• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I lost count of the lawyerly disclaimers in just the first sentence!

g-cvr-080501-mission-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ive been told by multiple trainiers (including LEO that do training) that an appropriate statement would be "I was attacked and feared for my life and was forced to defend myself. I will gladly cooperate with the investigation once I have had a chance to talk with my attorney."

Completely clamming up and refusing to even give an overall rough sketch of what happened (above) makes them have to try to figure out what happened based on what they see standing there minutes after the fact. It may not be obvious at that time without at least a tiny clue as to what happened. It could be the difference between sitting comfortably and sitting in cuffs while they investigate. (you still might be in cuffs for a bit even with that brief statement)

And I am sure it would get even messier if you are refusing to give ANY statement and one of the witnesses who didnt see the whole thing gives a statement that isnt in your favor. "I dont know officer, as I came around the corner of the building I saw that guy shoot the other guy."

(IANAL)

Do you have a lawyer on retainer? Does anybody for this type of matter? I do carry Guy's card in my wallet and, if I ever meet Kirk again, might ask for his, but how does it really work?

Can I pull out a lawyer card and say I need help or will I get denied if no retainer is in effect? What would you do if the first lawyer that you know has a good reputation in firearms law is not there to take the call or denies service?

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Do you have a lawyer on retainer? Does anybody for this type of matter? I do carry Guy's card in my wallet and, if I ever meet Kirk again, might ask for his, but how does it really work?

Can I pull out a lawyer card and say I need help or will I get denied if no retainer is in effect? What would you do if the first lawyer that you know has a good reputation in firearms law is not there to take the call or denies service?

I do. Everyone who carries a gun for self-defense should. Here's the best ~$80/year you could ever spend. No marketing, no hype, just solid education and legal protection:

https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I was told by a lawyer not to say anything... Quite frankly it doesn't matter how guilty you appear to the officers, it matter how guilty you appear in court. And anything you say will stick with you. Anything you don't say will not. So pretty much do what the guys are saying and ask to contact a lawyer and cooperate but don't say anything relating to the event that took place.

I would recommend talking to a lawyer, and taking a class where they go over this kind of thing!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Hmmm, I've been a member for so long I forgot that. I'm sure searching here will turn something up. I feel like crap today and don't have the energy to, though.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Concerning the original question, the police will most likely separate you and your spouse to take any statement. They will then compare them.

It appears saying as little as possible or nothing at all is the best option.

In a justifiable shooting, we all want to be candid and explain the situation. That is for a court room, not a crime scene.

I am not a lawyer. Don't want to be a lawyer.

Just 2 cents worth.

Don

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    A couple gets stopped driving out of state. The officer finds thru a database lookup that the driver has a Concealed Carry Permit in Florida. The driver says I do not have any guns with me (he didn't). The wife questioned separately, says she doesn't know if he is carrying. They are arrested for giving different stories.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with most of the sentiments about keeping your piehole shut. The less you say, the less that can be used against you.

However, I also agree with CameraMonkey in that some small statement should be given to put things in initial context and not make things any more difficult for LEO than they have to be. This keeps things as civil as possible and avoids the problem with being "uncooperative" in any future questioning of LE investigators.

As to the wife issue, I also agree that there is no legal compulsion barring a subpoena or other legal force to make a statement. I would presume that anyone nearby could be charged in some context (as an agitator and/or accomplace) and as such all would be wise to seek legal council before speaking. In the vast majority of cases this is entirely unnecessary but we aren't looking at probabilities, but rather possibilities.

I believe you can invoke your rights AND be nice about it at the same time. Silly concept, I know...

Regards,

Doug

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Only question I have is if you tell Leo right off your not saying a word without your attorney is it worth being handcuffed and detained until they get a hold of your attorney. And I'm guessing most attorneys are hard to get after hours. So does that mean your going to jail until your attorney gets with you then investigators.

PTK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Valparaiso
    A couple gets stopped driving out of state. The officer finds thru a database lookup that the driver has a Concealed Carry Permit in Florida. The driver says I do not have any guns with me (he didn't). The wife questioned separately, says she doesn't know if he is carrying. They are arrested for giving different stories.

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

That absolutely wouldn't happen. If a police officer runs your drivers license it does not show if you have a Concealed Carry Permit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In Indiana it sure does. ISP linked them. It is possible it shows up on out of state inquiries.

True, but not all agencies' computers query that database. Westfield PD doesnt. I know because I was held over 20 mins while they tried phoning the ISP to verify my LTCH validity (and ISP wouldnt answer/return the call).

Its safe to assume though that they will get the info from dispatch.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    True, but not all agencies' computers query that database. Westfield PD doesnt. I know because I was held over 20 mins while they tried phoning the ISP to verify my LTCH validity (and ISP wouldnt answer/return the call).

Its safe to assume though that they will get the info from dispatch.
    We all access the same state system, however there are times that it is down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom