Am I expecting too much out of my stock 10/22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    10/22 doesnt, have a rigid enough platform for reliable long range accuracy, they will walk around the bullseye, their great for what they are, short range plinking machine, most accurate ammo I've seen shoot consistently in a number of different 10/22s, CCI SGB.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think a bone stock 1022 w promo ammo, lucky to get 1" @ 50 yards.
    Even if you can squeak half that at 50............that doesn't mean you automatically get 1" or under at 100.
    But I suppose some folks on the web think it does.
    My 1022 is no target rig. I'm cool widit.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    my 10/22 with stock barrel looked like a shotgun pattern at 100M , Shaw barrel , BX trigger , thumbhole stock , Agulia extra ..... 1MOA at 100M .....most days......great plinker but when you want tack driver ......ANSCHUTZ .....I have almost the same money in my 10/22 as I do in my used 64 MS-R and my 64 WILL out perform my 10/22 all day ,any day
    a bone stock 10/22 is for teaching 10 year olds to shoot , not tack driving targets

Aron

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have a couple of 10/22's,one with a Broughton and another with a Lilja bbl.that will agg in the .3's at 50 yards,using Lapau Midas or Eley Tenex. You may get an occasional group like this with blazers,mini mags,etc.but try 5, 10 shot groups @ 50 yrds. and average them out.3/4" groups at 100 with a 10/22-again once in a while.The NBRSA world record for 8,10 10 shot groups @ 100 is .8411",with a full blown bench rifle and ammo.I shot beside one of my best friends in St.Louis in 1992 when he shot what is still the world record for 5-5 shot groups @ 50 yards-.199" ave.I came in second with a .217" agg.He was shooting an Anschutz with a 36x B&L and I was shooting a Rem.40x with a 36x Leupold.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I happened across this thread I started last year. I had searched for "Ruger 50th anniversary " because I've decided to try to sell mine and wanted an idea of value.
    It was interesting rereading the posts here. Both or my 10/22s and my 795LTR are all still shooting in the 3-4" range with ammo they each like. They are great for plinking and general playing around but I was reall wanting to work on my precision shooting and they just didn't have the accuracy to use them for practice. A couple months ago I stopped in PSS just to look around, not planning to buy anything. They had a CZ 455 on the rack. Needless to say I brought it home with me. This rifle has the accuracy out of the box I have been looking for. The stock is rather uncomfortable and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired but otherwise, it's fantastic.
    I shot several hundred rounds on Monday with a variety of different ammo. CCI SV and Federal Match were both pretty equal as the best shooting. My 10-22's favorite Blazers were a bit off in this rifle but not terrible. Still way better groups than what I could get out of my 10/22s. I believe this rifle is showing me my inaccuracies that just weren't noticeable in my 10/22 groups.
    My best group was 4 shots in a horizontal line all touching with the 5th shot about 3/4" above the 4. Most other groups were in the 1 1/2" range. There were several with 3 or 4 shots in nice tight groups(hide all 4 under a nickel) with a flyer or two.
    Someone mentioned scope power earlier. I have found both with this rifle and my other larger caliber rifles that any more than 7X @100yds tends to make me shake more. I'm guessing that I'm seeing it move off target more at higher powers and trying to muscle it back which I likely overshoot and end up chasing the bull. Lower power I don't see the movement so I stay a bit more relaxed.
    I'll keep my original wood carbine and my 795LTR but it's time to find a new home for my Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary Appleseed edition. As soon as I get some pics, I'll post an ad in the classifieds here.

Thanks for the responses and help,
    Matt

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You mentioned finger groove. That would make the older of the two 10/22's into the classic age for the rifle. Those barrels were well made but they are not match grade. They are reliable grade easy to shoot without jam's misfeeds ect. The mass produced models of all firearms have issues and the 10/22 was designed with mass production as the major factor in mind.

Call randy at CPC and see what he can do with your classic finger groove. Shipping to and from does not require a FFL shipping. If you call him expect the phone to ring a nice long time. I highly recommend Randy. Lots of people spend a lot of money after marketing up a 10-22 chasing tails when the reciever is not perfectly flush ect. His semi-match freematch chamber is wonderful but does not work with hyper velocity ammo. Have had Randy rework a couple 10-22 sometime a full tuneup. Other times just a basic.

I like a higher mag scope for even for 50 yards 24 x ect. Fine dot 1/8 clicks. Nice bags rest ect. Never personally had a 10-22 that was a true bench rest under 1 inch shooter. Have a kimber 82 G that does real well it should at twelve pounds.

Getting ready for a build on a ten twenty two. Thinking more along the lines of a custom receiver. This will be a first build but Randy has reworked a couple nice old ones into great guns when I got deals on them.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    yea i would say that is decent for a stock 10/22 at 100yds. .22 does not like wind, even at 100. In addition to that, the 10/22s from the factory arent anything special in terms of 100yd accuracy. If you threw a volquartsen barrel on it or something im sure those groups would shrink in half...

Also, maybe try different types of ammo?

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    If it's worth chiming in this late in the thread.

4" groups is what I have found to expect for a stock 10-22 with bulk ammo.

If you find what it likes, you can cut the groups in half.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've never seen actual evidence of a stock 10/22 breaking sub MOA more than half the time, even with Lapua Midas, never mind whatever bulk pack some keyboard commando shoots "just as well." It's just not stiff enough or precise enough.

There are some very accurate 10/22s out there, but they have a LOT of money in them-- they fell of the top of the aftermarket tree and hit the Kidd, Volquartsen, and all other branches on the way down. These are $2k+ rifles in many cases.

I don't consider those 10/22s any more than if you swapped the radiator cap from an F-150 onto a Ford GT and starting claiming how well my "F-150" cornered.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I happened across this thread I started last year. I had searched for "Ruger 50th anniversary " because I've decided to try to sell mine and wanted an idea of value.
    It was interesting rereading the posts here. Both or my 10/22s and my 795LTR are all still shooting in the 3-4" range with ammo they each like. They are great for plinking and general playing around but I was reall wanting to work on my precision shooting and they just didn't have the accuracy to use them for practice. A couple months ago I stopped in PSS just to look around, not planning to buy anything. They had a CZ 455 on the rack. Needless to say I brought it home with me. This rifle has the accuracy out of the box I have been looking for. The stock is rather uncomfortable and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired but otherwise, it's fantastic.
    I shot several hundred rounds on Monday with a variety of different ammo. CCI SV and Federal Match were both pretty equal as the best shooting. My 10-22's favorite Blazers were a bit off in this rifle but not terrible. Still way better groups than what I could get out of my 10/22s. I believe this rifle is showing me my inaccuracies that just weren't noticeable in my 10/22 groups.
    My best group was 4 shots in a horizontal line all touching with the 5th shot about 3/4" above the 4. Most other groups were in the 1 1/2" range. There were several with 3 or 4 shots in nice tight groups(hide all 4 under a nickel) with a flyer or two.
    Someone mentioned scope power earlier. I have found both with this rifle and my other larger caliber rifles that any more than 7X @100yds tends to make me shake more. I'm guessing that I'm seeing it move off target more at higher powers and trying to muscle it back which I likely overshoot and end up chasing the bull. Lower power I don't see the movement so I stay a bit more relaxed.
    I'll keep my original wood carbine and my 795LTR but it's time to find a new home for my Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary Appleseed edition. As soon as I get some pics, I'll post an ad in the classifieds here.

Thanks for the responses and help,
    Matt

Nice pick up on the CZ.
    I thought about one of them.
    I went to check them out but walked out with the Ruger American Rimfire for less than half the money. I'm cheap so that's the way I went.
    I'm very happy with the American RimFire. I've been killing old golf balls at 80 yards all day long with it. Paper gets boring after so many decades.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The trigger on your 455 is adjustable.

Yes, I got mine down to about a pound even with just a basic Fastenal spring I cut down. It's great, and it's cheap. Can't ask for more than that.
    The rifle, not as cheap. But I don't regret the premium of a CZ rimfire.

Top Bottom