• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I sincerely apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

I live in NJ but live in West Lafayette for 8 months out of the year. I attend Purdue University and rent an apartment off-campus. Can I apply for a LTCH in my municipality? After the recent shootings, I have decided that extensive training with a handgun is an invaluable skill to have. I will not carry a handgun until I feel confident in my training with it but I would like to know how I can start the process.

NJ's gun laws are ridiculous and if I qualify to receive a license from IN then I will definitely take that route and just store the gun in IN if I return to NJ.

Thank you for any help!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What does your drivers license say? Are you attending school as an Indiana resident? Is your primary place of employment in Indiana?

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    I have a NJ drivers license, and I am attending as an out of state student but my name is on the lease of my apartment in IN.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    hmm :( ok. Does IN issue non-resident LTCH?

I'll ask again... Do you have a place of employment in Indiana?

Indiana Code 35-47-2 said:
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.
    The superintendent and local law enforcement agencies shall allow an applicant desiring to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun to submit an application electronically under this chapter if funds are available to establish and maintain an electronic application system.

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    unfortunately no, that's why I conceded to the non-resident question.

I have been looking around and it looks like NJ looks to FL non-resident license to solve this issue. Good idea?

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Ugh... FL and UT non-residents must be 21 years old. Looks like I'll just take lessons for 4 months then :/

Thanks for all the help and quick responses everyone!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ugh... FL and UT non-residents must be 21 years old. Looks like I'll just take lessons for 4 months then :/

Thanks for all the help and quick responses everyone!

I don't know about Florida, but Utah will not issue non-resident permits unless you have a valid one from your home state.

Further investigation leads me to believe this is not the case for Florida.

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    I don't know about Florida, but Utah will not issue non-resident permits unless you have a valid one from your home state.

Further investigation leads me to believe this is not the case for Florida.

UT will allow if the home state does not honor their permit. NJ honors no states licenses so that should be fine.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Regardless of where your carry license is from, if you are in the state of Indiana, Indiana Code applies. Not talking about the LTCH. I'm talking about when you are authorized to use force, where you can't carry, etc.

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Regardless of where your carry license is from, if you are in the state of Indiana, Indiana Code applies. Not talking about the LTCH. I'm talking about when you are authorized to use force, where you can't carry, etc.

Yep, I completely understand. Before I even consider owning a gun I will be taking as many lessons that my local range will offer me on the basics, safety, and state carrying laws :)

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I sincerely apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

I live in NJ but live in West Lafayette for 8 months out of the year. I attend Purdue University and rent an apartment off-campus. Can I apply for a LTCH in my municipality? After the recent shootings, I have decided that extensive training with a handgun is an invaluable skill to have. I will not carry a handgun until I feel confident in my training with it but I would like to know how I can start the process.

NJ's gun laws are ridiculous and if I qualify to receive a license from IN then I will definitely take that route and just store the gun in IN if I return to NJ.

Thank you for any help!

The problem is, its hard to decide the definition of "resident"

According to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles: BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements
    All you need is an address and be registered to vote. The State Dept of Revenue simply requires that you maintain a permanent address (your off campus apartment would suffice) and IN voting and DL.

Because of your off campus address, I think you could get your IN DL and register to vote, thereby becoming an IN resident. You would then be eligible for an LTCH. You would, however, be giving up your NJ residency. It's your call. I might be tempted to call the Indiana State Police to clarify, since they oversee the licensing process.

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    The problem is, its hard to decide the definition of "resident"

According to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles: BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements
    All you need is an address and be registered to vote. The State Dept of Revenue simply requires that you maintain a permanent address (your off campus apartment would suffice) and IN voting and DL.

Because of your off campus address, I think you could get your IN DL and register to vote, thereby becoming an IN resident. You would then be eligible for an LTCH. You would, however, be giving up your NJ residency. It's your call. I might be tempted to call the Indiana State Police to clarify, since they oversee the licensing process.

Hmm, very interesting points! I will definitely check that out.

Top Bottom