Am I expecting too much out of my stock 10/22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was lazy over the weekend so I didn't get out to do any testing till this afternoon.
    I shot 10, 10 shot groups at 100yds with a fresh box of CCI 40g standard velocity.
    Two groups were right at 4", five groups were in the 3" range, one group just under 2.5" and two groups were 2" give or take 1/8". I meant to take some of the Auto-match I shot Friday but forgot it. I shot two groups with CCI 40g mini-mags. They were rather disappointing. Both in excess of 5" and no real pattern. Surprised that POI was also about 5" higher than the SV ammo.
    At this point, I have to accept that this is about the best I can expect unless I start swapping parts.

Thanks, Matt

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Gleaned from years of hangin' out on rimfire central and fiddling with 10/22s: It's a mass production rimfire rifle. First and foremost, that means it will have a distinct preference for ammo. What works in mine may not work worth a hoot in yours. Second and at least as important, a 4 lb gun with an 8 lb trigger is not conducive to good results. there are lots of ways to get that trigger down to 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. The easiest/cheapest is a VQ hammer. (hammer only)

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was thinking only my wood stock carbine had the bx trigger. But after shooting it quite a bit yesterday, it either has a bx trigger in it or it is one I worked on myself. It's not 2 1/2lb but it's a long way from 8lbs. I know this 50th anniversary had a horrible trigger out of the box, virtually unusable.

Matt

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I dug up the photo of the target I was referring to. Looks like about 2 MOA, excluding a couple called flyers. We'll go back and see if we can do better with the new bags and BX trigger.

IMG_20160723_24763.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow... Federal Auto Match outperformed CCI Standard Velocity? I never would have guessed that.

Not in my 10/22 guns. Am22 is one of the worst performing rounds in both of mine at any range, any distance. It was also pretty bad in my 22/45 pistol. I sold off several boxes.

CCI, Wolf, SuperX, Norma Tac22 & Federal GMM were the best performers.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Winchester m22 (black box, black bullet) got me my as patch. It was the best out of m22, golden bullets, auto match, and minimag. This is from a heavy bbl 10/22 target model however.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have been watching this thread for a few days, and I have to say, Im very proud on INGO right now. Roughly 30 post's, and no one is talking about their 1 hole groups at 100 yds with there stock 10-22.

Very few places on the net will that happen.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have been watching this thread for a few days, and I have to say, Im very proud on INGO right now. Roughly 30 post's, and no one is talking about their 1 hole groups at 100 yds with there stock 10-22.

Very few places on the net will that happen.

That's so right it actually caused me to chuckle. All you left out is "if I do my part". :):

AR 1022

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Darmstadt
    Hi there Everyone. I am new to the group but have over 45 years of knowledge of the RUger 10/22... I have also started my own chat forum and my own Ruger 10/22 business. Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle and is ready right out of the box... Though right away it really not the quarter size shooter unless you do a few things to it... The worst problem of the RUger 10/22 is the Harmonics... This is a huge thing that needs to be addressed... I dont have the article and video that was done about this... I wrote this about 3 years ago... I explains everything you need to do to get that great shot one after another... First need to look at your stock... certain parts of the stock need to have clearance from where the metal does not tough the wood of the stock... also the channel of the stock... Barrel should be completely free floating... There also need to use a special bolt buffer... No metal to metal touching... Reduces the vibration when shooting... Also need to use special washers to reduce vibration as well.. if you deaden the vibration in your rifle... You will have that better shot... If your interested... Come and check out all the info i have in my group... I have made the largest File Menu i have seen on any other Forum... Its very informing to anyone who has questions... Like I said, I have been around for 45 years on these rifles... I have contacts from the president of Ruger to many Accessory companies i have created through the years... If interested, Go to Facebook... Type in Americas Ruger 10/22 Forum... This is where I have all this info...

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    We finally made it back to the range today with my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT, to see if we could improve upon the group that I posted earlier in this thread. The first thing we learned, and I hope this makes sense, is that after the first fired group we made adjustments to the scope because the rifle seemed to be shooting high and left a couple inches, but ended up right back where we started after about 30 or 40 shots. I presume this is due to barrel heat? I've also put about 700 rounds through this rifle now, with only one misfire. I really must disagree with whoever called these things jam-o-matics in another thread. I also have yet to clean this rifle after about 700 rounds. Perhaps that figures into these results which I hope you all can help me learn something from.

This is from 100 yards, shooting off bags. I'll admit I'm a bit frustrated and mildly disappointed with these results. The winds felt pretty calm and the Ruger BX trigger is really, really excellent. We brought 100 rounds of ammunition to the range and these were the two best five shot groups. The targets are 2 inches in diameter. Getting all five in the black was difficult, and these two groups are right at 1.5 MOA each. One target has a shot at 12 o'clock just outside the black; the other has a mark at 3 o'clock just outside the black which isn't a bullet hole. Most of the groups featured four in the black with a flyer, or three in the black with two flyers.

Is this reasonable with CCI standard velocity ammunition, or should I expect more with a custom rifle like this? How much difference could CCI green tag or something like Eley match grade ammunition make? Or am I beating my head against the wall if I don't clean the rifle spotlessly every time and shoot the same number of rounds through it before looking for results, just to make the barrel heat as consistent as possible?

I know there's really no end to this game when it comes to the amount of time and money you can spend looking for precision, I'm just really curious to where this stands considering the money, time and effort we've put in this far.

IMG_0194.jpg IMG_0195.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom