• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    its mediocre, but considering the times we live in right now, its not bad. You will still need a barrel and probably an extended brake.
    Yeah, considering you used to be able to buy the complete rifle for that price (or less), I have no point of reference to go on. :n00b: Why an extended brake (as opposed to a standard slant brake for example)?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Yeah, considering you used to be able to buy the complete rifle for that price (or less), I have no point of reference to go on. :n00b: Why an extended brake (as opposed to a standard slant brake for example)?

Because of some "Act" that was pasted to keep you from owning a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches. Stock AMD barrel is around 13 inches i think. So we better do what the book tells us to do. Those few inches make it that much more deadly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If we are all ever out of work at the same time, watch out Century!!!!! ;)

Century? Pfft! All we need is a goofy looking chick and we could get our own reality show! :):

Sons-Of-Guns-Stephanie-Hayden-Derp.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because of some "Act" that was pasted to keep you from owning a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches. Stock AMD barrel is around 13 inches i think. So we better do what the book tells us to do. Those few inches make it that much more deadly.
    Ah, okay... And AMD barrels aren't interchangeable with other types?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Ah, okay... And AMD barrels aren't interchangeable with other types?

I dont think so i think the distance for the gas block is different. I know the bolt carrier is shorter than normal. If you want to follow this "act" you just need to solder on a extended muzzle break.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you could build an AMD65 w/ a standard barrel, the componenets are the same, just in a different location. Then you wouldn't need the extended brake. I think it would look better too ;)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    pwoller - never use the press with the bolt carrier in or cover on. One slip and something will get bent. You can leave the FCG in though. Just lock the hammer back and be careful of the trigger. It hurts... a lot.

Can you take a side pic of your build showing the front trunnion and rear trunnion. Take the pic with the cover on and off. Make sure your bolt carrier is in and the spring is locked in.

Clay - the AMD 65 with a standard barrel and standard stock is the AMD 63.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

oh I know. I would give a pinky finger or a pinky toe for a nice AMD63, or SA85. I dont have a hungarian AK, and Im not a fan of the wire folder on the 65. When the right deal comes along Ill probably end up with an SA85.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    oh I know. I would give a pinky finger or a pinky toe for a nice AMD63, or SA85. I dont have a hungarian AK, and Im not a fan of the wire folder on the 65. When the right deal comes along Ill probably end up with an SA85.
    I'm not crazy about folding stocks in general. Could the AMD65 kit be converted to use a standard stock? Or am I venturing into an area where it would be more work than it's worth?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Problem is unlike the romanian side folders which use a standard trunnion, the amd65 uses a specific side folder trunnion which has cut outs in the receiver for the stock to move.

If you want to build an amd65 with a fixed stock, then buy an amd65 kit, buy a normal receiver (ala NDS-1 or NDS-1EZ) and a standard rear trunnion.

oh, and for folding stocks, the only way to fly is the 100 series poly side folder, or the skeleton side folder, which basically mimic the full stock.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    pwoller - never use the press with the bolt carrier in or cover on. One slip and something will get bent. You can leave the FCG in though. Just lock the hammer back and be careful of the trigger. It hurts... a lot.

Can you take a side pic of your build showing the front trunnion and rear trunnion. Take the pic with the cover on and off. Make sure your bolt carrier is in and the spring is locked in.

P1010482_zps806c4a34.jpg

P1010480_zpsd54464cc.jpg

P1010479_zps4e829de8.jpg

P1010474_zps60770d53.jpg

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    You will need to push the rear site block back as far as possible. You need to get the cover tighter. Keep the lower handguard off so we can see the front trunnion in relation to front edge of receiver. when you take next pic.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You will need to push the rear site block back as far as possible. You need to get the cover tighter. Keep the lower handguard off so we can see the front trunnion in relation to front edge of receiver. when you take next pic.

Oh and I don't have a press so its rubber mallets for me!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is one of those deals where almost locked into where the rear trunnion sits due to the underfolder receiver holes, and the fact that its a parts kit that was fit to a different receiver that may have been just a touch shorter than the other.

Very worst case scenario, you might have to weld up the front of the dust cover to close up the gap if you cant push the rsb back anymore. OR you could always buy a different dust cover if its not a matching kit.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is one of those deals where almost locked into where the rear trunnion sits due to the underfolder receiver holes, and the fact that its a parts kit that was fit to a different receiver that may have been just a touch shorter than the other.

Very worst case scenario, you might have to weld up the front of the dust cover to close up the gap if you cant push the rsb back anymore. OR you could always buy a different dust cover if its not a matching kit.

Its a numbers match but like you said its a kit anyways. I think I can force it back a bit further. I don't need to be worried about the rear sight interfearing with the bolt carrier?

BEANC0UNTER

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    You can also slightly bend/push the back of the dust cover out a little to move the front forward. It may help a little.

Top Bottom