• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If you are from Miami county, I don't recommend the NE side of town. I'm also from a small town/rural type county, and it would just not be a good fit to live in Lawrence or Fishers. If you want to keep some sense of small town while still being fairly close to downtown and the east side, I recommend Franklin Township on the southeast side of Indy. That's anything east of Emerson Avenue and south of Troy Avenue. Wanamaker is a good place to live, right off of I-74 for an easy commute downtown by taking I-74 west to I-465 south, then downtown via I-65 north. Lawrence is on the fast track downhill and Fishers is too crowded.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    When I was working (10 years ago) downtown, it took me 12-15 minutes from Southport Rd & I-65 to get to work via 65. I went in early, 6:00 AM, to avoid the rush hour traffic. I'd expect to nearly double that time leaving home after 7:00. That said, there are lots of nice apartment communities near 65 in the Southport/Greenwood area.

I hope your employer has parking available. Some downtown employers pay the cost of parking which may be significant. As mentioned above....Single guy....at least look into a downtown apartment.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Take a look at Lebanon. It's a 30 minute drive to downtown Indy via I-65. Lebanon has decent housing and is not that far north of Marion County Fish & Game (handgun, small bore rifle, and trap). Reasonable driving distance to Atlanta Conservation Club outdoor range for rifle and pistol with IDPA, USPSA, and 3 gun shoots are held.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I wouldn't live downtown if you paid me. I just took a picture today from where a homeless guy pointed his ass at pearl street pizza and rhino lined the exterior with convicted felon scat. The food is good, kinda. Most college towns are better. I guess you could hang out in military park and feed the homeless for a warm fuzzy feeling. While they're eating, they're too busy to stab each other or break into your car, so that's nice. You can go to the mall on saturday and hang out with all the gang ban...excuse me the news calls them the more palatable "mall kids". When they shoot they usually miss so it's no big deal. The strong arm robberies get old, but on the bright side, it'll help you develop your cardio. You'll meet plenty of interesting people, who will ask you for money or cigarettes...then threaten you before spraying feces on a restaurant wall.

I certainly wouldnt pay 3x more than anywhere else for all that awesome.
    I would move to the south side, greenwood, or greenfield. I've lived on every side of town in INDY and prefer the South. I've taken the Pepsi challenge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't live downtown if you paid me. I just took a picture today from where a homeless guy pointed his ass at pearl street pizza and rhino lined the exterior with convicted felon scat. The food is good, kinda. Most college towns are better. I guess you could hang out in military park and feed the homeless for a warm fuzzy feeling. While they're eating, they're too busy to stab each other or break into your car, so that's nice. You can go to the mall on saturday and hang out with all the gang ban...excuse me the news calls them the more palatable "mall kids". When they shoot they usually miss so it's no big deal. The strong arm robberies get old, but on the bright side, it'll help you develop your cardio. You'll meet plenty of interesting people, who will ask you for money or cigarettes...then threaten you before spraying feces on a restaurant wall.

I certainly wouldnt pay 3x more than anywhere else for all that awesome.
    I would move to the south side, greenwood, or greenfield. I've lived on every side of town in INDY and prefer the South. I've taken the Pepsi challenge.

All of the above is true.
    We live west. Grew up here. Left and came back. It was really OK then. It has faded away in the last 35 years.

Seriously....look just outside the city. But know the 8:00 commute on any inbound Interstate is a real bear. Lebonon is more like 45/50 minutes at peak traffic.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another Franklin Township vote. If you're looking for an apartment there are several off i65 and Southport Road (Exit 104). It'll take you about 20 minutes to downtown proper with no traffic. 30 or so with traffic.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not looking for any crazy night life haha.

Then my vote is to head south into the Greenwood area. Cheaper and generally less hectic than the Castleton / Noblesville / Fishers areas.

However, traffic may not be any better.

I've lived on the south side and in Greenwood since 2001 and I love it. I wasn't a "nightlife" guy when I was single and on my own. I'm still not now that I have a family!

The South side isn't for "foodie" people, however. It's mainly chain places and a handful of independents. If you're into the foodie scene and it's a high priority that you be near a lot of trendy restaurants - Greenwood isn't for you.

The South-to-East commute isn't bad. The South-to-Downtown can get bad depending on what time you make the commute.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Seeing how this is INGO, I can't imagine you fit in with the stereotypical North-sider (stuck up, pinkie-out types). Not only that, traffic is a nightmare, and the cost of living is higher than the other areas.

I'd recommend Greenwood. Call me biased, but traffic isn't as bad as the north side, and there is plenty to do. I'd disagree with the above poster about restaurants. While the area has more chains than one off places, there are still plenty of neat places to eat and/or have a good drink.

Plus there is an indoor range in Point Blank nearby.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Another vote for Greenwood.
    Ive been here most of my life, and depending on your move in date, I might have a nice rental house available.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Then my vote is to head south into the Greenwood area.

But what if he does not play the jug?

One-of-the-worlds-oldest-kids-playing-a-jug.jpeg

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'll vote for New Palestine ... been here for 8 years now. Close enough to Indy to be a comfortable drive yet I still feel rural. House prices are a little higher but the quality is generally commensurate with what you pay for. Land is expensive here. Schools are good.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Greenwood area.
    Uh no. Stay the hell away from greenwood. Ever seen 10 Mexican illegals fit into a small car? Well you will in greenwood. Crime is rising consistently. The police are seriously dicks. Yeah there's some good ones but it's the attitude from the top down.
    Also there are way too many people. Traffic is so bad you will hate it in a week. Best thing I ever did was leave there

Last edited:
    Top Bottom