• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Been shooting and hunting with a PSE compound bow for the last 8 years or so and just decided to buy a crossbow. Decided on and bought a Barnett Raptor. So far I'm pretty impressed, I've only shot it about 10 times and it was hitting a 10" x 10" ring pretty much right out of the box. Time to get it dialed in and ready to shed some blood.

Question for those that shoot and hunt with crossbows... What distance is your zero?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Not for sure what would be a good zero for only one crosshair. My stepson's crossbow has three marks like a BDC reticle. I sighted in at 20 then went back til the next mark hit, then the same for the bottom mark. Depending on the speed and what your maximum effective range is, I am guessing 32-34 yds would be a good starting point. That would probably allow you to hold on out to 38-40 yds.

bhunt31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I shot today at Nancy's Broken Arrow in Cloverdale today. Wonderful weather and a great time as usual. It was the first time to shoot 3D since going to the Florida ASA. Hope to get to a couple more shoots in the next few weeks before heading to the Kentucky ASA. Any other 3D shooters??

I would love to get into it. Time is a major issue with me though.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Does anyone know of any shops within 60 or so miles of Indy that carry Black Eagle executioner crossbow arrows. I've found plenty of online stores but would like to see before I buy. I know Girts used to carry them but they have been closed for some time now. Any help would be appreciated.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    Ah ... an archery section. Guns are cool and all, but when it comes to hunting, bows are where it is at! :D

Deer set up, Elite GT500

IMG_0150.jpg

Turkey set up, Elite Z28

2011TurkeyBow03.jpg

Is that a bipod for your bow? Where would a guy find something like that?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Does anyone know of any shops within 60 or so miles of Indy that carry Black Eagle executioner crossbow arrows. I've found plenty of online stores but would like to see before I buy. I know Girts used to carry them but they have been closed for some time now. Any help would be appreciated.

Granted, I havent been to girts in a hot minute, but Google shows girts as still being open. Tony is also running the shop located here. Koteewi Archery
    tonys email: tonygirt@koteewiarchery.com

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I shot a round of 3D today at Wildman's Archery over near the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center. I did not keep score but shot decent with my hunting bow, a Pearson Bulldog that I bought at Girt's back in '07.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just heard there is an ASA state qualifier this weekend at Noblesville. I assume it it is at Koteewi. I just won't be able to make it. Too many things to do before Oct. 1st.

johncarries

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2015
    South Bend
    Greetings Archers. I have used Mathews for years now. Fell in love with them when the switchback was first introduced and use it to this day. I have harvested deer every year with few exceptions with this system. The challenge is to be patient for the good shot. I have forced shots I normally would not take since deer do not always give you the "perfect shot". I have been known to "thread the needle" on occasion. One lesson I have learned is to never push a quartering to you shot unless you like tracking bloodless trails. An arrow through "Both" lungs is always fatal.

View attachment 42835

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The St. Anthony Conservation club will be having its 5th annual bow shoot on March 19th. Usually average around 175 shooters and there will be lots of other activities as well.

Saturday March 19th, 2016
    3D Registration 8am - 1pm
    Raffle & Activities 8am - 430pm
    * 3D Target Shoot -- Shooters will be entered for a chance to win a food plot package!!
    * Trophies will be awarded -- $10 entry, 10 years & under $5
    * Prize Target --shooting for over $3000 in prizes!!
    * Bow Raffle -- tickets on site or from any member.
    * Got a mount? -- Official scorer on site.
    * Hungry? -- Breakfast sandwiches, burgers, & drinks available.
    * Check out the vendor displays, new truck & ATV displays.
    * * MEET AND GREET PRO STAFF MEMBERS FROM BOWHUNT OR DIE!!!!!!!! *web show*

https://www.facebook.com/events/579983435484013/

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well my old Tradtech Pinnacle 2 came back up for sale.
    Prev owner was kinda rough on it, but the price reflective.
    Miht dump the med limbs and go with shorts, that'd also spif it up.
    Of course this was an hr or so after I bought a BW clone off the web.
    Had one yrs ago, first one in US (bought as demo at ATA)..................Samick "Equus". Copy of BW SAG. Mine was 55# or so it said.
    Scaled it went 61#.

They sold it under another name, "Rival". Minty 40# rig for $150. If it scales considerably higher I'd be thrilled. If it hits 40 at 28" hen it's my turkey bow for next yr ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So I will have 3 recurves on the wall by end of the week. Worst case I might dump one of the new ones for a K mag (should they irritate me for any reason- I am kinda picky).
    The Tradtech has had the riser significantly reworked (I did it) and it feels and shoots way better than stock.
    Proly keep that one. IIRC it has reg wood/glass TT limbs, 50# mediums. They max'd 58#.

40, 48 and 58# rigs, the bookends being FF rated.

Think I have things covered. Might plunk a carp or something come weekend (the HF1225 is too nice to risk on such folly).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well I got the BW clone today (Samick Equus/Rival).
    40#@28" (supposedly) 56" is copy of Black Widow SAG.
    I took steel wool and got the finish off the model label on lower limb (green oval with "Rival")
    Some acetone then got the label off, but now the clear is higher around where the label was.
    Not bad, dunno if I should take it all down to same level or put a finish in to fill it. Very slight, can only see in good angled light.
    But I am kinda OCD.

OK, rug rest on it, no gap for quill. Sideplate of Bear type, so was hard and torn up.
    String had funkt nock set and was not twisted up much.............low brace prev setup.

Yup............another "Tradtard" owned this bow. Kills me how people run crap setups, wrong arrows and release like they're trying to swat a horsefly on their arse................and they think this acceptable, because they are purists/sportsmen.

Like at Cloverdale, 25 yd target, trees 6 ft out from the stake, gap between them 3 ft wide...............and both trees, lfet and right, will have all the bark blasted off them.

Thankfully some traditional shooters know what's what and shoot good.

Just wish more did.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And no, there's no way to pass the Samick clone off as a real BW, the limb tips differ greatly.
    The bow is clear glass, with black and red in the grip...........pretty little thing.
    The green "Rival" label was horrible in contrast.

Top Bottom