• ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The problem is, its hard to decide the definition of "resident"

According to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles: BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements
    All you need is an address and be registered to vote. The State Dept of Revenue simply requires that you maintain a permanent address (your off campus apartment would suffice) and IN voting and DL.

Because of your off campus address, I think you could get your IN DL and register to vote, thereby becoming an IN resident. You would then be eligible for an LTCH. You would, however, be giving up your NJ residency. It's your call. I might be tempted to call the Indiana State Police to clarify, since they oversee the licensing process.

This is may be true but another thing to think about if you do this is if your parents are supporting you this can have adverse effects on financial aid...Just say'n
    Proud Purdue parent myself.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have already looked this place up online and was probably going to ask you guys if this was a reputable place. Thanks for saving me the time :)

They are a nice place gun prices are alittle high but they have a very nice facility and friendly staff. A great range for rifle and pistol and have a pretty good selection of rental guns so you can try a few out to see what you like. I have never taken any of their classes but I can tell you they are packed when they have them so they must be doing something right. They also used to give a discount for Purdue students. I think the ROTC uses them for the pistol practice I have been there a few times when the Purdue vans have been in the lot with several people in there.

njdevilx11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    They are a nice place gun prices are alittle high but they have a very nice facility and friendly staff. A great range for rifle and pistol and have a pretty good selection of rental guns so you can try a few out to see what you like. I have never taken any of their classes but I can tell you they are packed when they have them so they must be doing something right. They also used to give a discount for Purdue students. I think the ROTC uses them for the pistol practice I have been there a few times when the Purdue vans have been in the lot with several people in there.

Oh, awesome! I was actually going to take their "First Shots" class the first saturday that I get back from break. Guess I'll have to see if I can sign up ahead of time then.

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    Unless you change your state of residence, you will likely have to buy your handgun in NJ -- and for that, you will want expert advice.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I am a student in another state and I have maintained my Indiana residence. In your case, you'll want to get an IN driver's license and become an Indiana resident. Also, please keep telling yourself that you have no intent to return to New Jersey. If you take a handgun into New Jersey, you may end up in jail.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    This is may be true but another thing to think about if you do this is if your parents are supporting you this can have adverse effects on financial aid...Just say'n
    Proud Purdue parent myself.

Changing residency will not make him an independent student if that is what you are getting at. Residency does not change anything, he would still be a dependent student if his parents still provide more than half of his support, through medical and dental, car, school expenses/food allowance, etc.

Now if he lived here for 8 months, got a full time job, with his own insurance, etc. He could try to be an independent student for financial aid purposes. But I don't believe this would cause adverse effects either, because then his expected family contribution would be lower, and the government would provide more funds. If you are a dependent student they take into account both parents assets, and your own.

If he becomes a resident, his tuition will be cheaper, they do re-calculate your tuition, if you change residency. Now this would lower your government funds, but ONLY because your expenses were drastically reduced.

Just something he needs to go over with an advisor before he makes any changes.

Do whatever makes your college cheaper.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom