sub compact might be of appeal to her.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And regarding "Shops in Bloomington". American Arms moved to Bedford last year, but still quite close to Bloomington. They have a good selection and an on-premises range.
    Those people are total boners, but there really isn't a better option in town. Maybe rural king?

I private saled a CCW pistol to a 19 year old kid once in Bloomington. Good dude, never saw his name in the paper or anything. Just an IU kid who wanted to look out for himself. Had his LTCH and everything.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Technically correct, but getting into dangerous waters. There is now evidence (e.g. your posts) that your sister wants to have a subcompact / compact pistol. If you buy one and sell it to her in short order, your motives will be suspect to the eyes of the law. Now, if it's a gun you bought long ago and decide to sell to her now, that's a much safer course of action.

And just released crap (today?) from the ATF says you probably need to wait at least 30 days before selling because that is now one of the criteria for being a dealer... selling a gun you purchased within 30 days.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    And just released crap (today?) from the ATF says you probably need to wait at least 30 days before selling because that is now one of the criteria for being a dealer... selling a gun you purchased within 30 days.

It's garbage as are most ATF regulations. But at least they're putting a figure on it. The worst regulations are the ones where "we'll know it when we see it" regarding breaking the law with serious consequences. It would be much better if the regulations (although unconstitutional) were in black and white. (e.g. 29 days = a crime; 30 days = legal).

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I will recommend Top Guns in Terre Haute for a private lesson. I took a friend there whose husband had bought her a G3C which she was having issues with. She signed up for a lesson with Bill Smoot who found that the gun was just too wide across the grip and causing her issue of limp wristing and stove piping. He actually spent longer than the allotted hour with her and let her shoot a couple of different guns. Come to find out, she shot a 1911 Officer's model almost perfectly so now she is looking for one. The lessons are during the week and run $99. It's a boring drive to Terre Haute from Bloomington but we found it well worth it.

You also might try American Arms in Judah but I don't know much about them.

Last edited:

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    The absolute best advice that I can give to a newcomer to carry is to buy and read, re-read, and re-re-read "The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen" by Andrew F. Branca. Lots of books and training will teach you how to save your life with a firearm. This book will teach you how to save the quality of your life starting at one second past the shooting. Look for the 3rd edition on Amazon.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Definitely a great choice. I would recommend the M&P Shield EZ either 9mm or 380. Great gun and very accurate to shoot.
    This is about an 18 year old...
    Square your advice here with your post in the gavin newsome thread and let us know if you spot the inconsistency...

"The Right to Safety Amendment will raise the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21, mandate universal background checks, institute a waiting period for all gun purchases, and ban assault rifles for civilians – while leaving the Second Amendment intact. Additionally, the Right to Safety will affirm Congress, states, and local governments can enact common-sense gun safety laws that save lives."

Help me understand the "overrule" 2nd amendment part. Raising the minimum age...not a huge deal. Background checks...every gun I've purchased from online or gun store...check. Waiting period...not specified to what that means in detail...jury's still out on that one. Ban on ARs...nothing new there. Don't own one, but don't care if a private citizen does. That might be the only point I am in disagreement with.

Help me understand the sky is falling and I should be very afraid. I'm not one to jump on the "it's coming from the other side", whichever side that may be, then it's bad.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is about an 18 year old...
    Square your advice here with your post in the gavin newsome thread and let us know if you spot the inconsistency...

Hopefully our friend sticks around to learn better?

With all due respect to newbies, can't help but notice SO many making first gun recommendations? Is it based on years of experience carrying, training, etc or is it self-affirmation about their choice, solely because it was their choice?

:dunno:

Top Bottom