• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Im stuck on Muzzy mx3, I tried expandables when they first came out, and that combined with aluminum arrows cost me a nice doe that I put a good hit on. I shot her quartering away behind the left shoulder, arrow imbedded in the opposite shoulder (from what I could tell). She took off with about 10 inches of arrow sticking out of her, which broke off (found it while tracking her) with the retainer band from the BH on it. after I found the back half of the arrow the blood trail absolutely stopped and she was lost. After that I went to carbon arrows and back to my trusty 3-blade Muzzys. Same bow, same draw weight the next year took two very similar shots, both passed through one ran about 30 yards the other went about 100 yards and both were recovered. I trailed the original doe (after the longest 3 hour wait EVER) a good 1/2 mile before finding the back half of the arrow and losing the blood. Its kind of wierd that I remember more detail about the 2 deer that I have lost than the 15+ deer I have tagged. The other deer I "lost" was actually stolen, but thats a story for a different thread.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    inline archery

In-line Archery has this product I think is worth telling everyone about.
    It's called the nock line.

nock-lines.jpg

This is used to hold your arrows in your quiver when your gripper gets a little loose.

whitetail_series.jpg

You loop one end of the string over your gripper and slide the other end into your nock. Pretty good idea.

2.jpg

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Not to change the subject or anything but.......since gun season has came in has anybody been shooting their bows or bowhunting?
    I have to admit I have not. I have been toting the smokepole. I will until the end of muzzy then I'll go back to the bow. I like late season evening bow hunts.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I have been toting my bow around while my family carries firearms. I just like my bow better. I guess if I really had to fill freezer I'd carry the 12 ga, but luckily we had a buck given to us and so I don't feel as pressured.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Well I was going to ask this question when we got a forum so it was easier to follow, but I'm bored since I have to work tonight and didn't get out hunting this morning. How do you go about hunting urban? Do you find a park or something or just start knocking on doors to find a location?
    Are there any archery only park reduction hunts? Or are they all firearms? I do not wish to be out there with firearm hunters of any kind off my own land.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Not to take anything away from INGO, but AR15.com just opened their new archery website today. Plans are to expand it greatly to compete with the current large archery websites, and it is hoped that bow manufacturers will accept invitations to host their own forums there, with reps on hand to answer questions, etc.

Archery - AR15.COM

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    G5 striker magnum. 3 blade fixed, cut to the point, replaceable blades. 125 gr. 1.5 in. cut diameter. I like them so far - one doe, and one coyote. Only problem is the blades stick out on my quiver - since they are larger. If I use the pre-cut slots in the quiver foam, the two outside positions, the blades hit the edge of the quiver and stick out. I have been cut a few times this year due to this. I managed to rotate and "re-cut" new slots for the other three positons.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    G5 striker magnum. 3 blade fixed, cut to the point, replaceable blades. 125 gr. 1.5 in. cut diameter. I like them so far - one doe, and one coyote. Only problem is the blades stick out on my quiver - since they are larger. If I use the pre-cut slots in the quiver foam, the two outside positions, the blades hit the edge of the quiver and stick out. I have been cut a few times this year due to this. I managed to rotate and "re-cut" new slots for the other three positons.
    Time to buy a new quiver:rockwoot: should be able to pick one up really cheap right now since firearms is in. Alot of stores should have an archery clearance going on.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Everyone must be busy with late archery.
    I didn't see anything today, neighbors shooting squirrels or whatnot. Didn't mind that so much as their dog tresspassing on MY land. I did leave a message on his phone that he may want to keep dog home as traps and dogs don't mix well. Big surprise no return call to apoligize.
    I would still love a archery forum.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I have been using the Keller pendulum sight for 10 years and I absolutley love it. Not having to guess yardage is a wonderful thing. You have to sight your bow in at 20 yds on the ground then go up into your stand and dial it in from there. I would make sure when you dial it in you have your broadheads in. My arrows with the field tips shoot 2-1/2" to 3" higher then my arrows with my broadheads. There are obviously several different pendulums on the market but I think Keller was probably one of the first if not the first. It's a good system. I've seen them on ebay for cheap. :yesway:

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Trying to build a canoe to get back into the woods ;) Have finally figred them out but the rain and my sprained ankle are not cooperating......... hopefully tomorrow :)

Everyone must be busy with late archery.
    I didn't see anything today, neighbors shooting squirrels or whatnot. Didn't mind that so much as their dog tresspassing on MY land. I did leave a message on his phone that he may want to keep dog home as traps and dogs don't mix well. Big surprise no return call to apoligize.
    I would still love a archery forum.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I have been using the Keller pendulum sight for 10 years and I absolutley love it. Not having to guess yardage is a wonderful thing. You have to sight your bow in at 20 yds on the ground then go up into your stand and dial it in from there. I would make sure when you dial it in you have your broadheads in. My arrows with the field tips shoot 2-1/2" to 3" higher then my arrows with my broadheads. There are obviously several different pendulums on the market but I think Keller was probably one of the first if not the first. It's a good system. I've seen them on ebay for cheap. :yesway:

Thanks, I knew there was a specific brand to look at, I saw one at Bass Pro but it wasn't a Keller. Waiting til season ends to redial everything in, I think a Pendulum sight would really help with my "doe" fever lol. I have noticed my broadheads flying lower than my fieldtips, I have my bow shooting 2 inches high to compensate for now(I hope).

I am hoping our creek is down tomorrow to hit the woods, it goes from 6 inches deep to 4 feet deep with these rains. Surely is going to be colder out than my fridgerator, brrrr! I will not be worrying about meat going bad at least.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I shoot my broadheads into a styrofoam target and still use them to hunt with, they still are very sharp and still seem to penetrate well. For me practicing with what I'm hunting with is important. You need to know what your bow and arrow can do.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    My arrows with the field tips shoot 2-1/2" to 3" higher then my arrows with my broadheads.

I have noticed my broadheads flying lower than my fieldtips, I have my bow shooting 2 inches high to compensate for now(I hope).

Adjust your elevation with either your rest or nocking point. Your broadheads need to chase your field points, until both hit the exact same spot.

Using windingwinds' situation as an example, the nocking point either needs to come down, or the rest needs to come up. (selnoid44 would have to do opposite.) Move in small increments such as 1/32" or 1/16" -- it doesn't take much. The fieldtips' point of impact will rise slightly, but the broadheads will rise more and gain on the field points. Once they merge together, then readjust the sights and you're done.

With a properly spined arrow, field points and broadheads should have the same point of impact. If your broadheads are shooting left or right of your field points (in addition to shooting high or low), chase your fieldpoints by moving your rest left or right after getting them on the same elevation first.

Top Bottom